A bit early, but I'm interested in your thoughts

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
isuperserial

A bit early, but I'm interested in your thoughts

Postby isuperserial » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:10 pm

-The schools you are considering
Boston College, Notre Dame, WUSTL, Wake Forest, UIUC, Iowa

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
Wherever I go, my folks will be paying for my apartment, food, books... Tuition is my responsibility.

Haven't heard scholarship info from BC, ND, or WUSTL yet as I just was admitted to them all within the past two weeks. Rather here, I'm wondering what sort of scholarship you believe would make them competitive offers with UIUC or Wake Forest?

COA:

UIUC: ~70k
Wake Forest: ~30k
Iowa: ~17k/57k

Iowa is doing this weird thing where they are adjusting it to the instate cost for my second and third years. However, they say that if I get a research assistant position, I'll only be charged instate anyway, so years 2 and 3 are free. They claim that getting RA positions are a simple matter, but I'm skeptical as to how true this is. Obviously this drastically impacts the scholarship offer. Other than that, all the scholarships are stipulation free, save for requiring that I remain in good academic standing.

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
There's a lot of factors at play, but for now lets say loans.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
I would love to work in the city of Chicago or the surrounding area. I'm from Michigan, but my family all graduated from UIUC for undergrad. I have lots of aunts and uncles scattered about the city and the Schaumburg area. I also have a dream of ending up on the east coast in NY or Mass., but I know it's brutal competition out there. Not that Chicago is a walk in the park either, but I'm figuring that the schools I've been accepted to with the exception of BC are more Chicago oriented than anything else.

-Your general career goals
Comfortable employment. Biglaw is nice, but not necessary.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

163/3.5

-How many times you have taken the LSAT
Twice, got 163 both times.

Retake3X

Re: A bit early, but I'm interested in your thoughts

Postby Retake3X » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:20 pm

isuperserial wrote:-The schools you are considering
Boston College, Notre Dame, WUSTL, Wake Forest, UIUC, Iowa

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
Wherever I go, my folks will be paying for my apartment, food, books... Tuition is my responsibility.

Haven't heard scholarship info from BC, ND, or WUSTL yet as I just was admitted to them all within the past two weeks. Rather here, I'm wondering what sort of scholarship you believe would make them competitive offers with UIUC or Wake Forest?

COA:

UIUC: ~70k
Wake Forest: ~30k
Iowa: ~17k/57k

Iowa is doing this weird thing where they are adjusting it to the instate cost for my second and third years. However, they say that if I get a research assistant position, I'll only be charged instate anyway, so years 2 and 3 are free. They claim that getting RA positions are a simple matter, but I'm skeptical as to how true this is. Obviously this drastically impacts the scholarship offer. Other than that, all the scholarships are stipulation free, save for requiring that I remain in good academic standing.

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
There's a lot of factors at play, but for now lets say loans.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
I would love to work in the city of Chicago or the surrounding area. I'm from Michigan, but my family all graduated from UIUC for undergrad. I have lots of aunts and uncles scattered about the city and the Schaumburg area. I also have a dream of ending up on the east coast in NY or Mass., but I know it's brutal competition out there. Not that Chicago is a walk in the park either, but I'm figuring that the schools I've been accepted to with the exception of BC are more Chicago oriented than anything else.

-Your general career goals
Comfortable employment. Biglaw is nice, but not necessary.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers

163/3.5

-How many times you have taken the LSAT
Twice, got 163 both times.

Have you considered retaking in June?

star fox

Postby star fox » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Last year ND sent me scholarship info with my acceptance letter. I don't know if they changed things up or not.

While it's a bit concerning that your score stayed the same on a retake. I think you should sit this cycle out and use your third crack at the LSAT. Figure out what's making your score plateau and use the tools on the LSAT forum. Probably just need to change up the way you study/focus more on your weak points. You have plenty of time to take it in June or possibly even October if you find yourself struggling.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:26 pm

I know traditional advice is to retake. Unfortunately I'm taking a buttload of credits this semester and I am on a very competitive mock trial team. I'm thinking what I'll do is once mock trial ends (around spring break), I'll start studying up again with that freed up time. That time should amount to about 15 hours a week, on average. If I do better, that's a bridge we'll cross when we come to it.

