Boston College Law vs. University of Wisconsin-Madison $$$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BC law or Wisconsin ($$$)

BC law ($--??)
13%
Wisconsin ($$$)
80%
Loyola Chicago ($$)
7%
American U ($)
No votes

Total votes: 15

fajita12

Boston College Law vs. University of Wisconsin-Madison $$$

Postby fajita12 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:30 pm

Hey guys,

I've been accepted to both schools, no $$ info for BC law yet. University of Wisconsin would be of absolute NO cost for me.

I'd like to end up in the Chicago legal market or the DC legal market. I also got into a TTT Chicago school with $$, and American U in DC with $. I currently have ties in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and Chicago. I'm NOT a big fan of Wisconsin in general--I'll put up with the cold if I'm in Chicago, but passing up no debt from Madison is tough.

I like that BC is jesuit, better known/ranked, and has more public interest/international opportunities. I hope to end up in the public interest/non-profit arena. Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Nova

Re: Boston College Law vs. University of Wisconsin-Madison $$$

Postby Nova » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Attending Wisconsin with no ties or desire to work in Wisconsin would be a mistake. UW doesn't place well outside the state

Americans placement is awful and should never be attended

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:37 pm

DC is a no-go from these schools. Avoid American at all costs.

Right now you don't have many great options. U-W is the best. Wait until the other Chicago TTTs have made decisions. What about Illinois in-state?

fajita12

Postby fajita12 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:01 pm

I don't have in-state residence for Illinois. I am from Florida, I have one strong Chicago tie as of now but that's about it.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Wisconsin would be the best school out of these choices for Chicago regardless. The fact that it would be free is the kicker.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 pm

superflush wrote:Wisconsin would be the best school out of these choices for Chicago regardless. The fact that it would be free is the kicker.

Obviously theres some self selection involved but only like 5% of UWs class ends up in Chicago.

Bet most of the 5% are top of the class big law kids

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:15 pm

If you're cool with Wisconsin, go to Wisconsin but don't expect to get a job anywhere else. Otherwise, retake for U of Chicago. That said, what's your GPA? If it's not high enough for Chicago, then assess the other schools in Chicago. If it is, then yeah, do the retake.

fajita12

Postby fajita12 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:41 pm

I will be applying to UIUC and ND (I know it's pretty late in the cycle...), but I'm leaning towards Madison because it's a decent school and at no cost to me. I'm not trying at all to get Chicago "biglaw", I'm just trying to shoot for Chicago long-term in the sense of doing non-profit or other work, even at small organizations. Since I'll have no debt, I thought it might be a really smart decision. Now I think I'm screwed because I'll end up in Wisconsin for the rest of my life??? I don't have a high enough gpa for UofChi or NU in Chicago, but my lsat score was decent, I'm a URM and I have decent softs...

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:04 pm

I don't think Wisconsin is a bad move here but just make sure you are hustling every summer as far as interning in Chicago and of course getting high grades. There are plenty of UW law grads in Chicago so just reach out to alumni in the area and make sure to mass mail. I think it can be done. Going to UW free is not a bad choice. Again, free is the only way though that this is okay. Not free and it's not okay.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:54 pm

fajita12 wrote:Since I'll have no debt, I thought it might be a really smart decision. Now I think I'm screwed because I'll end up in Wisconsin for the rest of my life???

Just go to Chicago after graduation if it makes the most sense.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 pm

When you say "not a high enough GPA for NU," how low are we talking? Because NU has been known to take some pretty low GPAs

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:29 pm

Go look in the PI thread for lots of advice about your situation.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”