NU vs CORNELL vs UCLA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NU, Cornell, or UCLA? First set = PI/govt, Second set = BIG LAW

Northwestern
13%
Cornell
11%
UCLA
23%
Northwestern
18%
Cornell
14%
UCLA
21%

Total votes: 56

cham

New

NU vs CORNELL vs UCLA

Post by cham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:22 am

I was wondering if you guys could help me choose between NU, Cornell, and UCLA. Also if you guys could give two answers - one for public interest law/government and the other for big law. Such as which school would be good for PI/gov and what school would be good for big law.

I have ties to SoCal, and ultimately want to practice back in CA (NorCal or SoCal).

EDIT:

COA: 90-100k in debt UCLA (commute). CORNELL/NU about 150k in debt. All after graduation.
Will be all on loans
Last edited by cham on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thebobs1987

Bronze

Re: NU vs CORNELL vs UCLA

Post by thebobs1987 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:24 am

cham wrote:I was wondering if you guys could help me choose between NU, Cornell, and UCLA. Also if you guys could give two answers - one for public interest law/government and the other for big law. Such as which school would be good for PI/gov and what school would be good for big law.

I have ties to SoCal, and ultimately want to practice back in CA (NorCal or SoCal).
In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:35 am

cham wrote:I was wondering if you guys could help me choose between NU, Cornell, and UCLA. Also if you guys could give two answers - one for public interest law/government and the other for big law. Such as which school would be good for PI/gov and what school would be good for big law.

EDIT:

COA: Sticker for all (UCLA commute from OC)
Will be all on loans
Ok you're getting somewhere, now edit it again and answer all the questions...

cham

New

Post by cham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:41 am

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

No need. I've done all the negotiating, etc. So these are my final decisions. I won't be retaking the LSAT at all. That crosses out the last two questions. The other questions are already answered - considering (NU CORNELL UCLA), significant ties (CA), general career goals (not sure yet - PI/gov/BigLaw).

Just need general feedback no need for specifics.

EDIT: Also does anybody know why everyone talks about T14? Why not T15 to make it even or T20? This was just something minor that's been bugging me.

EDIT #2: Sorry please ignore my question about T14/T15. I just read a post about it - answered all my questions.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:41 am

:roll: You finished all the negotiating by the first week of March?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:00 am

lawschooltransparency can answer your questions more comprehensively than any poster.

cham

New

Post by cham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks!!

And yes unfortunately.. They were quick about it, and their decisions seemed final. A bit sad, but what can ya do.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:15 pm

You can retake.

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:37 pm

cham wrote: EDIT: Also does anybody know why everyone talks about T14? Why not T15 to make it even or T20? This was just something minor that's been bugging me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_school ... s_Rankings

The short answer is that the T14 have always been the T14, whereas the #15-#20 spots are regularly contested. They're in a class of their own in terms of national reputation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cham

New

Post by cham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks!! I get why it's T14 now. And sorry but no retake.

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm

I voted for UCLA (twice on your poll!) But get some $$$ outta them.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:53 pm

I wouldn't go to any of these schools at sticker. If you can get in to all of them, you are too close to going to a good school at a significant discount to just take these options now. I haven't read of any TLSer, who regrets waiting out a cycle.

Pablo

New

Post by Pablo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Woah, I'm retaking to get NU or Cornell. These schools are totally fine at sticker I thought. In terms of BigLaw jobs to pay off your loans, Cornell has one of the highest Big Law employment rates and Northwestern isn't too shabby either. I mean they aren't Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, but they are in the same league as every other T14. Or am I wrong?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:17 pm

Just curious how you think you're going to service your loans doing PI with 250k in the hole? And don't say loan forgiveness, please.

cham

New

Post by cham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks everyone! My main goal is to practice in CA however. Still worth Cornell or NU at sticker?

