Where should i go? Please help Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should i go? (best school)

Poll ended at Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 am

Alabama
No votes
BC
25%
Wisconsin
No votes
Minnesota
No votes
UNC
75%
Wake
No votes
William & Mary
No votes
Georgia
No votes

Total votes: 4

Ngoblue2014

Bronze

Where should i go? Please help

Post by Ngoblue2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:17 pm

Poll
Last edited by Ngoblue2014 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Where should i go? Please help

Post by deadpanic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:19 pm

List the cost of attendance of each school and your ties.

You have a bunch of random law schools. If you want to get into politics, law school isn't necessarily the route to go anymore. And it definitely isn't the way to go if you decide to go to a random law school in a region you're not from. It seems like you blanketed them based on their US News ranking which is not a very effective method.

Ngoblue2014

Bronze

Post by Ngoblue2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:23 pm

I agree with your statement regarding law school not necessarily being the best avenue into politics, however due to my family situation (my father owns a commercial real estate management and development company) they insist i have a law degree as opposed to an MBA (which i don't particularly understand either, trust me, but i am also interested in law.) My parents are footing the bill for law school without loans, so the COA isn't necessarily a prime determining factor. You're right i did blanket the country based on US News rankings, i am more or less asking what school has the best reputation, prestige, how they are thought of etc.

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Ngoblue2014 wrote:I agree with your statement regarding law school not necessarily being the best avenue into politics, however due to my family situation (my father owns a commercial real estate management and development company) they insist i have a law degree as opposed to an MBA (which i don't particularly understand either, trust me, but i am also interested in law.) My parents are footing the bill for law school without loans, so the COA isn't necessarily a prime determining factor. You're right i did blanket the country based on US News rankings, i am more or less asking what school has the best reputation, prestige, how they are thought of etc.
Best reputation and prestige between the schools you listed will likely differ based on where in the country you ask. None of those are the schools that have the universal recognition/reputation/prestige that the T-14 schools have, thats why deadpanic also likely referred to regions because these schools have good regional reputation but not necessarily country-wide.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 pm

UNC. Or USC if they give you some money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:31 pm

The only prestigious schools you have on there are Michigan & Northwestern. All the others are basically just strong regionals for their markets so that should be a non-issue.

The is no difference between a Minnesota and a Georgia. They have no national reputation outside of their regions. UGA is best if you want to be in GA, UMN if you want MN. And you damn sure better be from those states or have another very compelling reason to attend there.

You didn't address your ties but if you are going into politics, I would say attend a prestigious school (if nothing more than for a shot at a good job) or the state flagship. So, if you are from Mich, go to UM if you get in. If not, retake. Don't just go to Alabama because it's ranked wherever in the 20s. No one cares or knows that Alabama is ranked there.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:32 pm

Why can't you go work on the Hill for two years, retake the LSAT, and then go to an actually prestigious law school? None of the schools you listed carry any sort of prestige that will resonate with lay people. I guess I just don't understand why you think you need a law degree before going into politics. What are your actual career goals?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Speaker O'Neill: All politics is local.

IMO, if you can't go national (T14), go local for politics.

Ngoblue2014

Bronze

Post by Ngoblue2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:39 pm

poll
Last edited by Ngoblue2014 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anna8506

Bronze

Post by anna8506 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:42 pm

It seems like money is not a big concern to you, so I would go to the best ranking/reputation school that you can get into.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:43 pm

I suggest retaking in June to potentially try to get off a waitlist at Michigan or Northwestern.

ETA: this gives you the option to attend any school listed above, possibly get in off a waitlist, or wait a cycle if your score improves significantly and you don't get into any better schools.

Ngoblue2014

Bronze

Post by Ngoblue2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:46 pm

I mean I have no intention of wasting money, and obviously the better the financial deal the more attractive schools or similar rank would be, but the quality of education is the top priority, not finances. I missed 7 questions on the logic portion of my LSAT but went on a 34/36 run at one point in sections 3 and 4, so a retake seems logical and illogical at the same time if that makes sense

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 pm

Ngoblue2014 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. My dad is already 65, he wants to retire in the next 5-7 years, making his business mine (only child) so i need to be done with law school, and if i want the experience of working in a law firm i have very little time to do so as it is. My career goals are to preserve and progress the company my grandfather (an Auschwitz survivor) started in 1952, as the only male grandchild i can't in good conscious let it be sold or liquidated. I want to go to law school, work for a couple years somewhere outside of michigan, then come home and run the company (or i guess i should say learn from my father) and run for public office.
Yeah, law school won't help you run his business at all actually. You will learn virtually nothing beneficial related to a real estate company in law school. You're wasting 3 years quite honestly. Don't listen to boomers who think law school prepares you with some great general skill set--most don't even prepare you to practice law and they certainly don't teach you any skills relating to business.

If you must go, I would say it is Michigan or bust. I guess maybe go to Michigan State or Wayne State on a full ride if your dad is dead set to make you spend the next 3 years in law school. Education is the same at basically any law school so don't read into any school trying to sell you on some marketing technique.

