To defer or not to defer Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pancakes12

Bronze

To defer or not to defer

Post by Pancakes12 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:22 pm

I have to make up my mind by May 1st if I'm going to defer HLS for two years. I am a recent graduate now working in an industry that I believe will be looked upon favorably during law school hiring. My biggest concern is the debt. I will have some savings and expect to get some need-based aid. I will have about 20k left in federal student loans from undergrad in two years' time. Also, it maybe shouldn't be a consideration, but I want that Harvard prestige and it's a dream to go to Harvard.

Should I:

a) Defer HLS two years.
b) Apply to schools in two years and take a big scholarship.

-The schools you are considering: HLS. No use considering deferrals at others schools since you can't keep any scholarship you recieve.
-How you will be financing your COA: It will be financed entirely through savings and loans. If I defer two years, I expect to have about 25k saved. I expect to get some need-based aid (not sure how much--my parents have a combined income of about 70k)
-Where you are from and where you want to work: I'd like to end up in BigLaw on the east coast. I'd also take BigLaw in Pittsburgh but I'm not sure if I could afford it with the debt.
-Your general career goals: BigLaw --> Fed Clerkship --> Biglaw --> ?
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers: Above HLS's 75ths.
-How many times you have taken the LSAT: once

Winston1984

Gold

Re: To defer or not to defer

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:43 pm

If you are above Harvard's 75ths, then you have a shot at Ruby/Hamilton. I would definitely take one of those instead with a goal for biglaw. You won't care about the prestige when you get to see all of your check, while your coworkers have $2000+ of theirs going to loan repayment every month.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Agreed go for the Hamilton, Ruby, Vanderbilt. Enjoy a wonderful life thereafter.

lecsa

Bronze

Post by lecsa » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:25 pm

Keep in mind that if you defer COA will probably be at least 60k+ more expensive while salaries aren't going up.

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:31 pm

lecsa wrote:Keep in mind that if you defer COA will probably be at least 60k+ more expensive while salaries aren't going up.
How to you get 60k?

And how do we know salaries won't go up? I think it's unlikely, but do we know?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lecsa

Bronze

Post by lecsa » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:40 pm

Last edited by lecsa on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:45 pm

Pancakes12 wrote:I have to make up my mind by May 1st if I'm going to defer HLS for two years. I am a recent graduate now working in an industry that I believe will be looked upon favorably during law school hiring. My biggest concern is the debt. I will have some savings and expect to get some need-based aid. I will have about 20k left in federal student loans from undergrad in two years' time. Also, it maybe shouldn't be a consideration, but I want that Harvard prestige and it's a dream to go to Harvard.

Should I:

a) Defer HLS two years.
b) Apply to schools in two years and take a big scholarship.

-The schools you are considering: HLS. No use considering deferrals at others schools since you can't keep any scholarship you recieve.
-How you will be financing your COA: It will be financed entirely through savings and loans. If I defer two years, I expect to have about 25k saved. I expect to get some need-based aid (not sure how much--my parents have a combined income of about 70k)
-Where you are from and where you want to work: I'd like to end up in BigLaw on the east coast. I'd also take BigLaw in Pittsburgh but I'm not sure if I could afford it with the debt.
-Your general career goals: BigLaw --> Fed Clerkship --> Biglaw --> ?
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers: Above HLS's 75ths.
-How many times you have taken the LSAT: once
you will need to reapply for need based aid regardless of deferring. your aid doesn't get deferred. so this is what's going to happen:

now - your 2013 tax return says you made $0, and your parents have lo income, and you have more than $20K in loans and $0 savings. you can expect about $20K + /year in need based aid.

2 years - you'll reapply for financial aid (you have to fill out your FAFSA every year, as you probably know already), but your 2015 tax return will say you made $50K (I'm guessing hypotheticallt), you will have paid back student loans and have savings. you can then expect about $0K in need based aid.

happened to me, true story. sucks balls, wish someone told me that financial aid doesn't defer.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:45 pm

Harvard will also count any savings you put together against whatever need based aid they were going to give you. So saving money over the next two years doesn't matter. If you're going to go to Harvard, do it this year. But I'd recommend applying for a different T-14 full ride next cycle.

lecsa

Bronze

Post by lecsa » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Last edited by lecsa on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Pancakes12 wrote:I have to make up my mind by May 1st if I'm going to defer HLS for two years. I am a recent graduate now working in an industry that I believe will be looked upon favorably during law school hiring.

what industry and whats your salary? i was an engr and made $100K/year. i regret that for the reasons I stated above and PM'd you about. much better if you just go pwn at harvard and get good grades.

i mean wats your end goal here? i also wasnt sure of lawl school was for me. i wanted to climb the corp ladder a bit and see what happened. you seem to be set on lawl school, so dont do a job just bc you think it'll be favorable during law school hiring. the MOST favorable thing is gonna be that H on your resume and good grades. by far most valuable. no amount of work experience gets you an interview at cravath if you dont have the school/grades.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:48 am

I've been told you can defer scholarships. :?

