Is Cardozo Really That Bad?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Yanky91

Is Cardozo Really That Bad?

Postby Yanky91 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Here is a little bit about myself: I got a full ride to Cardozo, and I have family and friends in NYC. My brother went there and did very well (I know that's anecdotal). I took the LSAT twice. The first time I didn't put that much effort into it, and the second time I busted my ass. I do not know if I could score higher, and so I do not know if retaking it would put me in a better position (I feel like I plateaued). I wouldn't mind going to school in NYC, but living there is another story. Here are my questions:

Is Cardozo really that bad? I read other threads on this site that just say awful things about Cardozo (i.e. going there will be a huge mistake, jobs that pay 50k in NYC, top 10% who are unemployed, etc.) I know five people who went there and all five have amazing jobs (I know anecdotal again). I do not know anyone who went there that is struggling (I know anecdotal again).
Does a full ride make a difference? Is there any way to live in or around NYC and not end up with a ton of debt? Anyway, thanks again.
Last edited by Yanky91 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Re: Is Cardozo Really That Bad?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:24 pm

Take a look at the non-anecdotal data. It isn't pretty. Only 12% of grads got biglaw jobs or federal clerkships, the only outcomes we can be sure are good. A huge portion of the class is either unemployed or working in a short term school funded job. Far too many others are in firms of 2-10 lawyers or working in "business and industry," which too often is code for "not working as a lawyer."

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cardozo&show=ABA

Can you find a way to live with family? If so, you could graduate from Cardozo without much debt. That way, when you end up in a non-legal job or in a low-paying legal one, as most Cardozo grads do, you won't have major financial problems. But if you have to debt-finance the full cost of living I don't know that Cardozo is defensible even with a full ride.

Yanky91

Postby Yanky91 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Take a look at the non-anecdotal data. It isn't pretty. Only 12% of grads got biglaw jobs or federal clerkships, the only outcomes we can be sure are good. A huge portion of the class is either unemployed or working in a short term school funded job. Far too many others are in firms of 2-10 lawyers or working in "business and industry," which too often is code for "not working as a lawyer."

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cardozo&show=ABA

Can you find a way to live with family? If so, you could graduate from Cardozo without much debt. That way, when you end up in a non-legal job or in a low-paying legal one, as most Cardozo grads do, you won't have major financial problems. But if you have to debt-finance the full cost of living I don't know that Cardozo is defensible even with a full ride.

Thanks, I don't think I can live with family (no space). I would have to finance my living by taking on debt.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:15 pm

Fordham's a better option than Cardozo if you can get in there or have gotten accepted (although you'd need a big scholarship there to probably justify it).

Yanky91

Postby Yanky91 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Otunga wrote:Fordham's a better option than Cardozo if you can get in there or have gotten accepted (although you'd need a big scholarship there to probably justify it).

I didn't apply. Stupid I know :(. Is it too late you think? Besides I would only go there if I got close to a full scholarship, which seems unlikely. They are not generous when it comes to scholarships.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:54 pm

I know several Dozo grads with the 50K jobs who work in law and non-law. They would not do it again. That is a real possibility out of the school and if you don't think you'd be happy doing that even with no debt you should rethink or retake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”