IP-Focused: Columbia vs. GW w/ $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
3iggam

IP-Focused: Columbia vs. GW w/ $$

Postby 3iggam » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:19 pm

-Currently admitted into Columbia (haven't heard back about $$ yet), GW (60k), Santa Clara (90k) (Hey, I was just applying to all of the top 5 IP law schools)

-Waiting for Stanford & Berkeley (Will definitely attend if I get into either of those two, regardless of $$)

-Have savings, family will support, will do loans as needed

-Goal is to practice IP in Silicon Valley. I think I have enough ties - BF, currently work in the area so know a lot of people who work in tech in SF/Bay Area

-General background: BS in Bioengineering at UCLA. Working in consulting (~80k/year) but have been wanting to do IP since UG (consulting was just a gig to up my softs and get some more experience). 2 years since UG in the Bay Area as permanent residence but travels occasionally for work (9 months in Sac, 10 months in Mt View, currently in DC)

-171/3.64 (2 takes)

So the question is: Should I take GW with $$ over a possible Columbia at sticker? Certainly, Columbia has more weight as a T14 law school, but considering that my primary goal is IP which GW is rather known for and I'd have a decent scholly, it's a decision that I'm not sure I know enough to make.

That said, if I get Cal or SLS, I'm going there without a doubt. Sticker or not. Please admit me. please please please please please

Jchance

Re: IP-Focused: Columbia vs. GW w/ $$

Postby Jchance » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:23 pm

SLS>BLS>Columbia.
I'd do Columbia at Sticker if I was you, unless GW increases its money. Please dont consider Santa Clara.
GW has a lot of IP opportunities but Columbia gives you the brand-recognition.

Also, there is a lot of hefty outside IP scholarship out there, I attended sticker throughout, but got an outside 10K/each year scholly for 2L and 3L (definitely helped with the transfer situation).

3iggam

Postby 3iggam » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Jchance wrote:SLS>BLS>Columbia.
I'd do Columbia at Sticker if I was you, unless GW increases its money. Please dont consider Santa Clara.

Also, there is a lot of hefty outside IP scholarship out there, I attended sticker throughout, but got an outside 10K/each year scholly for 2L and 3L (definitely helped with the transfer situation).

Thanks. TBH, I personally feel that CLS > GW, but I just need to make sure I have the justification needed to tell my parents/my boyfriend why I'm choosing the higher COL and sticker price of CLS over GW.

So far, I've primarily come up with

CLS Pros:
-Better brand
-Better employment placement
-Better network opportunities
-Better location (NY > DC pls)
-Higher likelihood to place back into CA

GW Pros:
-$$
-IP brand is more well known
-Lower COL

At this point, I'm wondering if there's anything I missed that would make GW a better option.

Jchance

Postby Jchance » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:44 pm

3iggam wrote:
Jchance wrote:SLS>BLS>Columbia.

Thanks. TBH, I personally feel that CLS > GW, but I just need to make sure I have the justification needed to tell my parents/my boyfriend why I'm choosing the higher COL and sticker price of CLS over GW.

So far, I've primarily come up with

CLS Pros:
-Better brand
-Better employment placement
-Better network opportunities
-Better location (NY > DC pls)
-Higher likelihood to place back into CA

GW Pros:
-$$
-IP brand is more well known
-Lower COL

At this point, I'm wondering if there's anything I missed that would make GW a better option.

Add national-reach to CLS, not just CA. U never know where u'd end up in 3-4 years. Heck, u might even be interested in clerkships.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:58 pm

There are plenty of things that go into CLS's "IP brand" (the biggest being that it places much better into biglaw). But you're not going to have a different experience. There's a Sci-Tech club, Sci-Tech journal, half a dozen IP profs I can think of off the top of my head, and more than enough IP related courses to fill out two years. You can also work at an IP boutique during the year and earn money to offset the cost, there are a lot of smaller patent firms in NYC that pay close to market (a friend I know who did this ended up making like 40K on top of his 60K in SA money).

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:25 pm

I think one of the major benefits to GW is the DC location. I mean, the Federal Circuit is walking distance from our school. We have a Dean of IP. The courts here heavily favor GW IP students for internships and many of us get them during the year. Honestly being IP at GW is pretty comfortable. I don't think there's anything except brand recognition that separates CLS from GW. We have people who regularly get IP jobs in California. I guess if you're on the fence about IP you shouldn't bank on coming here, but otherwise coming here is a good choice. FWIW among my close friends who are all IP, 100% are employed in the type of firm they want (general practice big law to small IP boutiques).

Also IP brand recognition is a real thing for GW. I don't know how it'll play out on the west coast because there's SLS and Boalt, but it's a real thing generally. Firms have IP-only schedules at GW. Every networking event I go to people mention how amazing our IP program is. Among east coast schools, GW is still a giant in the IP world. Plus if you do well here, there are important people in the very small IP world who are willing to pull strings. And, ultimately, that's the biggest reason why I think being here for IP is the best. Your professors are literally on the cutting edge of the IP world and being in DC is no accident.

siddhishah

Postby siddhishah » Mon May 18, 2015 3:48 pm

I have similar concern. I have BS/BSE/MS in Computer science and Engineering. I got into Santa clara Law/ GW Law and local school Arizona state law. I am kind of scared to rent out house, leave my job,etc to move to bay area or DC. Do you think if I did law from Arizona state, I will not have many job options? If I have to move out, do you suggest GW or Santa Clara?

konoha

Postby konoha » Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Most people who practice patent prosecution, from what I have seen, graduated from lower-tiered schools. If you attend GW, you might as well work as a patent examiner and have the PTO pay for law school.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri May 22, 2015 2:32 pm

What is all this talk of "brand" and "IP brand"

If you want to work in the private sector at a large firm, columbia et al is miles away from george washington. GW might have more of a reputation for IP compared to its peers, but no one would tell you in good conscience that it's in the running against T6 for employment.

If you had a full ride from school like GW and would incur $300k in debt at CLS, that's a different conversation, but OP's family will pay

The real question here for me would be whether you should leave your consulting job for law school, period. You could go the mba route and do IP transactions that way too, just not at a law firm as an attorney.

L’Étranger

Postby L’Étranger » Fri May 22, 2015 3:24 pm

When I was a 0L I thought like this too. In the sense that I thought some schools had a reputation for IP. This is not true. The only thing that will give you an edge for your career goals is going to the school with the best job placement in the region you want to work in.

That is hands down Columbia here.

Even if GW gave you a fully (which they did not), I'd still say that by far, based on job prospects, the choice is Columbia.

Couple of other points, B and S are probably unlikely given your GPA. Your background by itself is likely not going to open doors for patent prosecution, but if you go to C you should be good to go for lit.

Best of luck.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”