UVA ($$$ - Dillard) vs. Stanford Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA ($$$ - Dillard) vs. Stanford

UVA (free)
79%
Stanford ($188K)
21%

Total votes: 100

sabrina8740

New

UVA ($$$ - Dillard) vs. Stanford

Post by sabrina8740 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:42 pm

I've seen a bunch of threads about full-tuition scholarships at CCN vs HYS but nothing for UVA yet, so here we go.

-Schools/COA
UVA: Free tuition, total COA approximately $66K (assuming all stated fees, COL, and 5% increase per year) - so, technically $0 since I can cover this with existing savings

Stanford: Full cost, total COA approximately $188K at graduation (includes all stated fees, COL, 5% increase on tuition/fees/COL per year; Stafford at 5.41%/6.41%/7.41% and Grad Plus at 6.41%/7.41%/8.41% interest), includes existing personal assets and $12K estimate for 2L summer earnings

Financial Situation: Savings of approximately $80K (enough to pay the first full year at Stanford or living expenses all three years at UVA) - this amount is included in the estimate above, which is why Stanford comes in under $200K. All expenses past the $80K will be financed using loans. Due to personal/family assets, I don't qualify for any need-based aid from Stanford.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any):
Currently located in DC and am looking to return here after graduation, although I would also consider NYC. No significant ties elsewhere.

-Your general career goals:
Federal clerkship, a few years in big law (anti-trust?) for the experience and the money, long-term - interested in government (but we'll see if this shifts once I get to school)

-LSAT/GPA numbers excluded as I'm not interested in retaking or reapplying. Also, I'm not interested in CCNP, so retaking/waiting and trying to get one of those scholarships is not on my mind. Also didn't apply to Harvard or Yale.

-Additional information
I've visited Charlottesville/UVA and really like the city and the school, and would definitely enjoy my three years there. The Dillard scholarship also comes with extra perks like a faculty mentor, which I'm interested in. The stipulation is only a 2.3 (which is the same thing you need for good academic standing), so I'm not concerned about losing the scholarship or having the value decrease. I've been out of school for a few years already and am interested in minimizing debt so I can start saving for a house, etc. But, it's Stanford. I know I would love it, and I'm also not blind to the significant long-term career benefits that name will bring.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Re: UVA ($$$ - Dillard) vs. Stanford

Post by aboutmydaylight » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:56 pm

sabrina8740 wrote:I've seen a bunch of threads about full-tuition scholarships at CCN vs HYS but nothing for UVA yet, so here we go.

-Schools/COA
UVA: Free tuition, total COA approximately $66K (assuming all stated fees, COL, and 5% increase per year) - so, technically $0 since I can cover this with existing savings

Stanford: Full cost, total COA approximately $188K at graduation (includes all stated fees, COL, 5% increase on tuition/fees/COL per year; Stafford at 5.41%/6.41%/7.41% and Grad Plus at 6.41%/7.41%/8.41% interest), includes existing personal assets and $12K estimate for 2L summer earnings

Financial Situation: Savings of approximately $80K (enough to pay the first full year at Stanford or living expenses all three years at UVA) - this amount is included in the estimate above, which is why Stanford comes in under $200K. All expenses past the $80K will be financed using loans. Due to personal/family assets, I don't qualify for any need-based aid from Stanford.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any):
Currently located in DC and am looking to return here after graduation, although I would also consider NYC. No significant ties elsewhere.

-Your general career goals:
Federal clerkship, a few years in big law (anti-trust?) for the experience and the money, long-term - interested in government (but we'll see if this shifts once I get to school)

-LSAT/GPA numbers excluded as I'm not interested in retaking or reapplying. Also, I'm not interested in CCNP, so retaking/waiting and trying to get one of those scholarships is not on my mind. Also didn't apply to Harvard or Yale.

-Additional information
I've visited Charlottesville/UVA and really like the city and the school, and would definitely enjoy my three years there. The Dillard scholarship also comes with extra perks like a faculty mentor, which I'm interested in. The stipulation is only a 2.3 (which is the same thing you need for good academic standing), so I'm not concerned about losing the scholarship or having the value decrease. I've been out of school for a few years already and am interested in minimizing debt so I can start saving for a house, etc. But, it's Stanford. I know I would love it, and I'm also not blind to the significant long-term career benefits that name will bring.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Seems like you're overestimating costs for S. How could you possibly end up 188k debt at graduation with 80k of savings? Also if your savings go down to 0 after 1L they may increase financial aid for 2L. Either way, I'd take UVA here. Stanford certainly isn't worth that much more.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:06 pm

I would also take UVA, given your desire to end up on the East Coast and the huge difference in debt.

