Berkeley vs. Duke (24k/year)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nomo

Silver

Re: Berkeley vs. Duke (24k/year)

Postby Nomo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Post total COA's. You should know these.

Are you sure you want to bank on PSLF being around in its current form 14 years from now? That's a long time. And we're all aware of the recent Obama proposal . . . What happens when Republican control the government sometime in the next 14 years.

With your goals, you really should be trying to attend a good school for less than 60k. UCLA and USC should be primary targets.

wowhio

Bronze

Postby wowhio » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:27 am

Nomo wrote:Post total COA's. You should know these.

Okay, the assumption that I don't know them is condescending and kind of offensive.

I've made it clear that I'm uncomfortable banking on PSLF throughout this entire thread. It's why I hesitate to attend Berkeley... Also yes, I could spell out the literal exact COA for each but I'll tell you right now... It's $72,000 different, Berkeley being more expensive.

I think I've gotten all the use I can get out of this thread.

Nomo

Silver

Postby Nomo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:37 am

wowhio wrote:

Okay, the assumption that I don't know them is condescending and kind of offensive.

I've made it clear that I'm uncomfortable banking on PSLF throughout this entire thread. It's why I hesitate to attend Berkeley... Also yes, I could spell out the literal exact COA for each but I'll tell you right now... It's $72,000 different, Berkeley being more expensive.

Not trying to be condescending. Sorry I came off that way. But, I doubt its 72k different. Cost of living at Duke might be cheaper so you're probably saving some money there. And if you save some in cost of living that also means less interest piles up over the 3 years and 9 months it takes before that first payment comes due. There is a reason for the notice at the top of this forum that asks you to post total COA at all schools . . . But, sure nobody in their right mind is going to tell you to pay sticker at Berkeley - so the answer is obviously Duke if there really are no other options.

wowhio

Bronze

Postby wowhio » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:39 am

Okay, thanks for your input.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:53 am

Nomo wrote:Not trying to be condescending. Sorry I came off that way. But, I doubt its 72k different. Cost of living at Duke might be cheaper so you're probably saving some money there. And if you save some in cost of living that also means less interest piles up over the 3 years and 9 months it takes before that first payment comes due.

The OP mentioned in the OP about taking Duke's cheaper cost of living into account; it almost exactly offset the cheaper in-state tuition at Boalt (within $1K).

But, sure nobody in their right mind is going to tell you to pay sticker at Berkeley - so the answer is obviously Duke if there really are no other options.

But somebody in their right mind would tell the OP to go $150K into debt at Duke if the goal is California PI? People are giving advice ITT as if the OP is interested in NYC big law.

lawschool22

Gold

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:08 am

wowhio wrote:

People like to see the actual COA and not just the relative difference, since the total amount of debt (not just the difference) factors into our recommendations.

$72k vs $144k is a different decision than $172k vs $244k, for example.

Since you know COA, it shouldn't be hard to post it.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 am

rpupkin wrote:
Nomo wrote:
But, sure nobody in their right mind is going to tell you to pay sticker at Berkeley - so the answer is obviously Duke if there really are no other options.

But somebody in their right mind would tell the OP to go $150K into debt at Duke if the goal is California PI? People are giving advice ITT as if the OP is interested in NYC big law.

Duke isn't great for OPs goals but Berk at sticker is both relatively and objectively worse

wowhio

Bronze

Postby wowhio » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:22 pm

Signing out. Thanks everyone for your help.

lawschool22

Gold

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:36 pm

wowhio wrote:Signing out. Thanks everyone for your help.

What did you choose?

blink

Bronze

Postby blink » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:38 pm

I can't believe Berkeley didn't match any of the offer. Did you use the strongest possible language in your negotiation? ("Boalt is my absolute top choice and any substantial increase in merit aid would result in my immediate deposit at Berkeley.")

Return to “Choosing a Law School