Ohio State vs Dayton Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mitchellcar

Bronze

Re: Ohio State vs Dayton

Post by Mitchellcar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:04 pm

HP5450 wrote:OSU is the best non T14 for Ohio. Provided you recognize that you're not going to make a lot of money when you start working in Columbus or Cleveland or Cincinnati, OSU is an ok school.

You're going to get a lot of advice to retake, because so few graduating students from these schools end up making real money.
Thanks for the input. I realize I'm not going to be making big law money (New York, Chicago ect) but I want to work in ohio so do you think it would ultimately be best to take the 70000 on debt? I'm just worried about getting stuck with it when I could have gone to school in my area for free.

HP5450

New

Post by HP5450 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:34 pm

That's a tough call. You should definitely retake the LSAT in June. The employment stats for all those schools are pretty terrible. 58% OSU vs. 47% Dayton. Looking at the employment stats, unless you would have a strong preference for being in Columbus, I think avoiding the debt is the best option. Sorta changing my mind on you there.

Mitchellcar

Bronze

Post by Mitchellcar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:04 pm

HP5450 wrote:That's a tough call. You should definitely retake the LSAT in June. The employment stats for all those schools are pretty terrible. 58% OSU vs. 47% Dayton. Looking at the employment stats, unless you would have a strong preference for being in Columbus, I think avoiding the debt is the best option. Sorta changing my mind on you there.
Thanks. I'm going back and forth on this too.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:47 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:54 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:30 pm

First off, what the hell is with all the "retake to get 170+, go to t-14 for biglawl" people here. While the OP never explicitly stated it, it does not appear he is motivated by biglaw or bust. His only apparent goal is to work in Ohio as a legal practitioner, which includes all sorts of small law, mid law, gov't, and PI positions.

Here are my thoughts. For Ohio market, retake to see if you can get more scholarship from OSU. Also, Michigan is a great feeder school into Ohio market for t-14 if the whole biglaw is your thing. If you could get at least a 1/3-1/2 off scholarship from Michigan, it would probably be worth compared to OSU. But generally speaking, OSU is by far and away the best law school for Ohio legal market.

Best of luck!

Mitchellcar

Bronze

Post by Mitchellcar » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:First off, what the hell is with all the "retake to get 170+, go to t-14 for biglawl" people here. While the OP never explicitly stated it, it does not appear he is motivated by biglaw or bust. His only apparent goal is to work in Ohio as a legal practitioner, which includes all sorts of small law, mid law, gov't, and PI positions.

Here are my thoughts. For Ohio market, retake to see if you can get more scholarship from OSU. Also, Michigan is a great feeder school into Ohio market for t-14 if the whole biglaw is your thing. If you could get at least a 1/3-1/2 off scholarship from Michigan, it would probably be worth compared to OSU. But generally speaking, OSU is by far and away the best law school for Ohio legal market.

Best of luck!
Thank you! Finally someone realizes that not everyone has to go to a T14 to be successful especially if you have goals like me just to simply practice law in Ohio. Thank you for your opinon.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:45 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:First off, what the hell is with all the "retake to get 170+, go to t-14 for biglawl" people here. While the OP never explicitly stated it, it does not appear he is motivated by biglaw or bust. His only apparent goal is to work in Ohio as a legal practitioner, which includes all sorts of small law, mid law, gov't, and PI positions.

Best of luck!
Thank you! Finally someone realizes that not everyone has to go to a T14 to be successful especially if you have goals like me just to simply practice law in Ohio. Thank you for your opinon.
I count one person who said you should go to a t14. Everyone else was talking about having better options, such as a full ride to OSU.

I don't understand your strawman. Why are you projecting a t14 or bust mentality that doesn't exist?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:01 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:
Nova wrote:
OP in another thread wrote: I have a 3.74 gpa and have only taken the lsat once with a 159.
3.74 puts you in contention for every school from Columbia down. Your LSAT is really holding you back

retake in June for better options

even if you only hit OSU's median (160...), they'll probably offer you more money
I got a bone to pick with you on that. Yes, a 170+ will get OP Columbia down. That said, it looks to me like a 3.74 with a 173+ puts the OP in excellent position for Harvard. Heck in today's application field, Stanford and Yale aren't completely out of the question.
Fair.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Don't believe the only 4 people were unemployed from OSU. I call bullshit. Students might accept school funded or part time jobs that end after 9 months. When people are desperate they accept any cash paying job offered.

Mitchellcar

Bronze

Post by Mitchellcar » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:13 pm

PepperJack wrote:Don't believe the only 4 people were unemployed from OSU. I call bullshit. Students might accept school funded or part time jobs that end after 9 months. When people are desperate they accept any cash paying job offered.
What makes you think this?