ETA: from some schools

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:16 am

scoobers wrote:I've been told you can defer scholarships. :?

I've heard this only for NU

AFP

New

Post by AFP » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:27 am

Pancakes12 wrote:
scoobers wrote:I've been told you can defer scholarships. :?

I've heard this only for NU
I can confirm that scholarships are deferred with UChi as well (though I assume that a Ruby is an exception).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:30 pm

I understand why everyone says to just take a scholarship at another t14, but it's so tough to turn down harvard. Plus there's so much pressure from my friends and gf to attend. They think I'm stupid to consider turning it down.

dobryden

New

Post by dobryden » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Pancakes12 wrote:I understand why everyone says to just take a scholarship at another t14, but it's so tough to turn down harvard. Plus there's so much pressure from my friends and gf to attend. They think I'm stupid to consider turning it down.
I acknowledge that pressure to take prestige exists, but this is such a large, critically important, and life-changing decision that you absolutely cannot succumb to peer pressure from your friends because "they think you're stupid" to make it.

You're not stupid. You got into Harvard. That ends that argument.

But you would be stupid if you lived your life and made huge financial decisions to gain the approval of your friends. You wouldn't (or at least, shouldn't) go into debt for a yacht or a house because your friends would think you're stupid if you didn't. Why should making this financial investment be any different?

Live your own life.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:15 pm

dobryden wrote:
Pancakes12 wrote:I understand why everyone says to just take a scholarship at another t14, but it's so tough to turn down harvard. Plus there's so much pressure from my friends and gf to attend. They think I'm stupid to consider turning it down.
I acknowledge that pressure to take prestige exists, but this is such a large, critically important, and life-changing decision that you absolutely cannot succumb to peer pressure from your friends because "they think you're stupid" to make it.

You're not stupid. You got into Harvard. That ends that argument.

But you would be stupid if you lived your life and made huge financial decisions to gain the approval of your friends. You wouldn't (or at least, shouldn't) go into debt for a yacht or a house because your friends would think you're stupid if you didn't. Why should making this financial investment be any different?

Live your own life.
In addition to all of this, just say you are too badass for Harvard. Tell your friends you are a peacock and they got to let you fly.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:10 pm

I highly doubt any of these friends are lawyers.

"Dude, you turned down a free legal education at CCN for near-sticker at Harvard with a goal of Biglaw? Wow, what an idiot!" - nobody who knows anything about legal hiring.

I have a feeling your friends would also tell you to take Harvard over Yale at equal cost.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:36 pm

Does my desire to clerk still not make HLS worth it?

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:00 pm

Also note that it's difficult to defer HLS for 2 years unless there's a real reason (like TFA, peace corps, etc. that tend to run on 2 year terms).

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:07 pm

thewaves wrote:Also note that it's difficult to defer HLS for 2 years unless there's a real reason (like TFA, peace corps, etc. that tend to run on 2 year terms).
HLS's deferral policy is actually extremely liberal. Deferrals are granted so long as they're submitted on time. At ASW, I met a guy who deferred the year prior to literally do nothing but work hourly wage jobs and travel spontaneously.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Pancakes12 wrote:
thewaves wrote:Also note that it's difficult to defer HLS for 2 years unless there's a real reason (like TFA, peace corps, etc. that tend to run on 2 year terms).
HLS's deferral policy is actually extremely liberal. Deferrals are granted so long as they're submitted on time. At ASW, I met a guy who deferred the year prior to literally do nothing but work hourly wage jobs and travel spontaneously.
waves is correct. For 2 year deferrals, my impression was they were not granted unless you were deferring for a defined two-year opportunity (e.g. TFA). I would be surprised if they granted a two year deferral just because someone wanted to work and pay off debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pancakes12

Bronze

Post by Pancakes12 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:30 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Pancakes12 wrote:
waves is correct. For 2 year deferrals, my impression was they were not granted unless you were deferring for a defined two-year opportunity (e.g. TFA). I would be surprised if they granted a two year deferral just because someone wanted to work and pay off debt.
Again, this is wrong. I was told during my interview that if I get a job then I should defer HLS two years and work since they are starting to value work experiencee more. You could also look at their website. As long as you have defined a two-year time span with some type of activity that isn't insane, it's extremely unlikely to be turned down.

Now, could someone please answer my actual question about the clerkship opportunities and whether HLS would be worth it.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:33 pm

well harvard places twice as many people in federal clerkships as columbia, so i'd say that's probably worth about $300k.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Clerking is a cool experience, but I'm not really sure how it fits in with your career goals. You might end up on the transactional side, where a clerkship is less clearly useful. It's also not clear how much of an advantage the HYS name gives you in the clerkship application process. I've heard that HLS emphasizes clerkships from day one. My school, OTOH, had a clerkship lunch that conflicted with like five other good lunch talks on the same day, so I didn't go. Different interest levels could account for some of the placement difference.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”