Indiana Bloomington with $$ or Tennessee (In-State) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Indiana Bloomington or Tennessee?

Indiana Bloomington
35%
Tennessee
65%

Total votes: 26

superflush

Silver

Re: Indiana Bloomington with $$ or Tennessee (In-State)

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:01 pm

Nova wrote:Id like to hear some reasoning from whoever picked Indiana in the poll
If she wants to work in Indiana, Indiana is better.
If she doesn't know where she wants to work, Indiana is also better.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:05 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:If she doesn't know where she wants to work, she needs to pick a place
I don't think that's true. There are plenty of people who didn't decide where they were going to work until 3L year or even after graduation who have ended up just fine.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:11 pm

superflush wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If she doesn't know where she wants to work, she needs to pick a place
I don't think that's true. There are plenty of people who didn't decide where they were going to work until 3L year or even after graduation who have ended up just fine.
there are also people who went to Cooley who have ended up just fine

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:13 pm

I would hardly say that there is a hardline rule that says you need to know where you want to work before you go to IU. I know too many people who have changed their mind at some point in law school or who have been flexible between a few markets that have gotten great jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:33 pm

m elsewhere
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Right, that's a good idea. Decide between Indiana and Tennessee as states to live in, and treat the extra mobility of IU as a bonus.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:08 pm

IUB has a 53% employment score from LST. That is genuinely bad. Any "bonus" for "portability" needs to be heavily discounted.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:05 pm

cron1834 wrote:IUB has a 53% employment score from LST. That is genuinely bad. Any "bonus" for "portability" needs to be heavily discounted.
IU has 22.1% under-employment on LST, Tenn has 20%. I'd say they are fairly similar. I'm fine with including people who have full-time industry jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 pm

You're missing the point. IUB is worse on both measures, and is "not good" on any employment measure. Yet, you seem sanguine about it ITT.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:56 pm

cron1834 wrote:You're missing the point. IUB is worse on both measures, and is "not good" on any employment measure. Yet, you seem sanguine about it ITT.
I'm saying that they are in the same league, and the difference is quite small. IU has higher salaries and much wider alumni network, etc. as well.

Compare http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011 with http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... class=2011

The Above The Law rankings, which primarily measure employment and quality jobs has IU 40th, but doesn't place UTK at all: http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-school-rankings/

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:35 pm

superflush wrote: I'm saying that they are in the same league, and the difference is quite small.
We can agree on this. I'm not going to address the rest - you just seem to be spouting a lot of boomerism ITT.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:53 am

cron1834 wrote:
superflush wrote: I'm saying that they are in the same league, and the difference is quite small.
We can agree on this. I'm not going to address the rest - you just seem to be spouting a lot of boomerism ITT.
Yep.

Superflush, are you an IU student?
They are both just state flagship schools with virtually no mobility. Throw in the fact that OP is from Tennessee and it would be at least 30k cheaper and UT is an easy choice.

These stats are not helpful. Ranking 40th on ATL's rankings is not any advantage whatsoever that OP should take into account. Going to either one, you will probably need to be top 10% or so for a really good outcome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:11 am

Alum.

The OP said she wanted to stay in the Indiana market. I would consider the extra money worth it in that case. Perhaps she can try to negotiate the scholarship too.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 am

Evidence that IUB has more portability?

I don't think that most people outside of the state of Indiana even know what a Bloomington is.

yeslekkkk

Bronze

Post by yeslekkkk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:28 pm

It doesn't seem like Indiana is worth the extra 10 grand a year. UTK is more affordable and has better LST scores. Neither will help you move around that much more than the other.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:41 pm

deadpanic wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:What I am really baffled with about this thread is why is IUB giving you 20,000/yr while TN is not going you a dime, that does not make sense to me. If you got into IUB with $$, presumably your credential is above median if not near the top for TN. I don't know anything about TN, just curious is all.
IU is more like a Minnesota or Alabama that plays the rankings game to get a meaningless 20-something ranking, so they throw out a ton of cash to either high GPA or high LSAT candidates. UT is like a lot of other state schools and doesn't dish out a ton of $$, especially to people already in-state.
Agree with this. I considered UTK. Good school. I appreciated their honesty. They charge the vast majority of their students the same tuition, which also happens to be a fair price. Also met a lot of fine people down there.

I picked CU because the mountains in Colorado were taller. Won't even try to defend that.

But yeah OP Indiana is not a better school than Tennessee. USNEWS is garbage. State flagships are state flagships with only a couple exceptions-- Berkeley, Texas, Mich, Virginia… Seriously the University of Montana is just as good as the University of Georgia. Just gotta pick where you want to live bud.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kellohitty

Bronze

Post by kellohitty » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:25 pm

Update: I just found out that I will also be receiving a 5k/yr scholarship from UT along with instate tuition, making tuition+fees come out to 14k a yr and 45k cheaper than IUB. My decision may have gotten even easier to make.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:57 pm

How many times did you sit for the LSAT ? Scores ?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:15 pm

kellohitty wrote:Update: I just found out that I will also be receiving a 5k/yr scholarship from UT along with instate tuition, making tuition+fees come out to 14k a yr and 45k cheaper than IUB. My decision may have gotten even easier to make.
That's certainly positive news. Congrats. Do you have any desire to practice in Tennessee over Indiana, or vice versa?

Gunner22

New

Post by Gunner22 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:58 am

I said Tenn since it sounds like you are from there(?). It's going to be all about ties. You will have an easier time finding employment if you go to Tennessee. And the icing on the cake is that it's much cheaper with your in-state tuition + 5k/scholly. In this economy, minimizing debt is everything.

If you go to Indiana, you're going to have a harder time getting a job in Indiana because you'll be seen as an outsider and will first have to prove your loyalty that you aren't a flight risk.

And yes, Indiana does negotiate. I did it last cycle and got them to up it another 3k. You need to show them competing offers though from rival schools. In my situation, I used my leverage from Minny and Illinois.

And do not be fooled into looking at rankings. Indiana is really good at the things USNWR looks for, but that's only one side of the coin. Look at LST and see the employment #'s. Those don't lie. In this regard, Tenn does just fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:52 pm

I graduated from UTK so keep that in mind as I give you a bit of insight onto this.

As everyone has mentioned, neither is really a "portable" degree. The state of Tennessee has a much better market outlook than Indiana. Even if you consider the very few IU students that get to Chicago and New York, the IU outlook is pretty bleak (hence the scores from LST mentioned above). Tennessee isn't much better, but I would argue has more and stronger placement in its own markets. Memphis is mostly Memphis kids but a decent amount of UTK in the larger firms (although you really need Memphis ties to get there). Nashville is tough for everyone, but Tennessee does just as well as any school there (maybe sans Vanderbilt, but we had pretty solid placement in the biggest five firms in Nash this year). Knoxville and Chattanooga and Tri-Cities are predominantly UTK, and if you have ties to TN (TN undergrad), you should be fine to be competitive there. We have few kids go to larger markets out of state (think Atlanta, Birmingham, Orlando, Charlotte, Raleigh), but the numbers are probably comparable to IU kids going to Chicago/NY.

Personally, I can tell you that pretty much all of my classmates have legal jobs. Not all of them are doing their dream job, but the vast majority of them are doing enjoyable work. I think our employment rate this year was about 55% at graduation and about 12% NLJ250 firms (which is actually very solid compared to 'peer schools'). Keep in mind that if your goal is a six-figure salary at a Vault firm, neither of these is a good option. However, if you're comfortable making $50Kish in a smaller city or rural market, UTK is definitely a good option for you (especially considering scholarship and residency).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”