Full time to Part time

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Domke
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Full time to Part time

Postby Domke » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:24 pm

The last time I posted I was convinced I either needed to retake or not go to law school. I looked hard at the numbers and the argument made sense. Graduating 150k in debt and making 75k is a bad financial decision. But recently I came up with an idea and want to know what people here think.

I could do law school full time the first year taking out 30k in loans. After that I could work part time and go to school part time paying my own living expenses and most of my tuition without taking out any more loans. I am a nurse and there are plenty of people I work with making 50k a year from part time work. This means I could graduate with only 30k in debt.

According to my scholarship info the amount I am awarded is based on full time and will be adjusted to cover the same amount if I change to part time.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? The absolute worst case scenario I go back to nursing and pay off my loan in 5 years.

BTW The school I am basing this on is Lewis and Clark in Portland.

User avatar
twenty
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby twenty » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:39 pm

Why do law school full time the first year? If you were going to do this, just commit to a four-year track and work full time for 80k+/yr.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:00 pm

30K debt but how much are you paying out of pocket?

Lewis and Clark really isn't a very good school in terms of job placement. I would be surprised if more than 10% of the class is making 75K, but I haven't done as much digging as you undoubtedly have so please correct me if I'm wrong. What percentage of the class is making that kind of money?

What are you trying to do with your JD?

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby 052220151 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Please restate your employment goals. If I remember correctly you want Seattle. I don't know if L&C will get you a decent job up there even with ties. As far as working in Portland goes, if you do this, don't expect to get Tonkon, schwabe, miller Nash, etc

User avatar
Domke
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby Domke » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:41 pm

deputydog wrote:Please restate your employment goals. If I remember correctly you want Seattle. I don't know if L&C will get you a decent job up there even with ties. As far as working in Portland goes, if you do this, don't expect to get Tonkon, schwabe, miller Nash, etc


I want to work in healthcare law, specifically policy or risk management. I would do malpractice to pay the bills. I have some experience working with people from risk management at the hospital I work in now.

I am from Seattle (live in LA right now) I want to work in the PNW, Portland or Seattle is fine.

A lot of those firms your mentioned don't even have a healthcare practice. From talking to practicing lawyers it seems most healthcare law right now is done by medium and boutique firms, other than hospital mergers, which isn't really healthcare law.
Last edited by Domke on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Domke
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby Domke » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:53 pm

twenty wrote:Why do law school full time the first year? If you were going to do this, just commit to a four-year track and work full time for 80k+/yr.


First, doing well in school is the most important thing. I'm afraid splitting my time would reduce my chances of doing well when I haven't gone to school in a couple of years. Secondly, the big downside to going to school part time is the lack of connections. I'm thinking going to school full time for one year would allow me to build at least some of a network before switching to part time. I may end up working full time while going to school part time but I want to make sure I can handle it. I worked full time while earning my BSN and it basically left no time for anything else, I imagine law school will be harder.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby 052220151 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Domke wrote:
deputydog wrote:Please restate your employment goals. If I remember correctly you want Seattle. I don't know if L&C will get you a decent job up there even with ties. As far as working in Portland goes, if you do this, don't expect to get Tonkon, schwabe, miller Nash, etc


I want to work in healthcare law, specifically policy or risk management. I would do malpractice to pay the bills. I have some experience working with people from risk management at the hospital I work in now.

I am from Seattle (live in LA right now) I want to work in the PNW, Portland or Seattle is fine. A lot of those firms don't even have a healthcare practice. From talking to practicing lawyers it seems most healthcare law right now is done by medium and boutique firms, other than hospital mergers, which isn't really healthcare law.



Really? DWT, Perkins, and Stoel all do healthcare. My guess is that they would get the lionsharebof the higher end work, and you're not going to get there from L&C PT. You should definitely retake considering the competitive markets and narrow field of practice you're wanting. L&C pt to do what you want to do is a big long shot, and you haven't stated if you would be okay doing something else.

User avatar
d cooper
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby d cooper » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:17 pm

This seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to avoid retaking your 164.

User avatar
Domke
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby Domke » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:26 pm

deputydog wrote:
Domke wrote:
deputydog wrote:Please restate your employment goals. If I remember correctly you want Seattle. I don't know if L&C will get you a decent job up there even with ties. As far as working in Portland goes, if you do this, don't expect to get Tonkon, schwabe, miller Nash, etc


I want to work in healthcare law, specifically policy or risk management. I would do malpractice to pay the bills. I have some experience working with people from risk management at the hospital I work in now.

I am from Seattle (live in LA right now) I want to work in the PNW, Portland or Seattle is fine. A lot of those firms don't even have a healthcare practice. From talking to practicing lawyers it seems most healthcare law right now is done by medium and boutique firms, other than hospital mergers, which isn't really healthcare law.



Really? DWT, Perkins, and Stoel all do healthcare. My guess is that they would get the lionsharebof the higher end work, and you're not going to get there from L&C PT. You should definitely retake considering the competitive markets and narrow field of practice you're wanting. L&C pt to do what you want to do is a big long shot, and you haven't stated if you would be okay doing something else.


You didn't say any of those firms, though I guess you could imply them with "ect." I've been told by practicing attorneys that with my background I shouldn't have any trouble finding a job. You're right it might not be the high end stuff but with only 30k debt I think I will be okay at a lower paying job.

If I really couldn't find a law job I could always go back to being a nurse, and chalk the whole thing up as a very expensive learning experience. Though I expect a JD after my name wouldn't hurt when looking for a management job.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:38 pm

BigZuck wrote:30K debt but how much are you paying out of pocket?

