T2 --- Huge Scholarship Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nucky

Silver

T2 --- Huge Scholarship

Post by Nucky » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:46 pm

It's a T2, but they're offering full tuition plus a 30k stipend... Yes, 30 THOUSAND. I want to go T1, but haven't been offered any full scholarships to T1 and certainly nothing with full plus thirty grand in cash.

What the hell do I do? I can't say no to that --- can I?

PS: out of retakes.

ETA: only stip is good academic standing.
Last edited by Nucky on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyquest

Bronze

Re: T2 --- Huge Scholarship

Post by johnnyquest » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:48 pm

Nucky wrote:It's a T2, but they're offering full tuition plus a 30k stipend... Yes, 30 THOUSAND. I want to go T1, but haven't been offered any full scholarships to T1 and certainly nothing with full plus thirty grand in cash.

Which school? Numbers? You can PM, if you don't want to share on the thread.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51 pm

johnnyquest wrote:
Nucky wrote:It's a T2, but they're offering full tuition plus a 30k stipend... Yes, 30 THOUSAND. I want to go T1, but haven't been offered any full scholarships to T1 and certainly nothing with full plus thirty grand in cash.

I'll say this, it's a school in New Jersey. Only three there to choose from. But I don't want to say much more than that. I enjoy my anonymity.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:52 pm

Nucky wrote:
johnnyquest wrote:

I'll say this, it's a school in New Jersey. Only three there to choose from. But I don't want to say much more than that. I enjoy my anonymity.
:roll: :roll:

How is anyone supposed to give you advice with the information you've provided?

moar

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:54 pm

cotiger wrote:
Nucky wrote:
johnnyquest wrote:

:roll: :roll:

How is anyone supposed to give you advice with the information you've provided?

moar
Well, the three are essentially equal. So I think you guys can advise whether or not it is worth it....

I guess you need to know my other options as well, but I'm still waiting on most of my decisions though, so this MAY be moot in a few weeks. But I can't imagine I'd get a better offer than this, money-wise.
Last edited by Nucky on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 pm

sublime wrote:Stips?
Good question, stips are good academic standing. Basically, don't flunk out.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:57 pm

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 pm

mods wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT
What's the COA of other places you're considering?

Career goals?

I've seen you post a lot about the south. Do you have any connection to NJ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:00 am

sublime wrote:
Nucky wrote:
sublime wrote:Stips?
Good question, stips are good academic standing. Basically, don't flunk out.

Obviously dependent on your other offers, but I don't think that is bad at all, provided that you want to work in NJ.

Although fwiw, my best friend is still jobless after graduating from R-N last year, so there is risk in all of them. Just much less risk with very low COA
I haven't spent much time in New Jersey, so I'm really not sure how I feel about it. It definitely isn't the best school for my goals, but it's so much money and so risk free it is tough to envision the alternative --- massive debt and coin flips's chance at a decent career.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:03 am

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:05 am

Given lack of NJ ties its a non-starter.

Hopefully it turns out to be a good bargaining chip.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:06 am

cotiger wrote:
mods wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

LSU - free plus COL, Penn state - 20k year plus COL, UF (no scholly info yet), I've withdrawn from about 6 other schools and am waiting on about 15 more. I'm a splitter so I applied broadly, and I feel that many schools are holding my file until post-deposit deadline.
Career goals?

No, not really. But I'm a very sociable guy! :lol: I could always buy drinks for my classmates and locals with my stipend money, if need be.

Sorry for typos, on phone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:07 am

I mean, if the only thing you're spending is time, go for it I guess.

But those NJ schools are shit. The only reason they manage to even get to 50-60% legal employment is because a fuckton of their grads are in state and local clerkships: 29% at SH, 28% at R-N, and 34% at R-C.
Last edited by cotiger on Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:10 am

Nucky wrote:
cotiger wrote:

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

LSU - free plus COL, Penn state - 20k year plus COL, UF (no scholly info yet), I've withdrawn from about 6 other schools and am waiting on about 15 more. I'm a splitter so I applied broadly, and I feel that many schools are holding my file until post-deposit deadline.
Career goals?

No, not really. But I'm a very sociable guy! :lol: I could always buy drinks for my classmates and locals with my stipend money, if need be.

