Duke with 90k v. NYU at sticker - Help!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BrainsyK

Re: Duke with 90k v. NYU at sticker - Help!

Postby BrainsyK » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:08 am

melmelcoolj wrote:Ah, let me bring this thread back to life. How about Duke with 60K and NYU at sticker? Which one would you choose?

It's still Duke.

melmelcoolj

Postby melmelcoolj » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:56 am

BrainsyK wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:Ah, let me bring this thread back to life. How about Duke with 60K and NYU at sticker? Which one would you choose?

It's still Duke.

Let's add in the equation that my parents are paying, so I'm not taking out any loans for myself. That said, I don't want to squander my parents' money for we're not the Trumps. But they are well-off, and either decision would not make a huge difference to their life. I prefer NYU a little more for personal reasons. But I feel bad for squandering their money, for I only want BigLaw, and neither the LRAP program nor the good PI opportunities at NYU matter to me.

BrainsyK

Postby BrainsyK » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:49 am

melmelcoolj wrote:Let's add in the equation that my parents are paying, so I'm not taking out any loans for myself. That said, I don't want to squander my parents' money for we're not the Trumps. But they are well-off, and either decision would not make a huge difference to their life. I prefer NYU a little more for personal reasons. But I feel bad for squandering their money, for I only want BigLaw, and neither the LRAP program nor the good PI opportunities at NYU matter to me.

Overall COA will also be 10k less at Duke so over the course of 3 years, you save 70k not just 60k. That could be a down payment on a house or any number of things. If your parents are only willing to pay for education, I guess it depends how horned up you are at the idea of working at a V10--probably still not worth it.

melmelcoolj

Postby melmelcoolj » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:06 am

BrainsyK wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:Let's add in the equation that my parents are paying, so I'm not taking out any loans for myself. That said, I don't want to squander my parents' money for we're not the Trumps. But they are well-off, and either decision would not make a huge difference to their life. I prefer NYU a little more for personal reasons. But I feel bad for squandering their money, for I only want BigLaw, and neither the LRAP program nor the good PI opportunities at NYU matter to me.

Overall COA will also be 10k less at Duke so over the course of 3 years, you save 70k not just 60k. That could be a down payment on a house or any number of things. If your parents are only willing to pay for education, I guess it depends how horned up you are at the idea of working at a V10--probably still not worth it.

True. And Duke is actually giving me more than 60K. Ah, I probably should just go to Duke and be happy with it. I probably shouldn't be that reality TV spoiled Asian daughter...Thanks for your advice Brainsyk.

JWalker

Postby JWalker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:51 pm

OP fortunately seems to have made the right choice already but just to add another +1 to Duke, I went to NYU at sticker over Duke with 72 or 75k (it's been many years...can't remember which) largely because my parents were paying for my education as well. I absolutely, absolutely loved my time at NYU. In retrospect, however, it was very selfish of me to turn down Duke.

Zipman

Postby Zipman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:59 am

Duke Duke Duke

melmelcoolj

Postby melmelcoolj » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:21 am

Zipman wrote:

Duke Duke Duke

Yeah, I remember us having this conversation on PMs. I think you might be right.

stego

Postby stego » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:00 am

I am going to NYU and I think you should go to Duke.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”