GULC debt free? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: GULC debt free?

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:23 am

If you show continued interest in a sincere, concise & prompt manner, you should get an acceptance or two. Getting waitlisted at Chicago suggests that there probably is not any problem with your application, in my opinion. Law school waitlists are not "polite rejections" as some experience in college admissions.

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:25 am

If it helps I also interviewed with Chicago, so I'm pretty sure they must have thought I was a decent candidate.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:27 am

If there is a problem, it might be something written in a recommendation. If you reapply next cycle, consider getting different folks to write recommendations.

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:30 am

CanadianWolf wrote:If there is a problem, it might be something written in a recommendation. If you reapply next cycle, consider getting different folks to write recommendations.
Yeah I guess that could be it. Honestly I doubt I'll reapply next cycle. I think I'm just going to do what you said and try to write a really sincere LOCI and hope for the best.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:55 am

yossarian71 wrote: Source? I was worried next cycle would be harder because of lurkers seeing the decline in applicants as their time to apply + the first "good news" for law hiring since recession.
ABA Journal wrote: However, new applications are projected to be down another 10 to 15 percent in the coming year, he says, "so we're definitely not at the bottom of the cycle yet.
http://www.abajournal.com/mobile/articl ... data_shows

I mean no one knows for sure, but I haven't seen much indicating there will be a jump in applicants soon.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:04 am

jk148706 wrote:
yossarian71 wrote: Source? I was worried next cycle would be harder because of lurkers seeing the decline in applicants as their time to apply + the first "good news" for law hiring since recession.
ABA Journal wrote: However, new applications are projected to be down another 10 to 15 percent in the coming year, he says, "so we're definitely not at the bottom of the cycle yet.
http://www.abajournal.com/mobile/articl ... data_shows

I mean no one knows for sure, but I haven't seen much indicating there will be a jump in applicants soon.
Thanks! obviously speculation on our part and at best educated extrapolation on behalf of the powers-that-be

I feel like I'm outpeforming my numbers this cycle 167, 3.0 and am worried about retaking. even a 173 doesn't increase my chances for admission/money that much at most t14s. and IF apps do go back up next year, schools may not be as generous.

Thanks for the article.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:08 am

As long as the number of LSAT takers keeps going down apps will keep going down. The number of LSAT takers is still going down.

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:As long as the number of LSAT takers keeps going down apps will keep going down. The number of LSAT takers is still going down.
Makes sense. Appreciate the insight.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:49 am

hichvichwoh wrote:I would ride the waitlist out and put a serious effort into LOCI's, but I wouldn't wait another cycle since your LSAT is fine, you can't do anything about your GPA, and a year of work experience won't make a huge impact on your resume unless you score something really awesome
Bad advice. Waiting a year and not retaking the LSAT enabled me to apply more broadly and get a T14 full-ride. Even if OP is not looking for scholly $$, OP can apply broadly and land a T14 with better biglaw placement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:02 am

whereskyle wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:I would ride the waitlist out and put a serious effort into LOCI's, but I wouldn't wait another cycle since your LSAT is fine, you can't do anything about your GPA, and a year of work experience won't make a huge impact on your resume unless you score something really awesome
Bad advice. Waiting a year and not retaking the LSAT enabled me to apply more broadly and get a T14 full-ride. Even if OP is not looking for scholly $$, OP can apply broadly and land a T14 with better biglaw placement.
Eh, OP has no shot at HYS or Berkeley so the only school he should've applied to that he didn't is NU. It doesn't seem like the range of targets is the issue here.

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:04 am

Why shoot yourself in the foot for aid by admitting you can pay cash upfront? People have been known to be accepted off the waitlist WITH scholly. I guess most such people originally were WL'ed for YP, but I'm willing to bet that at the end of this cycle some schools are gonna want that 173 badly enough to throw a couple thousand dollars your way.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:33 am

One reason is to make OP's LOCI stand out from others' LOCIs.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:09 am

whereskyle wrote:
OP applied pretty broadly, no?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:26 am

I had slightly inferior stats (both GPA and LSAT) and got into several of those schools after sending LOCIs and doing my best to establish a rapport with admissions officials. Granted I didn't get off the WL until late in the cycle (May/June) but does that really matter for someone in your shoes? Also, this was at the near-peak of law school apps, so I'd imagine that my stats - already slightly worse than yours - looked even worse to admissions officers.

You'll get some of those schools, be patient.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:31 pm

JimH52 wrote:I might be completely wrong about this but I thought getting off wait lists was near impossible at top 14 schools?
Completely wrong. Very common, especially the last few cycles.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:As long as the number of LSAT takers keeps going down apps will keep going down. The number of LSAT takers is still going down.
But the number of 170+ scorers actually increased so far this cycle (http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/high-l ... last-year/).

So LSAT takers may be down overall, but not in the part of the spectrum that matters for those of us looking at T14's.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:49 pm

OP I would go this year. See my link posted above. Also, I think you will likely get into one of those schools, if not several. Just write a good LOCI. If you parents are loaded (as it sounds like they might be), you may considering hiring Spivey consulting to help you craft those LOCI's to give you the maximum chances at snagging one of those other schools.

Once you do, attending at any of those for free is a great situation. I wouldn't wait. Note, this advice only applies since it will be free wherever you go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:02 pm

You mean basically just begging in a LOCI?
Correct. But check out tls's thread on how to craft a good 'Why this LS essay'....

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:40 pm

I know it doesn't feel like it, but you are in an enviable position (in terms of being waitlisted) with that 173. You will probably get accepted off at least one of those waitlists. Start thinking about those LOCIs!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:48 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
But the number of 170+ scorers actually increased so far this cycle (http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/high-l ... last-year/).

So LSAT takers may be down overall, but not in the part of the spectrum that matters for those of us looking at T14's.
The below 170 numbers matter a lot too, because every school other than perhaps Yale and Harvard accept a ton of scores in the 160s. Lots of T-14 schools now have a median below 170. Not to mention the fact that the absolute numbers are still very small on the above-170 side, but the decreases in every other category remain huge.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

The below 170 numbers matter a lot too, because every school other than perhaps Yale and Harvard accept a ton of scores in the 160s. Lots of T-14 schools now have a median below 170. Not to mention the fact that the absolute numbers are still very small on the above-170 side, but the decreases in every other category remain huge.
That's a fair point. I still think it's interesting how the further you move up the LSAT scale the smaller the % decreases were this year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:44 pm

This thread seems pretty silly. Yes, GULC is worth attending for free, assuming you have reason to believe that you can come out of it with a better job than what you could otherwise earn over those three years. I am of the opinion that law school rarely makes sense for K-JD because, generally speaking, there isn't a clear plan in place going in. But there's nothing wrong with GULC. It's a very prestigious school.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:51 pm

kcdc1 wrote:This thread seems pretty silly. Yes, GULC is worth attending for free
Oh come on. Did you read the thread?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:This thread seems pretty silly. Yes, GULC is worth attending for free
Oh come on. Did you read the thread?
Is venture the answer is no lol.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:06 pm

FYI OP-

I know someone with similar #s and no WE who rode his waitlists out and in June it seemed like every other day a new school admitted him.

Just sit tight. Its way too early to be making decisions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”