SMU or ASU?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DawgDays

SMU or ASU?

Postby DawgDays » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Hey folks, relatively simple question that I'm sure will begin WWIII. I've narrowed down my acceptance choices to both ASU and SMU, and (believe) that I would be fine living in either area for the rest of my life; simply put, what's the best bang for my buck? As to why I've narrowed it down to those two, either/both are most attractive to me in terms of living there not only for three years, but also forever.

As an unhelpful endnote, I've yet to receive my actual packages from either school, so I'm not sure what the COA would be at either... Really, I'm most concerned about which one gives me the best realistic shot at biglaw.

Other acceptances:
UGA (go there currently)
Bama (visited and was somewhat underwhelmed)
Miami (23,000/yr)
William and Mary (12,000/yr)
Tulane (10,000/yr)
Last edited by DawgDays on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: SMU or ASU?

Postby Nova » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:50 pm

DawgDays wrote:Really, I'm most concerned about which one gives me the best realistic shot at biglaw.

neither

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

DawgDays

Postby DawgDays » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:18 pm

..Yes thanks, that was dreadfully helpful in deciding between the two. Perhaps I should have specified a little further: I'm incredibly familiar with LST, ATL, etc etc, and I'm quite capable of googling things (I know I didn't get into a T14, but shockingly, I've retained my motor functions).

So, again, which between the two (SMU and ASU) would give me a better shot at biglaw. In all honesty, I'm looking for folks currently at or graduated from either of those schools for their opinion--not a TLS flame war.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Both give a realistic chance of biglaw if you're top 5-10%.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:26 pm

check lst.

i think it is SMU?

but not by much

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:30 pm

I would probably go to smu because it places into a relatively healthy market. AZ is a shut show from what I've heard, so I would avoid it.

I think you should consider UGA. If I remember correctly it's very cheap for in state and it sounds like you would have the strongest ties there. GL

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:31 pm

SMU will be more expensive, but SMU's alumni network, at least in Dallas, can't be beat by ASU. Athough SMU's reach is regional, I can't imagine ASU's being much larger if larger at all, and considering Dallas firms pay market, I'd choose SMU if the costs between the two are similar.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:33 pm

DawgDays wrote:I'm incredibly familiar with LST

which between the two (SMU and ASU) would give me a better shot at biglaw

the numbers are right in front of you

SMU consistently places a higher % of grads in large firms

cant tell you which is the best bang for your buck without COA

both are bad bets for biglaw

DawgDays

Postby DawgDays » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:41 pm

crit_racer wrote:I would probably go to smu because it places into a relatively healthy market. AZ is a shut show from what I've heard, so I would avoid it.

I think you should consider UGA. If I remember correctly it's very cheap for in state and it sounds like you would have the strongest ties there. GL

Oh I have considered it, I just don't want to remain in GA, and UGA's weight drops precipitously outside of the Southeast.

Regarding everything else, I'm leaning toward SMU as I have a feeling they'll chuck some money my way; if anyone can tell me more (from personal experience or hearsay) regarding SMU and their alumni network, that'd be swell.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

DawgDays

Postby DawgDays » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:45 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Do you have any "ties" to Texas? If you're gunning for TX biglaw and aren't at a T14 or UT, not having any ties to the region is going to make things more difficult than they already will be.

Eh, other than a few random family members that live/used to live in Dallas, I can't say that I do.

fountino

Postby fountino » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Current SMU 2L. I'm splitting this coming summer at two large firms.

Ties to Texas mean something, but are often over emphasized on TLS. If you are interviewing at a firm's Dallas office, simply by virtue of attending SMU you've created enough "ties" to be passable. Mention that you have some family in Texas and then speak focus on your prospective interest in remaining in Dallas.

The placement numbers are right in front of you, but I would add a couple of observations that may be helpful. (1) Unlike other markets, Dallas actually has a reasonable amount of mid law jobs that make missing the big law boat less devastating. (2) The very reasonable cost of living in Dallas also leads to a broader range of "positive employment outcomes" than other more pricey markets.

That said, don't attend SMU without a substantial scholarship; 8% compounding interest eats away at a reasonable cost of living very quickly.

PM with any more detailed questions.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:40 pm

You want big law and don't have any ties to these areas?

Neither, retake.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 pm

What's your LSAT?

DawgDays

Postby DawgDays » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 am

fountino wrote:Current SMU 2L. I'm splitting this coming summer at two large firms.

Ties to Texas mean something, but are often over emphasized on TLS. If you are interviewing at a firm's Dallas office, simply by virtue of attending SMU you've created enough "ties" to be passable. Mention that you have some family in Texas and then speak focus on your prospective interest in remaining in Dallas.

The placement numbers are right in front of you, but I would add a couple of observations that may be helpful. (1) Unlike other markets, Dallas actually has a reasonable amount of mid law jobs that make missing the big law boat less devastating. (2) The very reasonable cost of living in Dallas also leads to a broader range of "positive employment outcomes" than other more pricey markets.

That said, don't attend SMU without a substantial scholarship; 8% compounding interest eats away at a reasonable cost of living very quickly.

PM with any more detailed questions.

Thank you! I may end up doing that, again, I'm waiting on the actual packages from both, but if SMU decides to give me enough... it's a definite maybe.

Again, thanks for an actually helpful reply.

DawgDays

Postby DawgDays » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:39 am

kalvano wrote:What's your LSAT?

Not fantastic. I got a 158, however, I have an extremely strong GPA from a strong department within UGA.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:16 am

DawgDays wrote:

Not fantastic. I got a 158, however, I have an extremely strong GPA from a strong department within UGA.

You won't like this, but: consider retaking and going next year

DawgDays

Postby DawgDays » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:27 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:You won't like this, but: consider retaking and going next year

I did consider, but financially, I can't do that. Unfortunately, that's off the table, so I gotta stick with what I got.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 am

DawgDays wrote:

Are you URM? Unfortunately, SMU tends to favor LSAT over GPA when it comes to scholarships.

I think that SMU probably gives you a slightly higher chance of what you want, but is also very expensive. It's going to come down to the cost difference, ultimately , and go with whichever is less expensive.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 pm

DawgDays wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:You won't like this, but: consider retaking and going next year

I did consider, but financially, I can't do that. Unfortunately, that's off the table, so I gotta stick with what I got.

I don't think I've ever heard this excuse before. I'm intrigued. Financially speaking, why would it be in your best interest to take a middling school rather than a really good one?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:40 pm

DawgDays wrote:

I assume you mean you can't support yourself for a year while studying, and that you therefore need to go to law school right away. Keep in mind this means mortgaging your future: you'll be taking on lots of debt. Much better to work some crappy job (seriously, even if it's just tending bar or loading trucks at UPS or something) while studying. If you break into the mid 160s, you'll be looking at some nice scholarships at regional schools, saving you tens of thousands of dollars.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:25 pm

[quotn
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DawgDays

Postby DawgDays » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:38 pm

To answer all of (basically) the same questions at once, the reason is that I have guaranteed help provided I begin this upcoming school year. So, in point of fact, I won't be taking on six figures of debt, especially if I get a decent scholarship.

DawgDays

Postby DawgDays » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 pm

kalvano wrote:Are you URM? Unfortunately, SMU tends to favor LSAT over GPA when it comes to scholarships.

I think that SMU probably gives you a slightly higher chance of what you want, but is also very expensive. It's going to come down to the cost difference, ultimately , and go with whichever is less expensive.

No, I'm whiter than a snowflake and considerably less fun to throw at your friends.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:43 pm

The lower number of apps has forced SMU to change the way they do some things, so hopefully they'll throw some money your way for a good GPA.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”