Interested in patent law - GW Law @ sticker or Emory w/ $80k Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
undecided101

New

Interested in patent law - GW Law @ sticker or Emory w/ $80k

Post by undecided101 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 am

Hey! I would appreciate if the current students and graduates on this forum could give me their thoughts about my choices. I'm patent bar eligible - B.S. Chemical Engineering from a top 20 school, although with some pretty low undergrad engineering grades. I don't have much of a geographic preference, although I want to be in a metropolitan city.

GW Law - full tuition

Emory Law - $80k for all 3 years

SMU Dedman - about $100k
Last edited by undecided101 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Interested in patent law - GW Law @ sticker or Emory w/ $80k

Post by Nova » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:42 am

Attending GW at sticker would be a really bad financial move

undecided101

New

Post by undecided101 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:49 am

Yeah I thought so too. But GW has a huge alumni base in IP and they seem to do very well at placing their students with engineering backgrounds into IP firms.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:54 am

undecided101 wrote:Yeah I thought so too. But GW has a huge alumni base in IP and they seem to do very well at placing their students with engineering backgrounds into IP firms.
You're not understanding the part where you have to pay back 300k, where, even in the best possible scenario, you don't even break even on your loans until 2023. And that's asking that a lot of things go your way (getting IP biglaw, avoiding stealth layoffs for 4-5 years, not committing suicide after working your third 70-hour week in a row)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:42 am

Moved to appropriate forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

undecided101

New

Post by undecided101 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:57 am

twenty wrote:
undecided101 wrote:Yeah I thought so too. But GW has a huge alumni base in IP and they seem to do very well at placing their students with engineering backgrounds into IP firms.
You're not understanding the part where you have to pay back 300k, where, even in the best possible scenario, you don't even break even on your loans until 2023. And that's asking that a lot of things go your way (getting IP biglaw, avoiding stealth layoffs for 4-5 years, not committing suicide after working your third 70-hour week in a row)
Twenty -

Thanks for your response. You bring up a good point, that the high cost of GW makes it a risky financial decision. However, your points are exaggerated and/or not applicable in my situation.

- The sticker price for a GW law degree is approximately $210k (not $300k), and my parents will be giving me an interest-free loan. 52,000*3 (tuition) + 1,500*3 (books) + 1,300*9*3 (rent with a roommate in DC) + 4,000*3 (pocket expenses if I live frugally) = approximately $210k

- As an IP practitioner, I would not necessarily have to work in BigLaw to make a reasonable salary post-graduation. I am patent bar eligible (Chemical Engineering) and have work experience as a patent examiner, so patent prosecution is open to me. Depending on the firm, the starting salary for a patent prosecution boutique is $100k-$160k.

- Patent law is relatively healthy compared to other areas of law, so I'm not as concerned about layoffs.

- I have worked 60+ hours per week for the last decade of my life, can handle stress well, and am emotionally stable. I will most likely not commit suicide if put in a high-stress environment.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 am

Info like interest free loans would be helpful upfront since most of what goes into choosing a law school is balancing cost and prospects.

GW COA isn't worth more than like 100k. Paying 200k would be ripping yourself off like crazy.

Emory is just as good of a school, if not better. Take the money.

undecided101

New

Post by undecided101 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Nova wrote:Info like interest free loans would be helpful upfront since most of what goes into choosing a law school is balancing cost and prospects.

GW COA isn't worth more than like 100k. Paying 200k would be ripping yourself off like crazy.

Emory is just as good of a school, if not better. Take the money.
Nova -

Sorry, I'm new to this website, so didn't see the suggestion to include information about interest free loans, etc.

I agree with you that both GW and Emory will offer comparable qualities of education, and both are comparably ranked by the US News & World Report. However, my concern is how comparable the two schools are in terms of exit opportunities. DC has a high concentration of IP firms, and GW has an enormous alumni base in IP. Atlanta is a secondary market for IP and doesn't have as much of a national reach for patent law.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:53 pm

GW is objectively better for IP, but still not worth 210k. With no interest loans, Emory for 120k-130k isn't a terrible way to go. See if you can negotiate them up, but probably pull the trigger on that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:00 pm

I have a similar situation. Low UG grades, t20 chemengr school, GW c/o 2014. PM me if you want.

Jackie U

New

Post by Jackie U » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:17 pm

I went the high price route. Not my finest moment. Since then I have met people (mainly during SA) who choose way lessor debt and now I feel like a chump. On paper an $8500 net income looked doable in handling a $2500 monthly payment.

Trust me tuition debt makes a significant difference on how you get to live. Advice, good school with no (or little) debt is way more preferable.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Go with the highest employment score. With PAYE, debt is way less scary. If you aren't eligible for PAYE, i wouldnt go

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:48 pm

chem wrote:Go with the highest employment score. With PAYE, debt is way less scary. If you aren't eligible for PAYE, i wouldnt go
Yeah, no.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:59 pm

Jackie U wrote:I went the high price route. Not my finest moment. Since then I have met people (mainly during SA) who choose way lessor debt and now I feel like a chump. On paper an $8500 net income looked doable in handling a $2500 monthly payment.

