BU vs BC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
psyduckiscool

New

BU vs BC

Post by psyduckiscool » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:03 pm

A few of my thoughts so far:

(1) COA is coming out to be about 25k cheaper at BC than at BU, 85k vs 110k respectively.
(2) Goals are firm work or clerking. Not necessarily BigLaw or Fed Clerkship, though I am interested in keeping those doors open should I become interested in those avenues.
(3) I'd love to live in the New England area, though I do like the Mid Atlantic as well-NYC/DC and would like to keep those options open.
(4) Areas of Interest- Tax, environmental, IP, healthcare law
(5) Qualitative points- I like a cooperative feel to the school, I really want accessible profs/alums and a DEVOTED CSO.

I'd really appreciate any input on this. Thanks in advance.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Re: BU vs BC

Post by jenesaislaw » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:40 pm

psyduckiscool

New

Post by psyduckiscool » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:48 pm

Woah, no idea LST had this, thanks man.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:48 am

Go to whichever is cheaper.

If you want to keep doors open, aim higher than these two schools.

eagles2013

New

Post by eagles2013 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:57 pm

If you're really set on IP or Health Law, has to be BU. They are pretty dedicated to it there.

When I visited both, it seemed like BU probably had professors more devoted to the students, whereas the BC professors seemed a little more devoted to the school. That might not make sense, but the only way I can really put it I guess.

As a BC UG grad, I can say the career center as a whole is very good. Not sure specifically about the law school-specific career center there. Also not sure about the BU career services, but they did just hire a new director who seems to be very well connected - Harvard grad, BC Law grad, Bingham McCutchen Alum who actually developed and ran Bingham's recruiting program.

BU's firm and clerking numbers are a little higher, but not by much. Quoting one of the career services officers at BU at admitted students day, "BC does better in state and local government than we do." BC does tend to have somewhat better placement in Boston and the MA area, but BU says they are more focused on national placement (not sure how much of this is true).

As a BC UG alum, I can say that BC alumni are seemingly more enthusiastic when it comes to providing support to fellow alums. BC has a strange inferiority complex that I think boosts its alumni to undying love and support for the school and its products. Not to say that BU alumni are not willing to help out their fellow alums, but there is something in the water at BC.

I am also trying to decide between the two (although they matched scholarships with each other, taking money out of the equation) and it is very difficult. You did not mention this point, but BU's new building is going to be beautiful and open this fall, which is becoming a big factor for me. It quite frankly makes BC's buildings look like high school facilities. The professors also had a say in its design, which is pretty cool.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Don't listen to the 0L above.

If one of BC/BU is cheaper beyond like a couple grand, go with the one that's cheaper...always. Don't think about some negligible difference in fedclerk placement, or some negligible difference in biglaw placement. It really is not significant to the point that it should even enter your equation.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that BC and BU are the exact same price (though I am aware that they are not, in your situation).

If you want to work in Boston, go to BC. The network is simply stronger and more helpful, in all areas. Something about being an eagle just seems to elicit more passion than being a terrier, or whatever BU is. The additional advantage is that you'll also have a huge community of Bostonians who went to BC undergrad (and maybe a different LS) who you can reach out to, for that reason alone. Furthermore, while BU might have a 1-lsat point edge, and a slight USNWR ranking edge at this very moment, the general consensus in Boston is that BC is the better LS. You can find this wisdom all over TLS, and practicing attorneys will generally echo this as well (maybe unless they are BU alums). Will that change in the next few decades if BU stays a bit ahead of BC? Maybe, maybe not...but hopefully you should have an established enough career in 30 years that it won't matter.

If you want NYC or DC, I would say it's a tossup...but you would be better off going to Fordham/Cornell; or GW/Gtown (respectively). It would almost be silly to go to BC or BU if your goal is those regions.

Additionally, if you want PI or gov, go to BC. Numbers-wise, it places far better in these areas than BU every year. From what I hear, there is an utter de-emphasis from BU on public sector careers, aside from fedclerk.

