Michigan ($) v Georgetown ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
certifiedglutenfree

New

Michigan ($) v Georgetown ($$)

Post by certifiedglutenfree » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Hey guys,

It's coming close to seat deposit time and I'm torn between Michigan (~$25,000/yr) and Georgetown ($40,000). My only real preference is I'd like to practice on the East Coast after graduating. Does either school give me better odds of doing so and at what costs? Appreciate any advice offered!

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Re: Michigan ($) v Georgetown ($$)

Post by aboutmydaylight » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Posts COAs. Both will get you to NYC, Michigan places better and is probably worth the cost difference.

muskies970

Bronze

Post by muskies970 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:22 pm

With 40k scholarship and no other money Gtown is about $115,00 which is right on the cusp of good or bad decision.

Michigan with 25k would put you at around $170,000 in debt which I would say is a bit high from Michigan unless you are dead set on PI.

That doesn't factor in a slightly cheaper COA in Ann Arbor or working during summers though.

Sgtpeppernyc

Bronze

Post by Sgtpeppernyc » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:32 pm

I'm a graduating 3L at GULC. From anecdotal experience, I'd say something like 35% of people have biglaw jobs (and I got my biglaw job with a gpa that was almost dead median). The other benefit of GULC is that you can easily extern anywhere in the federal government - my 2L fall, even with a median gpa i had interviews at the DOJ, FTC, and FCC, and ended up interning for an FCC commissioner. During the semesters, agencies basically hand out externships, which you can do for credit.

I think Michigan has higher biglaw placement rates, but you're not exactly getting dog shit at GULC. PM me if you have any other questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”