big law from IUB?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
flinton5180

New

big law from IUB??

Post by flinton5180 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:34 pm

I have to decide between a close to full ride at IU-Maurer and sticker at Northwestern. My career goals are big law in a Chicago firm. So is it possible to go biglaw out of IUB or do I have to suck it up and pay for Northwestern? FYI: Asked for more at Northwestern and didn't get anything.

yossarian

Silver

Re: big law from IUB??

Post by yossarian » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:38 pm

On LST, IUB's 500+ firm placement is ~3%... so like 4 people. Biglaw overall (100+) is close to 8%. Those are pretty steep odds. Also, my guess is the 100-400 attorney people (~6%) are mostly Indy/Louisville, meaning You literally have to be in the top 5 students to get BigLaw Chicago....

Obv. self-selection interview skills etc.. so screeners may go a little deeper than that. But not much.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:44 pm

Don't go to Indiana for biglaw

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 pm

yossarian71 wrote:On LST, IUB's 500+ firm placement is ~3%... so like 4 people. Biglaw overall (100+) is close to 8%. Those are pretty steep odds. Also, my guess is the 100-400 attorney people (~6%) are mostly Indy/Louisville, meaning You literally have to be in the top 5 students to get BigLaw Chicago....

Obv. self-selection interview skills etc.. so screeners may go a little deeper than that. But not much.
could be staff attorneys, too

no way of knowing if those are legit associate positions -- a lot of the lower ranked schools produce staff attorneys at big firms, too

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:57 pm

Yeah, IUB is not going to get you Chicago big law. For Chicago big law it goes UChi/NU plus HYS>>rest of t14>>ND/UIUC>WUSTL>>>>Loyola/Kent and everything else is really small. I personally wouldn't pay sticker at NU, but compared to IUB if Chicago is what you want it is a no brainer

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flinton5180

New

Post by flinton5180 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Yea, everyone pretty much echoed my own thoughts. I just wanted to make sure before I make the $200k+ plunge.

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:13 pm

Last edited by eastcoast_iub on Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estreetshuffler

New

Post by Estreetshuffler » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:15 pm

flinton5180 wrote:I have to decide between a close to full ride at IU-Maurer and sticker at Northwestern. My career goals are big law in a Chicago firm. So is it possible to go biglaw out of IUB or do I have to suck it up and pay for Northwestern? FYI: Asked for more at Northwestern and didn't get anything.
I had a friend who went to IU and another who went to U Chicago. They both ended up working at the same big law firm in Chicago. I know this isn't the norm and I wouldn't disregard what other people here have posted, but I just wanted to point out that it's not impossible.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Estreetshuffler wrote:I had a friend who went to IU and another who went to U Chicago. They both ended up working at the same big law firm in Chicago. I know this isn't the norm and I wouldn't disregard what other people here have posted, but I just wanted to point out that it's not impossible.
Agreed. There are a handful of people from my IU class at big firms in Chicago. But it will be much easier coming from Northwestern. The transfers to Northwestern from my class mostly ended up at the same firms as top students who stayed at IU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Re - take. Big law from Bloomington looks like a pie in the sky dream. And if you lose the OCI game from northwestern re paying sticker looks impossible. Even if you do end up on the right side of the numbers i can still only imagine what a pain it would be. Northwestern is so expensive and in an expensive area to boot

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:12 pm

I'd go with Northwestern. It's not really 200k if you plan to drop out if below median given your goals. You really only lose 150k picking Northwestern if you're top 10% as you'd likely be at least that at IUB, and would have had a full ride. Debt can be a good thing. I'm not sure I'd have worked as hard if I had a full ride, and didn't need a job to avoid poverty.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:16 pm

PepperJack wrote:I'd go with Northwestern. It's not really 200k if you plan to drop out if below median given your goals. You really only lose 150k picking Northwestern if you're top 10% as you'd likely be at least that at IUB, and would have had a full ride. Debt can be a good thing. I'm not sure I'd have worked as hard if I had a full ride, and didn't need a job to avoid poverty.
People say this.. but does anyone actually do it? I feel like once you're in law school you'll end up feeling pot-committed and there's a certain stigma that comes with telling your friends/family that you dropped out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:17 pm

john7234797 wrote:
PepperJack wrote:I'd go with Northwestern. It's not really 200k if you plan to drop out if below median given your goals. You really only lose 150k picking Northwestern if you're top 10% as you'd likely be at least that at IUB, and would have had a full ride. Debt can be a good thing. I'm not sure I'd have worked as hard if I had a full ride, and didn't need a job to avoid poverty.
People say this.. but does anyone actually do it? I feel like once you're in law school you'll end up feeling pot-committed and there's a certain stigma that comes with telling your friends/family that you dropped out.
Its really really hard to do.

something something sunk cost fallacy

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Post by eastcoast_iub » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:50 am

TFALAWL

Bronze

Post by TFALAWL » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:36 pm

Estreetshuffler wrote:
flinton5180 wrote:I have to decide between a close to full ride at IU-Maurer and sticker at Northwestern. My career goals are big law in a Chicago firm. So is it possible to go biglaw out of IUB or do I have to suck it up and pay for Northwestern? FYI: Asked for more at Northwestern and didn't get anything.
I had a friend who went to IU and another who went to U Chicago. They both ended up working at the same big law firm in Chicago. I know this isn't the norm and I wouldn't disregard what other people here have posted, but I just wanted to point out that it's not impossible.
I see what you're saying man. But just so that logic doesn't resonate with OP, I know someone from UVA who is a SCOTUS clerk and someone from Yale who is a SCOTUS clerk. That doesn't change the fact it would be silly to choose UVA over Yale.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”