That being said, assuming factors remain the same, what's your two cents?

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:30 pm

In all seriousness, retaking is your best option. Not just TLSing you here.

That said, if I were you, I would see how this cycle plays out, negotiate as much as possible, and put deposits down with your best option. Of the ones you've heard back from so far, UIUC for around 70k is your best option. Don't bother with Wake, and Iowa is also a dubious proposition for Chicago area from my limited knowledge. You acknowledged that it's early, so wait and see about ND and WUSTL. BC can stay for negotiation, but I can't see them ever becoming the best choice over UIUC/ND/WUSTL for you.

But here's the kicker: study smarter and/or harder for the upcoming June LSAT while this is all developing. If you bump it to 165+, ask your current deposit school for more $$$. If they refuse, withdraw and reapply to appropriate schools, even if it's just the same few. If you hit 165 you'll be at ND's 75th, and if you hit 166 you'll be at WUSTL's median. these are important thresholds.

The real money will be 4-6 points higher than your current score though, so you're really gonna have to work smart and hard if you wanna retake. See the resources on here for more thorough LSAT guidance.

Good luck!

Edit: you alluded to this plan right before I did. Nice.

And my 2 cents for now is UIUC.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 pm

With that number, I cannot see ND or WUSTL coming at you aggressively with money. Try negotiating and see if any of them would give in a little more. But I would say your best bet is UIUC (for Chicago).

furrrman

Postby furrrman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:51 pm

If you really want Chicago Northwestern seems like the obvious choice for you. Your 3.5 is sufficient so long as you can crack 170. Maybe you will even get in ED and have free tuition.

isuperserial wrote: That time should amount to about 15 hours a week, on average.

This comment is a little disconcerting. Did you get your 163 studying 15 hours a week? You should be studying 40 hours a week if you really want to do well.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:59 pm

furrrman wrote:If you really want Chicago Northwestern seems like the obvious choice for you. Your 3.5 is sufficient so long as you can crack 170. Maybe you will even get in ED and have free tuition.

isuperserial wrote: That time should amount to about 15 hours a week, on average.

This comment is a little disconcerting. Did you get your 163 studying 15 hours a week? You should be studying 40 hours a week if you really want to do well.

Originally when I studied I was doing about 40 hours. Now school is in session though, and my schedule simply won't allow that :/ I can probably push it to 25, but I also want to make sure my grades don't slip.

KatyMarie

Postby KatyMarie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:01 pm

furrrman wrote:If you really want Chicago Northwestern seems like the obvious choice for you. Your 3.5 is sufficient so long as you can crack 170. Maybe you will even get in ED and have free tuition.

How are you supposed to dedicate 40 hours a week to studying for the LSAT unless you're unemployed? I was exhausted working 40-50 hour weeks and studying 20-25 hours a week.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 pm

KatyMarie wrote:

How are you supposed to dedicate 40 hours a week to studying for the LSAT unless you're unemployed? I was exhausted working 40-50 hour weeks and studying 20-25 hours a week.

People do it. I should do it. FUCK. I'm gonna do it.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:58 pm

isuperserial wrote:People do it. I should do it. FUCK. I'm gonna do it.

Good choice. Either do the June LSAT or take a year off and take the summer after you graduate to take the October test. Northwestern seems like a much better fit for you and it's definitely within reach with a strong retake. Don't let a busy schedule in one semester hamper your life goals.

furrrman

Postby furrrman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:01 pm

KatyMarie wrote:

I was working roughly 40 hours a week and studying roughly 40 hours a week for the LSAT. Yes, its exhausting, and you have to be prepared to not have a life, but its doable.

I'm sure a case can be made for studying less, and maybe thats fine for some people, but I think either way we can agree 15 hours a week is not sufficient.

furrrman

Postby furrrman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Best of luck man :)

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:34 pm

jingosaur wrote:

Good choice. Either do the June LSAT or take a year off and take the summer after you graduate to take the October test. Northwestern seems like a much better fit for you and it's definitely within reach with a strong retake. Don't let a busy schedule in one semester hamper your life goals.

I'll wait and see how I'm doing on PTs come late May and make my decision then. I don't want to blow my last attempt on a half-assed June. There's no retaking after my third try, at least not for a while.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”