Free LSU would seem to be preferable for a southern gentleman like yourself.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:11 am

BigZuck wrote:Given lack of NJ ties its a non-starter.

Hopefully it turns out to be a good bargaining chip.
Basically, this. Worst case scenario.

I've moved around a lot my whole life(military kid). So I don't mind moving to a new place. As for employers, I can't imagine Philly/NY/NJ would care about ties in the way that a smaller less populated place would... Or would they?

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:13 am

cotiger wrote:
Nucky wrote:
cotiger wrote:

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

Career goals?

Free LSU would seem to be preferable for a southern gentleman like yourself.
I'm visiting them next weekend. Hoping I really like it , and it makes my decision easy. But that stipend would cover rent in a nice place and I wouldn't have to live like a vagabond for three years, so that's nice also... Lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:14 am

cotiger wrote:I mean, if the only thing you're spending is time, go for it I guess.

But those NJ schools are shit. The only reason they manage to even get to 50-60% legal employment is because they send a fuckton of people into state and local clerkships: 37% at SH, 33% at R-N, and 42% at R-C.
They very well could be shit, but isn't NJ weird in that the clerkship route is just kinda how its done? I don't know much about it, that's just the sense I got from reading on here.

Nucks, you can say the school bro, a quick google search is all it takes to figure it out.

If Houston cares about ties, I'm sure NJ cares about ties.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:17 am

BigZuck wrote:
cotiger wrote:I mean, if the only thing you're spending is time, go for it I guess.

But those NJ schools are shit. The only reason they manage to even get to 50-60% legal employment is because they send a fuckton of people into state and local clerkships: 37% at SH, 33% at R-N, and 42% at R-C.
They very well could be shit, but isn't NJ weird in that the clerkship route is just kinda how its done? I don't know much about it, that's just the sense I got from reading on here.

Nucks, you can say the school bro, a quick google search is all it takes to figure it out.

If Houston cares about ties, I'm sure NJ cares about ties.
I honestly don't know. But those positions make me even warier than all the 2-10 person firms because you don't know if there's a job waiting for them at the end of it.

Also, I goofed: those percentages are the percent of employed grads. Out of total grads should be SH 29%, R-N 28%, R-C 34%.

downinDtown

Bronze

Post by downinDtown » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:20 am

Nucky wrote:
johnnyquest wrote:

Is that stipend 30K total or per year??? It's pretty much risk free--sans the opportunity cost of 3 years of work/salary--if you get a job out of the deal. And not having any student loans to repay would be nice. But none of the NJ schools have employment numbers, that in my mind, would justify going to those schools and facing the risk of not getting a job.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:26 am

downinDtown wrote:
Nucky wrote:
johnnyquest wrote:

Is that stipend 30K total or per year??? It's pretty much risk free--sans the opportunity cost of 3 years of work/salary--if you get a job out of the deal. And not having any student loans to repay would be nice. But none of the NJ schools have employment numbers, that in my mind, would justify going to those schools and facing the risk of not getting a job.
It's $30k total... $30k per year and I'd likely go no questions asked. Lol.

I probably need to figure out my other options and repost this in a few weeks with a poll...

I do wonder about those clerkship though. I would very much like to know how the job market treats those clerks afterwards. If it treats them well, it could be a great deal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:30 am

Perhaps I could go > finish first year #1 in class > transfer to T14 > profit! :lol:

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:03 am

I can understand the desire to go to a higher ranked school, that is one heck of a scholarship. It would be hard to walk away from this unless you received another offer that you were particularly drawn towards.

Good Luck,

ronanOgara

Gold

Post by ronanOgara » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:50 am

I'm assuming that because you threw Philly into the mix of markets, and a quick look at your post history, we're talking about Camden...

Personally I like RU-C...I wish I applied there last year--they seem to throw good money at good applicants--but, Philly is an insular market. Employers seem to be looking for people who want to stay in the area long term. And employers always favor the "Philly kids"

That said, I know of plenty young attorneys who came into the area and networked their ass off and made a name for themselves. You'd really have to get off campus and network.

In no way would your decision to attend Camden be financially irresponsible, but it has to fit in with your life goals.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:39 am

Isn't Camden the one that offered full rides to people who didn't even apply?

Lulz

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”