Lewis and Clark really isn't a very good school in terms of job placement. I would be surprised if more than 10% of the class is making 75K, but I haven't done as much digging as you undoubtedly have so please correct me if I'm wrong. What percentage of the class is making that kind of money?


This.

Also, why not UW?

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby 052220151 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Domke wrote:
deputydog wrote:
Domke wrote:
deputydog wrote:Please restate your employment goals. If I remember correctly you want Seattle. I don't know if L&C will get you a decent job up there even with ties. As far as working in Portland goes, if you do this, don't expect to get Tonkon, schwabe, miller Nash, etc


I want to work in healthcare law, specifically policy or risk management. I would do malpractice to pay the bills. I have some experience working with people from risk management at the hospital I work in now.

I am from Seattle (live in LA right now) I want to work in the PNW, Portland or Seattle is fine. A lot of those firms don't even have a healthcare practice. From talking to practicing lawyers it seems most healthcare law right now is done by medium and boutique firms, other than hospital mergers, which isn't really healthcare law.



Really? DWT, Perkins, and Stoel all do healthcare. My guess is that they would get the lionsharebof the higher end work, and you're not going to get there from L&C PT. You should definitely retake considering the competitive markets and narrow field of practice you're wanting. L&C pt to do what you want to do is a big long shot, and you haven't stated if you would be okay doing something else.


You didn't say any of those firms, though I guess you could imply them with "ect." I've been told by practicing attorneys that with my background I shouldn't have any trouble finding a job. You're right it might not be the high end stuff but with only 30k debt I think I will be okay at a lower paying job.

If I really couldn't find a law job I could always go back to being a nurse, and chalk the whole thing up as a very expensive learning experience. Though I expect a JD after my name wouldn't hurt when looking for a management job.


Please for the love of god just retake. Let's, for argument sake, assume you are 30. If you retake, you graduate at 34 instead of 33, that means you will work 31 years as a lawyer instead of 32. Would you rather be a lawyer in the job you want for 31 years, or cut and paste boiler plate motions doing personal injury for 32 years. I'm sure your WE gives you a substantial advantage when it comes to hiring for the job you want. Fact of the matter is, if you do decently well at a T14, with your WE and your ties, there is no reason you can't be doing what you want to do at an NLJ 250.

I want you to do well. Objectively your best option is to retake. You and I are on eerily similar situations. I retook, twice. I sat out, two extra years. I can't be more happy with my decision. Please, retake.

User avatar
Legacy Rabbit
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:53 pm

deputydog wrote:Please for the love of god just retake. Let's, for argument sake, assume you are 30. If you retake, you graduate at 34 instead of 33, that means you will work 31 years as a lawyer instead of 32. Would you rather be a lawyer in the job you want for 31 years, or cut and paste boiler plate motions doing personal injury for 32 years. I'm sure your WE gives you a substantial advantage when it comes to hiring for the job you want. Fact of the matter is, if you do decently well at a T14, with your WE and your ties, there is no reason you can't be doing what you want to do at an NLJ 250.

I want you to do well. Objectively your best option is to retake. You and I are on eerily similar situations. I retook, twice. I sat out, two extra years. I can't be more happy with my decision. Please, retake.


You situation is so close to me.

My mother is a RN, licensed for 15 years now (and has only worked through an agency as oppose to a hospital, and she also is seeking a career change. I introduced her to an attorney in my area who does medical malpractice. She only consults for him, and makes extra income on the side. A neighbor who is a LVN, I am also trying to help her to do consulting as well.

Please take to light what the above poster is saying. You have a number of options available to you once you finish school. Do not settle. You have the funds, hire a private tutor now, and work part-time, so you can study. Keep moving until you reach at least 174+. If you want to stay in the northwest, try University of Washington. But with 174+ and your background. You are solid for scholarships. Why work part-time in law school, when you can work parttime now, and study with a tutor. So you can reach the goal of T14 with near to full scholarship. I worked with at tutor who took me finally into the 160s. I had to stop because of work, but I am going back to reach the 174+. If the income is there, and you need the extra stretch, a tutor is the best.

BigZuck
Posts: 10884
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Full time to Part time

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:26 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
deputydog wrote:Please for the love of god just retake. Let's, for argument sake, assume you are 30. If you retake, you graduate at 34 instead of 33, that means you will work 31 years as a lawyer instead of 32. Would you rather be a lawyer in the job you want for 31 years, or cut and paste boiler plate motions doing personal injury for 32 years. I'm sure your WE gives you a substantial advantage when it comes to hiring for the job you want. Fact of the matter is, if you do decently well at a T14, with your WE and your ties, there is no reason you can't be doing what you want to do at an NLJ 250.

I want you to do well. Objectively your best option is to retake. You and I are on eerily similar situations. I retook, twice. I sat out, two extra years. I can't be more happy with my decision. Please, retake.


You situation is so close to me.

My mother is a RN, licensed for 15 years now (and has only worked through an agency as oppose to a hospital, and she also is seeking a career change. I introduced her to an attorney in my area who does medical malpractice. She only consults for him, and makes extra income on the side. A neighbor who is a LVN, I am also trying to help her to do consulting as well.

Please take to light what the above poster is saying. You have a number of options available to you once you finish school. Do not settle. You have the funds, hire a private tutor now, and work part-time, so you can study. Keep moving until you reach at least 174+. If you want to stay in the northwest, try University of Washington. But with 174+ and your background. You are solid for scholarships. Why work part-time in law school, when you can work parttime now, and study with a tutor. So you can reach the goal of T14 with near to full scholarship. I worked with at tutor who took me finally into the 160s. I had to stop because of work, but I am going back to reach the 174+. If the income is there, and you need the extra stretch, a tutor is the best.


174 sounds weirdly specific/overkill

Why that number?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 2 guests