Stanford vs. Chicago for Texas Biglaw? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BleekerSuits

New

Stanford vs. Chicago for Texas Biglaw?

Post by BleekerSuits » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 pm

I made a post a little while ago comparing Chicago with Columbia and a couple other schools for Texas and Chicago seemed to be the consensus pick. Now, thanks to fortuitous circumstances, I can add Stanford to the list. Any idea on how they compare for Texas?

I loved Stanford when I visited (unfortunately won't be able to make it to ASW) but looking at employment stats, it seems like ~2% of their class ends up in Texas vs. ~7% at Chicago. Is this more due to self selection or does Chicago have some kind of alumni connection that I'm not aware of that helps students place in Texas? I heard there was a club for Texans looking to head back that had excellent placement. All of my ties are to Texas and it's my top priority to end up back there, hopefully at a Big 3 or strong regional office. If anyone has any recruiting experience at either school can you shed some light on how Texas firms look at grades at both schools? How would straight P's at Stanford compare to median at Chicago?

I'm assuming minimal aid from Stanford and ~$20k/year from Chicago. Through savings and generous parents, I hopefully won't have a substantial debt burden at either school, but cost is still an important consideration.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: Stanford vs. Chicago for Texas Biglaw?

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:09 pm

I'd try to negotiate Chicago up to 90k and go there

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:11 pm

BleekerSuits wrote:I made a post a little while ago comparing Chicago with Columbia and a couple other schools for Texas and Chicago seemed to be the consensus pick. Now, thanks to fortuitous circumstances, I can add Stanford to the list. Any idea on how they compare for Texas?

I loved Stanford when I visited (unfortunately won't be able to make it to ASW) but looking at employment stats, it seems like ~2% of their class ends up in Texas vs. ~7% at Chicago. Is this more due to self selection or does Chicago have some kind of alumni connection that I'm not aware of that helps students place in Texas? I heard there was a club for Texans looking to head back that had excellent placement. All of my ties are to Texas and it's my top priority to end up back there, hopefully at a Big 3 or strong regional office. If anyone has any recruiting experience at either school can you shed some light on how Texas firms look at grades at both schools? How would straight P's at Stanford compare to median at Chicago?

I'm assuming minimal aid from Stanford and ~$20k/year from Chicago. Through savings and generous parents, I hopefully won't have a substantial debt burden at either school, but cost is still an important consideration.
Chicago does have an unusually dedicated alumni base in Texas, such that it would probably make sense to pick Chicago over say, Columbia or NYU, but Stanford will still give you a better shot at Texas biglaw than Chicago.

BleekerSuits

New

Post by BleekerSuits » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:26 am

Anyone else have any experience?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Straight P's at S would be substantially below median, I believe. So it's not an apt comparison. I think you would be fine coming from either so long as you have ties. I would probably pay $50,000 premium for Stanford, but not more. I agree with the first poster that if you can raise your UChi scholarship a little and SLS doesn't come through with a large grant package, Hyde Park is the better choice (why go $250,000 in debt for the same job)?

Either way, both great options congrats.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:48 pm

I think your chances are equally good at both. At equal cost I'd choose Stanford mostly for the weather, but I absolutely would not pay 60k more for Stanford over UChi for Texas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”