Is Cardozo Really That Bad? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Yanky91

Bronze

Is Cardozo Really That Bad?

Post by Yanky91 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Here is a little bit about myself: I got a full ride to Cardozo, and I have family and friends in NYC. My brother went there and did very well (I know that's anecdotal). I took the LSAT twice. The first time I didn't put that much effort into it, and the second time I busted my ass. I do not know if I could score higher, and so I do not know if retaking it would put me in a better position (I feel like I plateaued). I wouldn't mind going to school in NYC, but living there is another story. Here are my questions:

Is Cardozo really that bad? I read other threads on this site that just say awful things about Cardozo (i.e. going there will be a huge mistake, jobs that pay 50k in NYC, top 10% who are unemployed, etc.) I know five people who went there and all five have amazing jobs (I know anecdotal again). I do not know anyone who went there that is struggling (I know anecdotal again).
Does a full ride make a difference? Is there any way to live in or around NYC and not end up with a ton of debt? Anyway, thanks again.
Last edited by Yanky91 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Is Cardozo Really That Bad?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Take a look at the non-anecdotal data. It isn't pretty. Only 12% of grads got biglaw jobs or federal clerkships, the only outcomes we can be sure are good. A huge portion of the class is either unemployed or working in a short term school funded job. Far too many others are in firms of 2-10 lawyers or working in "business and industry," which too often is code for "not working as a lawyer."

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cardozo&show=ABA

Can you find a way to live with family? If so, you could graduate from Cardozo without much debt. That way, when you end up in a non-legal job or in a low-paying legal one, as most Cardozo grads do, you won't have major financial problems. But if you have to debt-finance the full cost of living I don't know that Cardozo is defensible even with a full ride.

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Take a look at the non-anecdotal data. It isn't pretty. Only 12% of grads got biglaw jobs or federal clerkships, the only outcomes we can be sure are good. A huge portion of the class is either unemployed or working in a short term school funded job. Far too many others are in firms of 2-10 lawyers or working in "business and industry," which too often is code for "not working as a lawyer."

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cardozo&show=ABA

Can you find a way to live with family? If so, you could graduate from Cardozo without much debt. That way, when you end up in a non-legal job or in a low-paying legal one, as most Cardozo grads do, you won't have major financial problems. But if you have to debt-finance the full cost of living I don't know that Cardozo is defensible even with a full ride.
Thanks, I don't think I can live with family (no space). I would have to finance my living by taking on debt.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:15 pm

Fordham's a better option than Cardozo if you can get in there or have gotten accepted (although you'd need a big scholarship there to probably justify it).

Yanky91

Bronze

Post by Yanky91 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Otunga wrote:Fordham's a better option than Cardozo if you can get in there or have gotten accepted (although you'd need a big scholarship there to probably justify it).
I didn't apply. Stupid I know :(. Is it too late you think? Besides I would only go there if I got close to a full scholarship, which seems unlikely. They are not generous when it comes to scholarships.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:54 pm

I know several Dozo grads with the 50K jobs who work in law and non-law. They would not do it again. That is a real possibility out of the school and if you don't think you'd be happy doing that even with no debt you should rethink or retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”