Georgetown vs. W & M vs. GW vs. Fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which law school should I attend?

Georgetown (sticker)
35%
GW
13%
W & M
13%
Fordham
38%

Total votes: 52

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Georgetown vs. W & M vs. GW vs. Fordham

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Good afternoon. So here's my situation. I am waitlisted at Columbia, and I still await an answer from NYU. Here are my current options, with aid and COA and debt figures included:

• Georgetown has accepted me without a scholarship offer. Debt = $288K
  • GW has offered a $105,000 scholarship plus the Stafford and the Graduate PLUS loans. COA = $129K
  • W & M has offered me one that amounts to $31,000 a year (including the graduate fellowship), but I'm still waiting to hear back on their needs grants. COA: $71K
  • Fordham has offered me $35,000 a year. COA: $71K

I am planning on renegotiating with Fordham, and negotiating with GW and W & M.
St. John's has offered me a full scholarship...I think you guys will have fun picking that one apart, lol.

My numbers: 3.75 UG GPA / 167. I got a 162 on my first go. I am an URM Hispanic, the son of immigrants.

Those are the hard data points. I reside in the NYC area, and plan on working either here or in D.C. Basically, the Northwest region of the US. My primary interest is in federal government work and working with an international NGO like Human Rights Watch. International affairs is my passion. These two cities have huge amounts of NGOs and Federal Agencies, so I see no reason to move outside of it. In the future, I wish to work for international tribunals or the ICC in the Hague. But since this isn't a dreamland, I understand that I may not be able to do this either ever or in the near future. I do want to work in international affairs, though, as I like global issues, traveling, and seeing other cultures (plus why not help the world and leave it a better place than I found it?). In terms of quality of life, I am comfortable with both city and small-town living. It doesn't really matter to me.

Assuming I will have to take out loans to cover the sticker prices or the remaining costs, which school would be the best fit? Any advice would be appreciated. If you wish for more information, I will provide it. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Pragmatic Gun on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

justonemoregame

Silver

Re: Georgetown vs. W & M vs. GW vs. Fordham

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:56 pm

What would be your estimated level of debt upon graduating from each school?

Could you live at home if you chose Fordham?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:44 pm

justonemoregame wrote:What would be your estimated level of debt upon graduating from each school?

Could you live at home if you chose Fordham?
I live in NYC. One of the outer boroughs; Fordham and NYU are both an hour away by subway. I will amend my post to include debt levels.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:50 pm

These COAs don't seem correct. Did you just add up the COA for one year and multiple that by 3? You need to account for tuition increases and interest accruing. Georgetown and BU have good calculators.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 pm

I am really surprised by the people voting for Fordham.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Do you have debt from UG?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:32 pm

at the risk of ignoring your directions, you do realize that with a 170+ and outstanding essay, you would be more than competitive for a full ride, named scholarship at Fordham? Or some decent cash at GULC. Why pay them when they will pay you?

staysha

New

Post by staysha » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:34 pm

Negotiate with Fordham, but that seems like the best choice here.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 pm

1. you need to readjust your goals. Look at the jobs graduates from these schools are actually getting (well the ones that are getting any jobs)

2. You are underestimating your debt, as said above

3. you haven't maxed out your retakes, so do that if you actually "want to have a career and advance to a position of responsibility and power."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:28 pm

james.bungles wrote:1. you need to readjust your goals. Look at the jobs graduates from these schools are actually getting (well the ones that are getting any jobs)

2. You are underestimating your debt, as said above

3. you haven't maxed out your retakes, so do that if you actually "want to have a career and advance to a position of responsibility and power."
Your first two points are fair. I understand these costs don't include interest and PI Loan Repayment schemes. Each school would pay out different amounts. The GULC calculator actually gives me a lower overall cost for W & M and Fordham, while the BU calculator gives me a higher cost, so I'm not sure what to use, except the middle value.

Would re-taking the test a third time reflect poorly on my application?

