Overheard at ASW Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
prodigal.daughter

New

Re: Overheard at ASW

Post by prodigal.daughter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:15 pm

An admitted student on a tour: "So, are the on-campus graduate apartments pretty cold in the winter?"

Bewildered 3L had to explain that central heating is a thing. I was actually impressed by how composed she remained.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:16 pm

kfree wrote:Attended the Emory ASW last weekend and had a few good stories:

"I am still deciding between FSU, Emory, Vanderbilt and Yale.. I haven't heard back from Vanderbilt or Yale yet even though I applied in October. I think that's a good sign!"

I also heard way too many people say that they were interested in practicing Constitutional Law

Not necessarily overheard, but I saw one girl carrying a 1L Prep Book and another carrying a book entitled "How to Get Into Harvard Law School" .....
more like these plz

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:28 pm

prodigal.daughter wrote:An admitted student on a tour: "So, are the on-campus graduate apartments pretty cold in the winter?"

Bewildered 3L had to explain that central heating is a thing. I was actually impressed by how composed she remained.
That's not that weird of a question. My apartment in MN does not have central heating or AC because the building is 100 years old, and sometimes it gets damn cold in my unit.

prodigal.daughter

New

Post by prodigal.daughter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Tanicius wrote:That's not that weird of a question. My apartment in MN does not have central heating or AC because the building is 100 years old, and sometimes it gets damn cold in my unit.
The building she was asking about was built (or remodeled? forgive my memory!) within the last 5-15 years. But it's one thing if she'd asked if the apartments had central heating (or, you know, a radiator, or a fireplace, any other form of heating)....

She didn't ask that, though. She didn't know that you could heat a building. As in, she assumed the insulation in the walls was the only thing keeping the building warmer than outside. Like I said, the 3L had to actually explain the concept of central heating to her (while she stood there looking amazed and impressed the whole time).

science burner

New

Post by science burner » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:19 pm

prodigal.daughter wrote: She didn't know that you could heat a building. As in, she assumed the insulation in the walls was the only thing keeping the building warmer than outside. Like I said, the 3L had to actually explain the concept of central heating to her (while she stood there looking amazed and impressed the whole time).
What a time to be alive

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:32 pm

science burner wrote:
prodigal.daughter wrote: She didn't know that you could heat a building. As in, she assumed the insulation in the walls was the only thing keeping the building warmer than outside. Like I said, the 3L had to actually explain the concept of central heating to her (while she stood there looking amazed and impressed the whole time).
What a time to be alive
180 poster + post combo

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:34 pm

prodigal.daughter wrote:
Tanicius wrote:That's not that weird of a question. My apartment in MN does not have central heating or AC because the building is 100 years old, and sometimes it gets damn cold in my unit.
The building she was asking about was built (or remodeled? forgive my memory!) within the last 5-15 years. But it's one thing if she'd asked if the apartments had central heating (or, you know, a radiator, or a fireplace, any other form of heating)....

She didn't ask that, though. She didn't know that you could heat a building. As in, she assumed the insulation in the walls was the only thing keeping the building warmer than outside. Like I said, the 3L had to actually explain the concept of central heating to her (while she stood there looking amazed and impressed the whole time).
Maybe she was from SoCal and had never been anywhere cold before.

nyyankskid

New

Post by nyyankskid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:42 pm

From a guy who literally couldn't have been older than 20, at the Friday night mixer at W&M two weekends ago:

"I'm holding between here, University of South Florida, Wake Forest, and Harvard. I really like my chances at Harvard. I know they like me up there."

:| :| :|

BrazilBandit

Bronze

Post by BrazilBandit » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:46 pm

nyyankskid wrote:From a guy who literally couldn't have been older than 20, at the Friday night mixer at W&M two weekends ago:

"I'm holding between here, University of South Florida, Wake Forest, and Harvard. I really like my chances at Harvard. I know they like me up there."

That doesn't exist - maybe San Fran?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prodigal.daughter

New

Post by prodigal.daughter » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:52 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Maybe she was from SoCal and had never been anywhere cold before.
Florida, actually, but your point still stands. And as someone who has lived in Florida for years, I can attest to the fact that pretty much everyone understands that if you can cool a building, you can also heat a building.

nyyankskid

New

Post by nyyankskid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:59 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:
nyyankskid wrote:From a guy who literally couldn't have been older than 20, at the Friday night mixer at W&M two weekends ago:

That doesn't exist - maybe San Fran?
That's what I remember....he might've meant University of Florida. That's where he said he was from.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:01 pm

Best I have is a parent asking the UIUC interim dean what he thought about the rankings free fall.

nyyankskid

New

Post by nyyankskid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:07 pm

KMart wrote:Best I have is a parent asking the UIUC interim dean what he thought about the rankings free fall.
It doesn't really bother me that much when parents ask questions, especially when it's super obvious that they're the ones who will be footing the bill. What annoyed me at the ASW I went to were the parents that asked a TON of questions, and their kid didn't ask one.

But then I guess not everyone spends all his time at work on TLS, so there's that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:09 pm

I don't mind who asked the question, I just found it funny he asked the dean about the fall from the low 20s to the low 40s haha.

Same parent also volunteered in the mock class, which I did find weird.

nyyankskid

New

Post by nyyankskid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:10 pm

KMart wrote:I don't mind who asked the question, I just found it funny he asked the dean about the fall from the low 20s to the low 40s haha.

What did the dean say?

pancakes

New

Post by pancakes » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:13 pm

KMart wrote:Best I have is a parent asking the UIUC interim dean what he thought about the rankings free fall.
A parent asked Penn State about their 20 drop fall and I've never seen someone side step a question so fast.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:22 pm

KMart wrote:I don't mind who asked the question, I just found it funny he asked the dean about the fall from the low 20s to the low 40s haha.

This is super fucking weird, like on some sociopathic level shit-am I the only one who thinks this

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:29 pm

nyyankskid wrote:What did the dean say?
Something along the lines of ~ "Rankings don't determine job outcomes and don't mean much; rankings that look at things other than reputation score have us in our old spot.
Last edited by KMart on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:29 pm

mt2165 wrote:

This is super fucking weird, like on some sociopathic level shit-am I the only one who thinks this
I wouldn't ask it, but I wouldn't call it "super fucking weird" either.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:44 pm

KMart wrote:
mt2165 wrote:

I was more referring to a parent raising their hand in the mock class

nyyankskid

New

Post by nyyankskid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:49 pm

mt2165 wrote:
KMart wrote:
mt2165 wrote:

I was more referring to a parent raising their hand in the mock class
That makes literally no sense. What's the thought process there?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:51 pm

nyyankskid wrote:That makes literally no sense. What's the thought process there?
Are you seriously trying to tell us that it makes no sense to you to think that parents who participate in a mock class at the professional school their adult child is considering attending should STFU?

nosocat

Bronze

Post by nosocat » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:02 pm

I took it the other way: What was the parent's thought process to volunteer in this scenario? But I guess the comment could go either way. In any case, I'm sure the student was mortified. Should have punched mom/dad on the spot to exert independence.

nyyankskid

New

Post by nyyankskid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:05 pm

Hand wrote:
nyyankskid wrote:That makes literally no sense. What's the thought process there?
Are you seriously trying to tell us that it makes no sense to you to think that parents who participate in a mock class at the professional school their adult child is considering attending should STFU?
Should've been clearer...I meant what nosocat said. I don't understand why a parent would answer a question.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:09 pm

I didn't bring my parents, but if I did I would absolutely tell them to STFU and not speak.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”