But you would be better off working at your Dad's company and learning what he does rather than law school. That is how you'll learn to run the company and make it more profitable. You won't learn any of this in law school or practicing law. After practicing law, you will have no better grasp than you do now at running a real estate company. Not to bum you out, but just being candid.
Last edited by deadpanic on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 pm

Ngoblue2014 wrote:Thanks for all the responses. My dad is already 65, he wants to retire in the next 5-7 years, making his business mine (only child) so i need to be done with law school, and if i want the experience of working in a law firm i have very little time to do so as it is. My career goals are to preserve and progress the company my grandfather (an Auschwitz survivor) started in 1952, as the only male grandchild i can't in good conscious let it be sold or liquidated. I want to go to law school, work for a couple years somewhere outside of michigan, then come home and run the company (or i guess i should say learn from my father) and run for public office.
It really does sound like an MBA is more up your alley. Going to law school because your family insists on it isn't a good reason to attend. It's great that you have an interest in law and want to run for public office, but three years in law school entails significant opportunity cost for a degree that it doesn't sound like you particularly want or need.

If you do want to work in a firm, what kind of firm do you have in mind? Any specific location?

BanjoCalhoun

New

Post by BanjoCalhoun » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:49 pm

You don't necessarily need a law degree to go into politics although the fact that your parents will pay for it makes it more understandable. Nevertheless, you should apply in another cycle rather than going directly in now. There are plenty of political jobs you can take for a couple years to cultivate a stronger resume, buy you time to retake the LSAT, and build more connections. It sounds like you already have the requisite connections to get a good job since your LORs sound disproportionately strong. This isn't something that needs to be rushed, unless there's another factor you haven't listed in your original post. You may find that after working as a staffer or for a party you can get already get the jobs you have in mind without a degree, or if you still decide to get a JD you could be better placed for offers. If you can't break into the T14 then go to a school in the state where you hope to work/be elected.

Ngoblue2014

Bronze

Post by Ngoblue2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:51 pm

poll
Last edited by Ngoblue2014 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

raininthedesert

Bronze

Post by raininthedesert » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 pm

No brainer. You should definitely attend W&L: robust geographic location and you will easily be at the top of your class now that all the admits are withdrawing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ngoblue2014

Bronze

Post by Ngoblue2014 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:54 pm

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:04 am

Ngoblue2014 wrote:Trust me guys I understand what you're saying and have said the same thing. But law school is what's going to happen for me, and I apologize if I came across begrudging about it, because in reality I am excited, and do have a legitimate interest. My path is simply much different than the norm as employment stats, where I will get a job etc isn't as important to me. I'm looking for a great experience where I will learn a lot, have some fun, and have the option to practice if I choose to. Currently I am most interested in civil litigation, as well as election law, having seen first hand the prevalence of voter fraud in this country.
Lot of variables here. If you really want to keep open the option of joining a firm and practicing law, it'll change the advice you get on here. Where do you have ties? You're from Michigan? You mentioned wanting to work outside Michigan; anywhere in particular? Are you dead-set on gunning for prestige?

These questions matter -- you could go to a school with more name recognition that could plausibly be helpful in your political career, but that provides worse outcomes for actually practicing law than a smaller school only known regionally. And location really does matter; the regionals you listed don't have much portability; if you decide to practice law for a few years before heading home you might find yourself tied to a market you don't like.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:05 am

Ngoblue2014 wrote:Currently I am most interested in civil litigation, as well as election law, having seen first hand the prevalence of voter fraud in this country.
If by "prevalence" you really mean "non-existence" then yeah there is a prevalence of voter fraud in this country

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:22 am

Ngoblue2014 wrote:I'm going to assume that's sarcasm
It makes no sense for you to go to law school, but if you're going to go, go to the law school where you want to run for office someday so you can make connections. I assume that's Michigan so I'd retake in June so you can get off the waitlist or go to Michigan State or Wayne State. Anything else is really stupid

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:25 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Ngoblue2014 wrote:Currently I am most interested in civil litigation, as well as election law, having seen first hand the prevalence of voter fraud in this country.
If by "prevalence" you really mean "non-existence" then yeah there is a prevalence of voter fraud in this country
+1

KD35

Silver

Post by KD35 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:03 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Yea I heard that election law is a really big burgeoning field of law in upcoming years. You might as well go to a TTT because anyone can get into that field. . . :roll:

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:16 am

you sent in SEVEN LoRS??

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:20 am

Ngoblue2014 wrote:as the only male grandchild i can't in good conscious let it be sold or liquidated.
Just stop being sexist and get one of your female cousins to be the interim head honcho. Then you can have some time to retake.

Half kidding about the last thing, but i'm serious about this. Your father now operates the company, he wants it to remain a family company(?), and you are his only child. It seems like he needs you, so can't you convince him to fund an MBA instead? You could also show him wikis of all the local/state/fed politicians with MBAs or other business backgrounds.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”