Furthermore, I've already negotiated with Fordham and they matched my scholarship offer from W & M. Shall I ask again? What would I say? I have no debt from UG. I received a scholarship.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:08 am

These schools would consider a June score for more money this cycle btw

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:29 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:17 am

MistakenGenius wrote:
james.bungles wrote:These schools would consider a June score for more money this cycle btw
My thoughts as well. Try to get higher. I am in the minority on this board to say that there are schools that probably take retakes into account (HYS maybe CCNB), that said, none of these schools have that issue. Definitely retake and grab money at Georgetown or some more full rides.
Do you have any anecdotal evidence to back this up? Re-taking the LSAT would require a huge time commitment for me in terms of studying and I would prefer to use my time wisely. But if it does happen, then I would do it. It's a good investment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:38 am

Did you apply to the T14-T5 schools? UVA? Penn? Duke? This seems like a very weird spread of schools with your scores.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Did you apply to the T14-T5 schools? UVA? Penn? Duke? This seems like a very weird spread of schools with your scores.
I applied to Yale (reject), and in my post I said I was waitlisted to Columbia and I'm waiting on NYU. I don't want to apply to Harvard, as I know I will be
miserable there. I do regret not applying to Stanford or U of Virginia (so stupid).

I really have no interest leaving the Northeast region/Middle Atlantic region.

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Those numbers make you a lock for Cornell.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Is it too late to blast an app to Cornell? Check to see if the application is still open on lsac.org. Other schools might still take apps too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:19 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:
james.bungles wrote:These schools would consider a June score for more money this cycle btw
My thoughts as well. Try to get higher. I am in the minority on this board to say that there are schools that probably take retakes into account (HYS maybe CCNB), that said, none of these schools have that issue. Definitely retake and grab money at Georgetown or some more full rides.
Do you have any anecdotal evidence to back this up? Re-taking the LSAT would require a huge time commitment for me in terms of studying and I would prefer to use my time wisely. But if it does happen, then I would do it. It's a good investment.
If you want to be a lawyer/chase unicorn jobs, how could you use your time any more wisely than retaking the LSAT? Honest question- what could you possibly spend your time on right now that would help your future career more?

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:21 pm

Isn't GULC fairly generous with need-based aid, or at least it gives some most of the time, right? Just because you don't get merit aid doesn't mean you pay full sticker.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:32 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Pragmatic Gun wrote:
MistakenGenius wrote:
If you want to be a lawyer/chase unicorn jobs, how could you use your time any more wisely than retaking the LSAT? Honest question- what could you possibly spend your time on right now that would help your future career more?
Pursue another means of achieving my goals which don't involve grueling tests and months of waiting while I work regular 9-5 jobs. I'm not going to retake the test just to have the law school say "sorry, don't care. try next cycle." The number of retakes are going to affect my chances of entry. Further, I could drop in score. So with all due respect, spare me the rhetoric. This isn't such an easy decision as make it seem.

I don't need statistics, anecdotal evidence is enough.
Last edited by Pragmatic Gun on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staysha

New

Post by staysha » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:38 pm

Retaking is best option. Your previous 2 takes will have almost no impact, if any.

Second best option is Fordham. And yes, you should continue to negotiate even after they matched WM. I've gone back to schools 3+ times. Keep asking for more everywhere. It works.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 pm

The number of retakes won't negatively affect anything. Don't be a dummy.

What are these "other means of achieving my goals" that you speak of? If your goal is to be a real life lawyer doing stuff that 99% of real life lawyers can't, why wouldn't you go to the best school possible?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:The number of retakes won't negatively affect anything. Don't be a dummy.

What are these "other means of achieving my goals" that you speak of? If your goal is to be a real life lawyer doing stuff that 99% of real life lawyers can't, why wouldn't you go to the best school possible?
MY point is, does anyone know of anybody who got a higher scholarship offer after being accepted and taking the June LSAT? If people have done it and were successful, I'm down to do it.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:59 pm

staysha wrote:Retaking is best option. Your previous 2 takes will have almost no impact, if any.

Second best option is Fordham. And yes, you should continue to negotiate even after they matched WM. I've gone back to schools 3+ times. Keep asking for more everywhere. It works.
What are the benefits of Fordham over W & M or GW, besides its proximity to me and saving on housing?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Did you apply to the T14-T5 schools? UVA? Penn? Duke? This seems like a very weird spread of schools with your scores.
I applied to Yale (reject), and in my post I said I was waitlisted to Columbia and I'm waiting on NYU. I don't want to apply to Harvard, as I know I will be
miserable there. I do regret not applying to Stanford or U of Virginia (so stupid).

I really have no interest leaving the Northeast region/Middle Atlantic region.
Penn and UVA are in the "mid-Atlantic" region.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”