EDIT: Sorry no retake. And don't worry about that. I just need which school is preferred for both fields.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Pablo wrote:Woah, I'm retaking to get NU or Cornell. These schools are totally fine at sticker I thought. In terms of BigLaw jobs to pay off your loans, Cornell has one of the highest Big Law employment rates and Northwestern isn't too shabby either. I mean they aren't Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, but they are in the same league as every other T14. Or am I wrong?
They're great schools. I wouldn't go to any law school for 250k.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:30 pm

Pablo wrote:Woah, I'm retaking to get NU or Cornell. These schools are totally fine at sticker I thought. In terms of BigLaw jobs to pay off your loans, Cornell has one of the highest Big Law employment rates and Northwestern isn't too shabby either. I mean they aren't Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, but they are in the same league as every other T14. Or am I wrong?
The problem isn't getting biglaw. It's staying there without wanting to hang yourself. If you have a 3.0 GPA there isn't a lot you can do, but otherwise you should really try to limit your debt, and an improved LSAT score is generally the best way to do that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:33 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
The problem isn't getting biglaw. It's staying there without wanting to hang yourself. If you have a 3.0 GPA there isn't a lot you can do, but otherwise you should really try to limit your debt, and an improved LSAT score is generally the best way to do that.
Peeps don't appreciate the fact that you still have to pay off your debt, even after you've secured your big law job. Keeping your job means you run scared, work nights and weekends, and don't complain for 5 years. I don't think I could do it. If I were single and had no plans for family, I might go for it.
Last edited by whereskyle on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:34 pm

whereskyle wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Peeps don't appreciate the fact that you still have to pay off your debt, even after you've secured your big law job. Keeping your job means you run scared, work nights and weekends, and don't complain for 5 years. I don't think I could do it.
I'm about to find out if I can.

cham

New

Post by cham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Okay now I'm confused.. I'm beginning to think sticker means pay full-price? I thought it meant you got money from the schools? (Which is why you guys talking about 250k now makes sense).

No I got a good amount of money from UCLA and I'll commute so the debt will come out to be like 90-100k. NU and CORNELL, I would live there, but I got some money (not as much). Would be more like 150k in debt.

Main goal: practice in CA (PI/gov/biglaw).

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:40 pm

none of them at sticker.

Retake.
The short answer is that the T14 have always been the T14...
And they got that way from being in the Top 10. In other words, everyone of the current T14 was ranked in the USNews top 10 at one point or another. So even if UCLA or Vandy or Texas bumps into the 14th spot this year, it would not then become the T15, since UCLA/Vandy/Tx would have to jump all the way to 10, to make the new term, T15.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:47 pm

cham wrote:Okay now I'm confused.. I'm beginning to think sticker means pay full-price? I thought it meant you got money from the schools? (Which is why you guys talking about 250k now makes sense).

No I got a good amount of money from UCLA and I'll commute so the debt will come out to be like 90-100k. NU and CORNELL, I would live there, but I got some money (not as much). Would be more like 150k in debt.

Main goal: practice in CA (PI/gov/biglaw).
If you want L.A., then you should go to UCLA with your scholly. The location of a school is incredibly important for recruitment events, externships, and overall networking. If you want to increase your shot at prestigious PI (DOJ Honors et al.) you should consider NU, but the shot you'll have is unbelievably slim. You'll have to be Top 5% at least, and you'll have to snag a clerkship. If I were you and if I wanted to live and work in LA, then I'd go UCLA.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Peeps don't appreciate the fact that you still have to pay off your debt, even after you've secured your big law job. Keeping your job means you run scared, work nights and weekends, and don't complain for 5 years. I don't think I could do it.
I'm about to find out if I can.

GET EXCITED, TIAGO! Put the wind at your back and roll!

cham

New

Post by cham » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Not paying sticker!! I was confused on what it meant. New to TLS.

And thanks! So in other words NU will be too risky. Is there any shot of those for UCLA? I know a person who did that from UCLA, but that is one person..

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:54 pm

cham wrote:Not paying sticker!! I was confused on what it meant. New to TLS.

And thanks! So in other words NU will be too risky. Is there any shot of those for UCLA? I know a person who did that from UCLA, but that is one person..
That's a good way to think of it. From UCLA, it is one person, from NU it is two people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”