UT ($$) v. T14 (probably sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yesmanyesman

UT ($$) v. T14 (probably sticker)

Postby yesmanyesman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 pm

still hearing aid offers but i have gotten into a number of t14 schools (boalt, cornell, gt, duke, mich, etc.) with no aid offers (thus far) but i have also gotten into UT with 25K, (tuition is 33K because i am in-state), law school endgame: Biglaw (~V50), I am open to living in texas but kind of want to get out of here...

should i stick to my guns with ut and come out with minimal debt (parents helping me out, will probably throw in another 30-40K), or get in debt for a T10 school by paying close to sticker? I know this is a pretty generic question but any advice/help would be appreciated.

PS: 167/3.84

brotherdarkness

Re: UT ($$) v. T14 (probably sticker)

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:36 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:37 pm

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:45 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Have you begun negotiating scholarships yet? I'd take your UT offer to Cornell and GULC and see if they offer you anything. If they do, work your way up the totem pole and see if you can get money from Duke, Michigan, or Berkeley.

Could be wrong but I think the OP jumped the gun. Cornell and Duke didn't offer me anything until March IIRC.

GULC is a POS so who cares about them and Berk will likely Berk as usual and lay down some of that patented sticker shock.

I think Michigan was the first to offer me anything but they were stingier than their peers.

I don't think any of those schools would respect a UT offer but A. It's worth a shot and B. I would wait a bit on that. Let them fire the first shot. Just IMO, YMMV.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Though it was way back in 2008, I leveraged a UT scholarship for money at Cornell without breaking a sweat. Do that and then go back to UT for more. It may not work with getting more from UT, but it's worth trying and worth the practice.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”