I also would have applied to (and be interested in) Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and Penn, but I'm sure you have your reasons...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:12 pm

Congrats. UVa for free is incredible. Loving Charlottesville is simply icing on the cake. You seem to be approaching this rationally and wholesomely, which bodes well for your future in law.

Best of luck!

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Congrats. UVa for free is incredible. Loving Charlottesville is simply icing on the cake. You seem to be approaching this rationally and wholesomely, which bodes well for your future in law.

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

retaking23

Bronze

Post by retaking23 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:23 pm

Given the fact that you've been out of school for a few years, I'm going to assume you will graduate from law school in your late 20s or early 30s. Compound this age factor with the fact you want to own a home and like UVA, I think choosing Stanford would be the less reasonable choice.

I am usually in support of the HYS> everything else dogma but I don't think you can go wrong with the Dillard here.

jayman12

New

Post by jayman12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm

k
Last edited by jayman12 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trig

Bronze

Post by Trig » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:38 pm

transferror wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Congrats. UVa for free is incredible. Loving Charlottesville is simply icing on the cake. You seem to be approaching this rationally and wholesomely, which bodes well for your future in law.

Best of luck!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Trig wrote:
transferror wrote:

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:53 pm

Can't go wrong either way - I really have no opinion because I've said both ways too many times on this - Stanford opens up crazy amazing opportunities and you'l never regret it and UVA for free with the Dillard which will be on your resume for life as well (and which people will obviously know you got into HYS) so honestly it's preference there's no wrong answer here - both options are amazing - congratulation and good luck.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Trig wrote:
transferror wrote:

Best of luck!

Plus not having any debt ( and having some money left over in your savings account) is a huge bonus.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:26 pm

you gotta take the dill pickle here

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:30 pm

If DC is your goal I'd take the Dillard.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sabrina8740

New

Post by sabrina8740 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks everyone for your input! It's nice to see what I've been thinking/feeling isn't totally off base... sometimes a little validation is all you need.

I'm visiting Stanford this weekend so we'll see if Faye and the beautiful California weather can sway me, but I'm pretty confident the end result will be UVA. I'll update the thread when I make a final decision.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:01 am

forgot to add: as someone also considering the dill pickle, I believe it includes fees and tuition increases, so that should lower ur COA a bit

a.sleepyhead

Bronze

Post by a.sleepyhead » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:16 am

james.bungles wrote:forgot to add: as someone also considering the dill pickle, I believe it includes fees and tuition increases, so that should lower ur COA a bit
+1 also considering the Dillard, I know it at least covers tuition increases.

sabrina8740

New

Post by sabrina8740 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:47 pm

For what it's worth, I'm going with the Dillard. Uva is an amazing school, and graduating without any debt is an offer I can't pass up. Just wanted to let you all know the final result! It always bugs me to read these posts and wonder what people end up deciding.

Hope to see some of you in the fall!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:51 pm

Congrats!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 pm

sabrina8740 wrote:For what it's worth, I'm going with the Dillard. Uva is an amazing school, and graduating without any debt is an offer I can't pass up. Just wanted to let you all know the final result! It always bugs me to read these posts and wonder what people end up deciding.

Hope to see some of you in the fall!
Good choice. Enjoy UVA

dwil770

Gold

Post by dwil770 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 pm

Debt gets paid off and fades. Prestige is forever. Good luck with your decision.

manu6926

Bronze

Post by manu6926 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Last edited by manu6926 on Sun May 25, 2014 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:05 pm

dwil770 wrote:Debt gets paid off and fades. Prestige is forever. Good luck with your decision.
:roll:

Pretty sure it's the exact opposite. You'll never get that quarter million back, but in twenty years no one will give a shit that you went to Stanford.

Great choice OP. Good luck!

dwil770

Gold

Post by dwil770 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:07 pm

cotiger wrote:
dwil770 wrote:Debt gets paid off and fades. Prestige is forever. Good luck with your decision.
:roll:

Pretty sure it's the exact opposite. You'll never get that quarter million back, but in twenty years no one will give a shit that you went to Stanford.

Great choice OP. Good luck!
Good point, nevermind

name of user

New

Post by name of user » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:52 pm

I took a T14 (not UVA) full ride over HY. Sooooo glad I did.

I vote UVA!

3L2014

New

Post by 3L2014 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:07 pm

UVA

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”