WUSTL vs ND vs AU for LLM Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL vs ND vs AU for LLM

WUSTL LLM in US Law
75%
ND LLM in International Human Rights
25%
AU LLM in International Legal Studies
No votes

Total votes: 4

llmcandidate

New

WUSTL vs ND vs AU for LLM

Post by llmcandidate » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:18 am

Although this forum is for JD applicants, I would highly appreciate your opinions regarding my choice between LL.M. programs in Washington University in St. Louis, University of Notre Dame and American University. I have been admitted to all three universities and these are my only options.

I am a foreign student working for the government of my home country (member state of the European Union) and I will receive a full scholarship for all university fees and COL. As I am working for the government, I am actually involved in international human rights law and I would like to take classes on this matter as well. At the same time, for the sake of future, I would definitely like to take the NY Bar (my home country laws allows to become of an attorney only after several years of practice in a law firm under supervision of a senior attorney). After graduation I will return to my home country and, most probably, continue my work at the government. In future, if at all possible, I would like to take a chance to work for an international organization (preferably, the UN) or (most likely) a mid-sized domestic law firm with around 50 attorneys and partner offices abroad.

I am looking for the best possible option to receive as good education as I can for my future goals. At the same time, I would like to have a good quality of life either in the city or by travelling opportunities, because I will be the US only for one year.

So, here are my options:
1) WUSTL - better ranking and prestige (which I am really looking for), a chance to sit for the bar (half of classes must be in US law), but a limited amount of human rights/international law courses. However, a location could be a problem as I would like to travel while in the US. I am also not entirely convinced about the quality of their international law courses.
2) Notre Dame - great program in human rights, but it is not possible to sit for the bar (all classes are in international law), isolated campus.
3) American - lower ranking, but excellent location, great human rights/international law courses and a chance to sit for the bar. However, I am not convinced about the quality of their facilities and level of reputation.

I would be very happy to receive a feedback. Thank you in advance!

P.S. A couple of questions regarding the WUSTL was already raised in its "Ask a Law Student / Graduate" topic. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=3700

thebobs1987

Bronze

Re: WUSTL vs ND vs AU for LLM

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:52 am

llmcandidate wrote:Although this forum is for JD applicants, I would highly appreciate your opinions regarding my choice between LL.M. programs in Washington University in St. Louis, University of Notre Dame and American University. I have been admitted to all three universities and these are my only options.

I am a foreign student working for the government of my home country (member state of the European Union) and I will receive a full scholarship for all university fees and COL. As I am working for the government, I am actually involved in international human rights law and I would like to take classes on this matter as well. At the same time, for the sake of future, I would definitely like to take the NY Bar (my home country laws allows to become of an attorney only after several years of practice in a law firm under supervision of a senior attorney). After graduation I will return to my home country and, most probably, continue my work at the government. In future, if at all possible, I would like to take a chance to work for an international organization (preferably, the UN) or (most likely) a mid-sized domestic law firm with around 50 attorneys and partner offices abroad.

I am looking for the best possible option to receive as good education as I can for my future goals. At the same time, I would like to have a good quality of life either in the city or by travelling opportunities, because I will be the US only for one year.

So, here are my options:
1) WUSTL - better ranking and prestige (which I am really looking for), a chance to sit for the bar (half of classes must be in US law), but a limited amount of human rights/international law courses. However, a location could be a problem as I would like to travel while in the US. I am also not entirely convinced about the quality of their international law courses.
2) Notre Dame - great program in human rights, but it is not possible to sit for the bar (all classes are in international law), isolated campus.
3) American - lower ranking, but excellent location, great human rights/international law courses and a chance to sit for the bar. However, I am not convinced about the quality of their facilities and level of reputation.

I would be very happy to receive a feedback. Thank you in advance!

P.S. A couple of questions regarding the WUSTL was already raised in its "Ask a Law Student / Graduate" topic. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=3700
If you want to work and stay in your home country, just ask lawyers in your home country, which they prefer and if it is getting paid for, just decide if you would rather be in DC or St. Louis. Probably wouldn't do ND if you really want to take the bar.

If you want to work in the U.S., I would probably recommend WUSTL, but I honestly have no idea what career services and opportunities are like for LLMs.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: WUSTL vs ND vs AU for LLM

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:07 pm

AU has horrible employment numbers, but I have no idea how that would effect you, considering that you're already a relatively experienced attorney. If you want to do human rights stuff, DC > St. Louis.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”