Wanting to work in Texas, choosing between UVA and UTexas

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UTexas or UVA?

Texas, total COA 65Kish
27%
Virginia, total COA 75Kish
73%

Total votes: 55

jordan_spieth

New

Re: Wanting to work in Texas, choosing between UVA and UTexas

Postby jordan_spieth » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:20 pm

I'm a 3L at UT and stumbled across this website while procrastinating studying. I want to put a plug in for my soon to be alma mater. I think that what you said earlier about building a network in Texas while you're in law school is right. I'll have friends at every big firm in Texas after I graduate and can't imagine a better network for being a lawyer in Texas. I also took a class at McCombs and now play a lot of golf with MBA students I met through that. Almost all of them are staying in Texas to work at I-Banks in Houston. Also just living in Austin and being around for game day, SXSW, and ACL has been a great way to meet people who went to UT for undergrad and now work in Texas. I didn't go to college in Texas so going to UT has been a great way for me to build a network here.

I don't know anything about UVA other than that I didn't get in, and I'm not even really sure where its ranked. I clerked with a bunch of kids last summer who went there, so Texas firms obviously hire out of UVA.

Also, the 50% number at UT for big law is pretty accurate in my experience. I think I was somewhere around 40%-50% in my class and was able to get two big law clerkships. I got the impression though that I was at the bottom of the acceptable range.

3L2014

New

Postby 3L2014 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:56 pm

UVA is the clear winner, much more likely to get biglaw. And i think TX ties, means you get a good shot at TX (better than UT IMO) and NY if that fails

Workingtitle

New

Postby Workingtitle » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:01 pm

I just want to say thank you to everyone for giving your input. I thought about it long and hard, for many days and....... then decided to just flip a coin. It came up UVa 3 times.

So naturally I'm going to Texas.

Just kidding. I paid my seat deposit at UVa today :) And I'm glad I didn't see your response sooner, Jordan Speith. It would have made me doubt my decision!

Law Sauce

Silver

Postby Law Sauce » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Workingtitle wrote:I just want to say thank you to everyone for giving your input. I thought about it long and hard, for many days and....... then decided to just flip a coin. It came up UVa 3 times.

So naturally I'm going to Texas.

Just kidding. I paid my seat deposit at UVa today :) And I'm glad I didn't see your response sooner, Jordan Speith. It would have made me doubt my decision!

Congrats, good choice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