Lastly, if you want CA or some other region, go to BU. But, again, if you want CA or some other region, you should probably be going to peer schools (broadly defined) in the region you want to practice, even if you end up sacrificing a bit in the bullshit rankings to do so.

And to respond one more time to OP above, none of these "emphasis" or "program rankings" things matter. They are all epic marketing ploys to get 0L's like you guys to pick their school. The way to specialize in a particular area as a student/entry level is to hustle (meaning network, do all internships in that area), period. Generally speaking, this program bullshit does not carry any weight in the real world.

eagles2013

New

Post by eagles2013 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Although this guy seems a little hostile ^^, I must let you know that I am just sharing some things I noticed about the two and that might interest people beyond the typical career % numbers and . Not everything is about placement and prestige!

On IP and health law - networking and getting experience is important in ending up there, but BU also offers a dual degree JD/Masters in Public Health (which is a near top 10 program). As far as IP, there are far more professors at BU specializing in IP than at BC. Might this not mean anything if you get the right jobs/know the right people? Yes. But, if you want to learn more about it (or concentrate in it), BU has an edge (https://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/jd/c ... iplaw.html).

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:43 pm

eagles2013 wrote:Although this guy seems a little hostile ^^, I must let you know that I am just sharing some things I noticed about the two and that might interest people beyond the typical career % numbers and . Not everything is about placement and prestige!

On IP and health law - networking and getting experience is important in ending up there, but BU also offers a dual degree JD/Masters in Public Health (which is a near top 10 program). As far as IP, there are far more professors at BU specializing in IP than at BC. Might this not mean anything if you get the right jobs/know the right people? Yes. But, if you want to learn more about it (or concentrate in it), BU has an edge (https://www.bu.edu/law/prospective/jd/c ... iplaw.html).
There was nothing hostile about my comment. I was only pointing out that you are a 0L, and you are falling into the marketing trap that schools in general (this isn't even about BC and BU) WANT you to fall into. "Oh we have so and so program and a special webpage about it." That should not factor into your decision, because it is highly unlikely to increase your chances of getting a job.

Let's say, for example, that school A has a clinic in a certain kind of work that is ranked top 10 in the nation, and school B does not have one...but every other factor weighs in favor of choosing school B. All that this distinction means is that you can sign up for the "___ clinic," and that most school do not have a clinic by that title. What 0L's do NOT realize, however, is that many schools have a general "semester-in-practice" type clinic where you can literally get credit for doing almost any job in any field you want, thereby rendering this distinction between schools moot...or at least relatively unimportant compared to regional placement, cost, and perceived prestige. Furthermore, the vast majority of legitimate schools have at least one professor who specializes in virtually every area of law who can mentor you in this via Sem in Practice or Independent Study, or what. If anything, using this logic, going to a school with less of a well-advertised type of program could help you to distinguish yourself because you could get more individual attention from a given professor who specializes in this field and he/she would be more willing to make phone calls on your behalf.

it's not your fault though--a 0L wouldn't be expected to really know any of this.

For that reason, IMO, it's one thing for 0L's to ask for/get advice in the pick-a-law-school forums, but giving advice when you know as little, if not less, than the person asking the question...is a bit frowned upon, IMO, for precisely the reason we discussed above.

Additionally, your suggestion that one should even consider choosing BU over BC when BC is CONSIDERABLY cheaper is ridiculous and, for lack of a better term, naive.

eagles2013

New

Post by eagles2013 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Although this is a forum of lawyers, I do not wish to hijack this person's thread with an argument, so I will not do so. However, as far as monetary concerns go - send the BU aid office your BC scholarship information if that is the difference. They have matched BC's offers on two separate application cycles for me.

I do not claim to know the intricacies of law schools and placement into jobs, for which I concede to the wisdom of the older and more learned members of the forum, but I do think that it is good to research the opportunities available at these schools. Experiential learning is great (and BC is actually moving their Center for Experiential Learning in house, which I forgot to mention before and is significant), but I would say the option for a dual degree with a top MPH program is a significant consideration if looking seriously into health law.

I know next to nothing about success in IP, so my suggestion there may have been ill-informed. I am interested in the military and government, after all.

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”