Trust me tuition debt makes a significant difference on how you get to live. Advice, good school with no (or little) debt is way more preferable.
^ This. I traded in prestige for low debt. Can't tell you how many of my colleagues wish they'd done the same. There's something to be said for actually being able to save for a house and retirement while not being chained to biglaw because of your loans.

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 pm

undecided101 wrote:I am patent bar eligible (Chemical Engineering) and have work experience as a patent examiner, so patent prosecution is open to me. Depending on the firm, the starting salary for a patent prosecution boutique is $100k-$160k.
I assume they're no longer paying for your law school at the PTO? Also, if 60+ hour work weeks don't faze you, why not just go part-time at GW and work at the patent office?

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:23 pm

InTheHouse wrote:
undecided101 wrote:I am patent bar eligible (Chemical Engineering) and have work experience as a patent examiner, so patent prosecution is open to me. Depending on the firm, the starting salary for a patent prosecution boutique is $100k-$160k.
I assume they're no longer paying for your law school at the PTO? Also, if 60+ hour work weeks don't faze you, why not just go part-time at GW and work at the patent office?
PTO discontinued that program in 2009, although it is rumored to be returning this year.

Also, OP didn't say that they're currently working at the PTO, just that they have experience as an examiner.

I do agree that work + PT would make this a (more) palatable plan.

undecided101

New

Post by undecided101 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:22 pm

deuceindc wrote:
InTheHouse wrote:
PTO discontinued that program in 2009, although it is rumored to be returning this year.

Also, OP didn't say that they're currently working at the PTO, just that they have experience as an examiner.

I do agree that work + PT would make this a (more) palatable plan.
Working as a patent examiner is valuable for 1-2 years, but afterwards, there isn't much to learn. I don't see much of a benefit for myself to work at the PTO during law school, as I already had that experience pre-law school. I suppose the pay is decent, but there are other jobs in the industry that I can potentially get without a law degree, i.e. patent prosecution, that are more valuable in terms of the skills that I'll learn.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

undecided101

New

Post by undecided101 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 pm

InTheHouse wrote:
Jackie U wrote:I went the high price route. Not my finest moment. Since then I have met people (mainly during SA) who choose way lessor debt and now I feel like a chump. On paper an $8500 net income looked doable in handling a $2500 monthly payment.

^ This. I traded in prestige for low debt. Can't tell you how many of my colleagues wish they'd done the same. There's something to be said for actually being able to save for a house and retirement while not being chained to biglaw because of your loans.
I think your reasoning is valid, assuming that I graduate near the top of my law school class. If I am in, say, the top 20% of either Emory and GW, my employment opportunities will be pretty good. I could potentially even place into the DC market from Emory, and it wouldn't have mattered which school I had chosen. That said, I should take the lower cost option, since I'll be highly employable either way.

But say I fall at the median of my law school class. This is a likely scenario, considering that law school grades are notoriously unpredictable. Or, even worse, I rank in the bottom half of my class. In this scenario, GW would offer better employment opportunities because of its reputation in the IP industry and because IP firms heavily recruit from GW. An extra $80k might be worth it in this scenario.

InTheHouse

Bronze

Post by InTheHouse » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:14 pm

undecided101 wrote:
InTheHouse wrote:

I think your reasoning is valid, assuming that I graduate near the top of my law school class. If I am in, say, the top 20% of either Emory and GW, my employment opportunities will be pretty good. I could potentially even place into the DC market from Emory, and it wouldn't have mattered which school I had chosen. That said, I should take the lower cost option, since I'll be highly employable either way.

But say I fall at the median of my law school class. This is a likely scenario, considering that law school grades are notoriously unpredictable. Or, even worse, I rank in the bottom half of my class. In this scenario, GW would offer better employment opportunities because of its reputation in the IP industry and because IP firms heavily recruit from GW. An extra $80k might be worth it in this scenario.
I think the employability of GW graduates has more to do with the graduates and their technical background than anything GW does.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:46 pm

InTheHouse wrote:
I think the employability of GW graduates has more to do with the graduates and their technical background than anything GW does.
+1. An EE from GW or Emory will net u the same number of offers.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:42 am

Jchance wrote:
InTheHouse wrote:
+1. An EE from GW or Emory will net u the same number of offers.
This is untrue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:00 pm

You really wanna talk yourself into GW, huh?

Re take for a scholarship if you really wanna go there.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:22 pm

OP's parents are loaded (who has 210,000 liquid post-2009 zzz) so all the debtmongering is a little overblown. Sounds like he's getting a free degree and will be quite employable, although MS or PhD is preferable to BS for patent pros.

Emory and GW are peers. Negotiate with GW for higher scholarship. I'd take Emory, but yolo when you own the means of production.

Reason I'm not jumping on taking the exam again is because Im guessing OP is a splitter.

Over the top

New

Post by Over the top » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:19 pm

Aren't employers going to Emory in droves after the new rankings?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:23 pm

DON'T.

DO IT.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”