BC v BU v NEU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
eagles2013

New

BC v BU v NEU

Post by eagles2013 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:13 pm

Hello friends. I posted a similar thread last year, but decided to take a year off to work and save up some money before applying again. This worked out, because my scholarships are significantly larger than last year and I have some decent savings, but I still have a tough decision.

-The schools you are considering

Boston College
Boston University
Northeastern University

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.

BC: 200k - 90k (scholarship) = 110k
BU: 200k - 90k (scholarship) = 110k
Northeastern: 198k - 112.5k = 85.5k

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings:

Living expenses = combination of family assistance, savings, and income from part time work during the year/internships over the summer. I don't expect to take out much, if any for loans here.

Rest of tuition = loans. Most likely amounts to total debt of ~50k from BU/BC and ~28-30k from NEU

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)

I am from Philadelphia, and would like to work in the northeast eventually (Boston, NYC, Philadelphia areas)

Not necessarily a place, but I am a BC grad. Double Eagle status is apparently revered in the BC Alum community

-Your general career goals

Could think about biglaw to pay off loans if grades are there, but eventually interested in Army JAG and prosecution

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

168/3.6

-How many times you have taken the LSAT

northwood

Platinum

Re: BC v BU v NEU

Post by northwood » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:23 pm

narrow it down to BC/ BU. New England has horrible prospects. ( not to mention that its only 15K cheaper than BC BU). Look at job prospects from median at both and go to the best. if its a tie, flip a coin/ look at other criteria to make a decision.

underwood15

New

Post by underwood15 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:24 pm

I am also deciding between BC and BU. I get the sense that both are great options and are very similar, but BC has the slight edge with alumni connections. Therefore, I say BC. Also, once an eagle, always an eagle :)

However, how are you calculating the cost of attendance? If you have a 90k scholarship to BC and tuition is $44,000, you would be paying <$15,000 per year. So, a total of maybe $45,000-$50,000 in loans overall, if you are paying for your living expenses from savings. $50,000 for BC is well worth it, especially to get a job in big law. Not sure about your prospects for JAG though, I don't know much about BC in that area.

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 pm

Scratch Northeastern. Paying $25k more to drastically increase your chance at BigLaw is definitely worth it. I believe BC's most recent BigLaw + fed clerkship score is a good bit higher than BU's, but you would definitely want to fact-check me on that.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:30 pm

If that's legitimately how much you'll take out in loans (50K), I'd say personal preference of BU or BC. Not too bad of an investment for either.

I would deposit at both, retake in June, and see which will give you more dough upon retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Also, you need to factor John Kerry into the equation. And I suppose factor in BC doing a good bit better than BU in employment stats.

eagles2013

New

Post by eagles2013 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:If that's legitimately how much you'll take out in loans (50K), I'd say personal preference of BU or BC. Not too bad of an investment for either.

I would deposit at both, retake in June, and see which will give you more dough upon retake.
Is an increase in scholarship after a retake (assuming a higher score) when already deposited common? I can't say that I've heard of that option before.

underwood15

New

Post by underwood15 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:45 pm

yes, definitely. Although you are already >75% for both schools' LSAT medians so I'm not sure how much it would help to retake/ if it is worth the effort. It is up to you though!

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:45 pm

There are far more BC grads in the MA prosecutorial community, IMO. I also think BC's biglaw numbers have been slightly better than BU's recently.

scratch northeastern unless they'll give you a full ride or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Yeah there's record of people having success with it. If you have the free time, I'd say it's worth a try. It's a total no-lose situation.

While improving might not impact either school's 75s, if you get > 170, you'd have a lot more opportuinties in the next cycle, which gives you leverage for more money now, and gives you legit options (e.g. Penn) if you want to wait another year.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:15 pm

I'd deposit at BC and retake. 50k debt is reasonable as long as you want to work in New England, but if you improve to 170+, I'd sit out and apply again next cycle.

eagles2013

New

Post by eagles2013 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks all for the advice! As if I needed any more swaying toward BC...

I have admitted students day at BU this Friday, so we will see what happens after that. Right now, I am leaning toward the strategy of depositing at BC and then taking the LSAT again in June (apparently some trickster made a certain word that shall not be named default to Good luck! Follow your dreams! today).

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 pm

eagles2013 wrote:Thanks all for the advice! As if I needed any more swaying toward BC...

