Likelihood that NW offers same ED Program next cycle?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
scootsy

Likelihood that NW offers same ED Program next cycle?

Postby scootsy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:42 pm

NW is the only T14 I have a remote shot at, and my best chances in would be through ED. That $50k/year with the ED program would be icing on the cake. Will that offer likely be available next cycle?

Also, does this make their ED applicant pool increasingly competitive? Or do many applicants aiming for T14 expect this kind of money anyways from a lower end school like NW?

d cooper

Re: Likelihood that NW offers same ED Program next cycle?

Postby d cooper » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:06 pm

Yes, it will probably be the same next cycle. But ED admission is significantly harder to get than RD admission. If you have only a "remote shot" at RD, you almost certainly won't get in ED.

RD medians are 3.75/170. I'm not aware of any released data on ED applicants, but based on past threads I'd say for the most part you need to be at/above both medians to be competitive for ED.
Last edited by d cooper on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scootsy

Postby scootsy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:19 pm

I figured I had it wrong. I don't even know what RD is. Forgive my ignorance.

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Regular decision.

scootsy

Postby scootsy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:24 pm

go figure. thanks.

birdlaw624

Postby birdlaw624 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:26 pm

I've read that the ED scholarship to NU is a way for them to lure away candidates who would likely choose HYSCCN over NU. So I'm guessing that it's very unlikely that a splitter with a very high LSAT (i.e. around a 3.2 GPA and 178+ LSAT) could get in ED to NU. Is that the case or have there ever been instances of a splitter getting in ED?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 pm

birdlaw624 wrote:I've read that the ED scholarship to NU is a way for them to lure away candidates who would likely choose HYSCCN over NU. So I'm guessing that it's very unlikely that a splitter with a very high LSAT (i.e. around a 3.2 GPA and 178+ LSAT) could get in ED to NU. Is that the case or have there ever been instances of a splitter getting in ED?

A 3.55/174 got in. I agree that splitters like the one you describe are very unlikely to get the full ride, but people with those numbers have a legitimate chance at CCN these days.

Toby Ziegler

Postby Toby Ziegler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:08 pm

NU's medians are 3.75 and 169 not 170 (and this is for their traditional 3-year JD). There were a few instances in this year's thread where 75% GPA and median or 1 point above median LSATs were getting in ED. And I wouldn't say NU's ED is aimed to take away HYS applicants, rather those are taken away by Butler, Hamilton, Ruby, etc. at CCN. NU's ED, at best, is aimed to take away applicants who will be paying sticker at CCN.

Edited: For clarity

Return to “Choosing a Law School”