Thoughts on H vs. S?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
drevo

Re: Thoughts on H vs. S?

Postby drevo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:21 pm

kartelite wrote:
deputydog wrote:Go to Stanford cause the weather is better and California girls are smokin' hot.

Stanford is in the Bay Area, not SoCal...just sayin' :roll:

Egregious Nor Cal trolling. I grew up pretty close to Stanford and have lived in So Cal for a few years now and no doubt the Bay gets a little colder and a bit hotter at certain times of the year (and usually has more rain but this year the drought has evened that up). But in no way is Palo Alto weather bad. It's better and more temperate than basically everywhere else in America. I never needed more than a hoodie to get by in the winters. Think that will fly at Harvard?

And yes there are plenty of smokin' hot women in the Bay. Especially the nicer areas.

kartelite

Postby kartelite » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:47 pm

drevo wrote:
kartelite wrote:
deputydog wrote:Go to Stanford cause the weather is better and California girls are smokin' hot.

Stanford is in the Bay Area, not SoCal...just sayin' :roll:

Egregious Nor Cal trolling. I grew up pretty close to Stanford and have lived in So Cal for a few years now and no doubt the Bay gets a little colder and a bit hotter at certain times of the year (and usually has more rain but this year the drought has evened that up). But in no way is Palo Alto weather bad. It's better and more temperate than basically everywhere else in America. I never needed more than a hoodie to get by in the winters. Think that will fly at Harvard?

And yes there are plenty of smokin' hot women in the Bay. Especially the nicer areas.

Serious question, what do you mean by the "nicer areas"? Like the Marina/North Beach in SF, Santana Row in SJ, or Palo Alto? Are there really places that compare to the Gaslamp in SD? I've lived in the Bay Area as well, but probably don't know areas outside SF as well as you.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:10 pm

It's a tough choice. I would go to Stanford over Harvard personally, but thats because Im from CA, had more CA-oriented goals coming into law school and went to a small private college so the smaller classes appealed to me (although Im at a school now with a larger class size than S and happy with my choice). Harvard makes more sense for a lot of people, and it accounts in part for Stanfords' surprisingly low yield (people chose H over S in larger numbers than I would expect).

Don't buy the "SLS is all chill" crap, people still work incredibly hard and stress out there - law school is universally intense - although comparitively, my friends at S have a somewhat happier experience than Harvard, but this is anecdotal.

I think "fit" and "experience, after $, should play a large role here. Definitely visit for ASW and get the true opinions of students in the areas of practice/agency work you're interested, not just adcoms and the students who volunteered to white lie for the school on its behalf.

Sometimes these kinds of comments take flak on TLS, but I suggest especially with this choice that you consider the alumni network overlap from UG as well, if only as a tertiary consideration. People don't entirely stop caring where you went to undergrad, especially biglaw hiring partners and gov positions. If you want to be in California, Stanford is the obvious dominating presence. But consider the combination of networks (for example, If you went to Stanford or Berkeley for UG, Id go to Harvard to broaden your reach, whereas if I went to an Ivy undergrad, Stanford would do most to stretch your ties and connections). I've already found my undergrad/law school network diversity to prove valuable.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”