UIUC ($$$) vs. IU ($$$) vs. ND ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GurglingEmu

New

UIUC ($$$) vs. IU ($$$) vs. ND ($)

Post by GurglingEmu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm from Chicago and would like to practice here, but I have no local significant ties. I would prefer to go into Big law. In the event that I do not get into my waitlists, what would you guys suggest?

Schools that I'm considering:
University of Illinois (UIUC): Full tuition
University of Indiana (Maurer): Full tuition
Notre Dame: $90,000

I'm also waitlisted at Northwestern and University of Michigan.

My LSAT is 165 and my GPA is 3.85.

brotherdarkness

Gold

Re: UIUC ($$$) vs. IU ($$$) vs. ND ($)

Post by brotherdarkness » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:57 pm

GurglingEmu wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm from Chicago and would like to practice here, but I have no local significant ties. I would prefer to go into Big law. In the event that I do not get into my waitlists, what would you guys suggest?

NU >>>>> Mich >> ND > UIUC > IU for Chicago biglaw. Debt aversion and willingness to take a non big law job will have to be the deciding factors for you.

I would probably take UIUC here especially if you could negotiate up to a stipend (seems unlikely). ND is okay at that price, but most people would probably tell you you need more money.

BUT retake

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:20 pm

yossarian71 wrote:

NU >>>>> Mich >> ND > UIUC > IU for Chicago biglaw. Debt aversion and willingness to take a non big law job will have to be the deciding factors for you.

I would probably take UIUC here especially if you could negotiate up to a stipend (seems unlikely). ND is okay at that price, but most people would probably tell you you need more money.

BUT retake
I'm a 1L at UIUC, but even I say retake for Northwestern or Chicago. I say you need more money from ND. UIUC and ND both give you a 1 in 4 chance of big law in Chicago. Indiana gives you less than 10% so they're out. If you are big law or bust retake and get money from Northwestern, Michigan, or UChi. If you are cool with Chicago any law and debt averse then UIUC is fine

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:28 pm

thebobs1987 wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

BUT retake
I'm a 1L at UIUC, but even I say retake for Northwestern or Chicago. I say you need more money from ND. UIUC and ND both give you a 1 in 4 chance of big law in Chicago. Indiana gives you less than 10% so they're out. If you are big law or bust retake and get money from Northwestern, Michigan, or UChi. If you are cool with Chicago any law and debt averse then UIUC is fine
Forgive me if this is at all disrespectful or in any way a derail, but what makes you say this? Is it based off regret, differing goals, or some combination thereof? The reason I ask is because it's too early for you to be truly jaded by the job search, so having this opinion must come from somewhere. Are you really just wishing you'd retaken for uchicago, NU, or umich?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GurglingEmu

New

Post by GurglingEmu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:31 pm

thebobs1987 wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

BUT retake
Sorry, I should have phrased my original post better. I'm not adamant about big law - I would just prefer it. I think that I'd still be happy to end up somewhere in corporate or IP.
Last edited by GurglingEmu on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:32 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with a full ride to UIUC. So far that is your best bet. Regis Philbin went to Notre Dame.... YUCK! (granted it was the undergrad, but still)

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:33 pm

retake

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:36 pm

GurglingEmu wrote:
thebobs1987 wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

BUT retake
Sorry, I should have phrased my original post better. I'm not adamant about big law - I would just prefer it. I think that I'd still be happy to end up somewhere in corporate or IP.
Not trying to be a huge downer, but the chances of doing "IP or corporate" outside of big law is hugely problematic. I'm basing this off data, but from what I've seen, you can't really get corporate or IP work without either relevant work experience in the field (like a phd or masters) or big law experience related to it. Not saying you can't get it, but the data doesn't support you having much chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GurglingEmu

New

Post by GurglingEmu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 pm

matthewsean85 wrote: Not trying to be a huge downer, but the chances of doing "IP or corporate" outside of big law is hugely problematic. I'm basing this off data, but from what I've seen, you can't really get corporate or IP work without either relevant work experience in the field (like a phd or masters) or big law experience related to it. Not saying you can't get it, but the data doesn't support you having much chance.
Thanks, I didn't realize that.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:38 pm

GurglingEmu wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote: Not trying to be a huge downer, but the chances of doing "IP or corporate" outside of big law is hugely problematic. I'm basing this off data, but from what I've seen, you can't really get corporate or IP work without either relevant work experience in the field (like a phd or masters) or big law experience related to it. Not saying you can't get it, but the data doesn't support you having much chance.

My reply post didn't go through.

OP, if you're in IP then you'll be fine at UIUC even for big law. Are you an engineer or have a Phd in a hard science?

GurglingEmu

New

Post by GurglingEmu » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 pm

thebobs1987 wrote:
GurglingEmu wrote:

OP, if you're in IP then you'll be fine at UIUC even for big law. Are you an engineer or have a Phd in a hard science?
I'm not either of those things. I don't have any real background in the hard sciences. If it counts for anything, I do have a couple years of part-time job experience in IT - but it was entry level work.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:44 pm

thebobs1987 wrote:
GurglingEmu wrote:

I agree that relevant engineering experience or a higher level degree can help, and combined with a full ride is downright tempting, but what are you basing this off of? I'm not trying to discount what you're saying, but just want to make clear that a phd in EE is different than a BS in CE or biology. Some may be "IP secure" while others may delude themselves with these notions of having a guaranteed job at graduation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:44 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
thebobs1987 wrote:
yossarian71 wrote:

BUT retake
Forgive me if this is at all disrespectful or in any way a derail, but what makes you say this? Is it based off regret, differing goals, or some combination thereof? The reason I ask is because it's too early for you to be truly jaded by the job search, so having this opinion must come from somewhere. Are you really just wishing you'd retaken for uchicago, NU, or umich?
And I posted a reply before this, but it didn't go through.

The question is a little disrespectful, but that is ok. I love it at UIUC and am actually doing really well and I am sure I will be fine at OCI if big law is what I want. But it is all about personal choices. For me I wanted to keep debt low and didn't care about big law and just wanted to be in Illinois. OP said he wanted big law. And while ND and UIUC give you a decent chance at it, not nearly as good NU, UMichi or UChi. If you are ok with any law in Chicago or Illinois then UIUC at a full ride is a great deal and same with ND if they were more generous with scholarships. But if someone were to be big law or bust, then I would tell them go for those three or HYS.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:48 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
thebobs1987 wrote:
GurglingEmu wrote:

I agree that relevant engineering experience or a higher level degree can help, and combined with a full ride is downright tempting, but what are you basing this off of? I'm not trying to discount what you're saying, but just want to make clear that a phd in EE is different than a BS in CE or biology. Some may be "IP secure" while others may delude themselves with these notions of having a guaranteed job at graduation.
First, OP then you don't count for IP.

Second, I am basing it off all the people I know that are in law school or law firms. Most firms will take bachelors of engineering, but not other bachelors in sciences. But they'll all take Phds in hard sciences.

AMilfordMan

Bronze

Post by AMilfordMan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:07 pm

Another UIUC 1L here. I more or less agree with thebobs. I'm very happy to be at Illinois, but it is clear that Northwestern and UChicago offer a much better shot at biglaw. OP, while you might not think that you are biglaw or bust, given the discussion I've read so far, you sound like your goals can be most easily realized via the biglaw route, and that route is statistically more likely at a t14. Plain and simple.

With a 3.8x, retaking the June test, getting 4-5 more points, and applying early would put you in an excellent position for NU with $$ and probably UChicago with some $.

Otherwise, if you are dead set on attending this fall, then UIUC is the clear winner to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”