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 am

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:33 am

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mitchellcar

Bronze

Post by Mitchellcar » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm still really struggling with this choice, going back and forth every day. About half the people say that the only better schools then OSU for the Ohio market are HYS and that I would be a mistake not to go there if I want to work in Ohio, even with the debt. The other half say go to Dayton for free. In the Dayton area, UD has a very good reputation and I know of multiple UD law grads that have been very successful, but the rankings do worry me a lot. UGh I really don't know. Any help would be appreciated. Please no advise to retake, I cannot sit out a year.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:I'm still really struggling with this choice, going back and forth every day. About half the people say that the only better schools then OSU for the Ohio market are HYS and that I would be a mistake not to go there if I want to work in Ohio, even with the debt. The other half say go to Dayton for free. In the Dayton area, UD has a very good reputation and I know of multiple UD law grads that have been very successful, but the rankings do worry me a lot. UGh I really don't know. Any help would be appreciated. Please no advise to retake, I cannot sit out a year.
Retake and then go to OSU on a full ride if you want to stay in Ohio so bad. Dayton isn't a very good school and its placement is quite poor, even by law school standards.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:43 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mach9zero

Bronze

Post by mach9zero » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:47 pm

At a 162 I got a full scholarship from OSU, definitely retake for that bump.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Decimus

Bronze

Post by Decimus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:11 pm

Dayton has a law school?

I'm from Cincinnati and I didn't know that...

JJ123

Bronze

Post by JJ123 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:33 pm

mach9zero wrote:At a 162 I got a full scholarship from OSU, definitely retake for that bump.
How? 4.0, URM with an olympic gold medal?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:02 pm

OSU gives out a handful of full-ride Moritz scholarships. It is, to some degree, influenced by your stats. But for the most part, it seems to be based on the essay you write and the interview. My understanding (after having gone through the process and not received the scholarship) is that you need to plan on making a difference somehow with your law degree. I don't think it's public interest focused per se, but you need concrete plans on how you intend to use your law degree to better your community.

Mitchellcar

Bronze

Post by Mitchellcar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Update: I don't think I'm going to attend either osu or Ud. I have decided on a third option, going to university of Cincinnati. I have over a half scholly from uc, and want to do a medium size law in the Cincinnati dayton area. I will be living at home to save all housing costs. Overall coa would be about 30 k. I think that is well worth the investment considering it's the leading school in the area I want to work. What do you all think? Better than osu with 80 k in debt?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Mitchellcar wrote:Update: I don't think I'm going to attend either osu or Ud. I have decided on a third option, going to university of Cincinnati. I have over a half scholly from uc, and want to do a medium size law in the Cincinnati dayton area. I will be living at home to save all housing costs. Overall coa would be about 30 k. I think that is well worth the investment considering it's the leading school in the area I want to work. What do you all think? Better than osu with 80 k in debt?
50/50 shot at real legal work
20% shot at working at a firm with 10+ attorneys.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cincinnati

thebobs1987

Bronze

Post by thebobs1987 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Nova wrote:
Mitchellcar wrote:Update: I don't think I'm going to attend either osu or Ud. I have decided on a third option, going to university of Cincinnati. I have over a half scholly from uc, and want to do a medium size law in the Cincinnati dayton area. I will be living at home to save all housing costs. Overall coa would be about 30 k. I think that is well worth the investment considering it's the leading school in the area I want to work. What do you all think? Better than osu with 80 k in debt?
50/50 shot at real legal work
20% shot at working at a firm with 10+ attorneys.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cincinnati
30k isn't terrible, but you aren't likely to get a medium sized law firm in Cincy or Dayton. As Nova pointed out, you'll be lucky to be a lawyer. Seriously, just retake and go to OSU on a full ride if you want to be in Ohio. Anything else and you will likely be disappointed.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:57 pm

thebobs1987 wrote: 30k isn't terrible, but you aren't likely to get a medium sized law firm in Cincy or Dayton. As Nova pointed out, you'll be lucky to be a lawyer. Seriously, just retake and go to OSU on a full ride if you want to be in Ohio. Anything else and you will likely be disappointed.
30k at UC isn't bad at all. Even if you don't ever end up as a lawyer, you aren't too deep in the hole and can start over in another field. And 30k is easy enough to pay off without having to rely on PAYE.

And all this talk about retaking for a full ride at OSU is silly. They only offer a few full rides a year and it's not determined purely by LSAT score. Yes, it'd be the ideal situation, but if you're retaking for better options then at that point you might as well aim for T14.

Mitchellcar

Bronze

Post by Mitchellcar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”