I have admitted students day at BU this Friday, so we will see what happens after that. Right now, I am leaning toward the strategy of depositing at BC and then taking the LSAT again in June (apparently some trickster made a certain word that shall not be named default to Good luck! Follow your dreams! today).
Correct decision IMO

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Last edited by kimkardashian on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Last edited by kimkardashian on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:10 pm

kimkardashian wrote:I'm really struggling with the choice between BU and BC as well. I visited both this weekend and enjoyed both Preview Days immensely. BU gave me $20k (originally $15k but they raised it) and BC gave me $30k (originally $15k but they also raised it). At those prices, I won't need any loans for either school, thankfully. Paying less is obviously preferable though.

It's frustrating for me because I can't figure out which experience would be better. I think the quality of education would be the same (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm basically looking at whether I'd be happier living in Boston or right outside of it. These are my major thinking points:

1) city life - pro or con?
I've lived in a large city for the past few years for my undergrad so I would really like to experience "college" with a suburban campus and a close student body. At the same time, I'm afraid of losing opportunities by not being in the city, and, on a less important note, of being bored. As a New Yorker, I dislike city life because of even the simplest of tasks (doing laundry, getting groceries, getting to a friend's place) are so unnecessarily difficult bc you have to lug stuff around in the freezing cold and get on the subway, whereas if I went to BC, I'd just hop in my car and probably have in-building laundry provided. I know these are minor quibbles and that Boston is very different from NYC, but law school is going to be super stressful, so I don't want to add extra stress if I don't have to, and I feel like living near BC would be less stressful than living near BU.

2) student body - which school has a happier one?
I've heard BC called the "Disneyland of Law Schools" and I certainly found that all the students I met there were very friendly and close to each other. Yet when I visited BU, the students there seemed close and friendly too...so I guess both student bodies are happy, from what I've personally witnessed. My friend goes to BC Law currently and says the stereotype holds true, and that they didn't just pick the happiest and friendliest students to put on a show at Preview Day. I don't have any friends from BU Law so I can't compare. At my city undergrad school, there was no community amongst students, so I want to avoid that. I can't help but feel that a suburban campus would foster more community than a city one. However, BU and BC have similar class sizes (~200), so I can't imagine that they're not all friends with each other when there's only 200 people in each grade.

3) setting
Right now, BU Law is ugly. The rooms are incredibly hot, the elevators are tiny and slow, the building layout is poorly designed, and nothing is aesthetically pleasing. However, they're opening a new state-of-the-art building in time for the 1Ls next year, which is great. Unfortunately, the old building (which is connected to the new one) is going to go through renovation over the next year (2014-2015), which means students will have to listen to annoying construction all year long. Also, the library is still going to be ugly and the faculty offices are going to be temporarily displaced while they renovate the old building. The thought of having to sit through this transitional period for BU Law is irritating. Plus I don't trust that the construction on the old building will finish within a year.

BC is nicer at the moment, but if I had to choose between BU's newly renovated building and BC's older, prettier, yet not-renovated building, I'd say BU's new one would win because the acoustics in BC's classrooms are kinda bad. I was sitting in the second to last row during a mock class and I couldn't hear anything the students were saying, and sometimes I couldn't hear the professor either. Some aspects of BC Law are a bit dated. Furthermore, their cafeteria food is meh and it's not like there's any place to quickly grab lunch or coffee from an outside vendor near campus like there is at BU. I'd probably be packing lunch on most days, but still, it'd be nice if BC had more food options, or at least a nice coffee shop.

4) social life
From what I've heard, BC Law students usually head to the same local bars every weekend. This appeals to me because I think it fosters community. I'm not single and haven't been for years, so exploring new nightclubs and bars every night doesn't appeal to me. As an undergrad, we would go to different places all the time and always be mingling with complete strangers, usually much older than us, and I personally don't care for that kind of experience at this time in my life. I'd much rather go to the same comfortable places where everyone knows each other and you don't have to worry about cover charges, promoters, dressing up in stilettos, the fear that comes with walking home/taking the subway in a tight dress at night, and all the other BS that comes with going out in the city. But I'm suppose people don't go out much during law school anyway so I'm not sure if this should even be a factor in my decision.

5) job placement / employment
I don't know where I want to work but I definitely want to stay in the northeast. Boston and NYC would be fine by me. I hear BC places better regionally and BU places better nationally. The Law School Transparency scores for both schools look similar enough to me that I don't know if there's a significant difference in employment prospects.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/bc/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bu

Ultimately I just want to (somewhat) enjoy the next three years of my life. I think I would be pretty happy at both schools and could manage either way, which is why this is such a difficult choice for me. Does anyone have any input as to which I should choose? Sorry if the points I raised sound petty or stupid. It's just that I didn't love my undergrad city experience and I don't want to make the same mistake twice.
Flip a coin. The schools are basically identical and neither are national.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”