UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Chriz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:38 pm

I am pretty sure that I am going to be attending UW but I just wanted to get other people's opinions based off of my options. 168/3.4

I am going to be using loans to pay for my COA and the COA of each of the school with current scholarships is as follows:

UW = Approximately $74,000 + interest (negotiating scholarship based on other offers)

Iowa = Approximately $56,000 + interest (full scholarship)

WUSTL = Approximately $180,000 + Interest (negotiating scholarship based on other offers)

ND = Approximately $200,000 + interest (Scholarship pending)

MN = Approximately $83,000 + interest

I am from Wisconsin and would prefer to work in Wisconsin but would consider working in the Midwest if other schools were a better option for me.

User avatar
yeslekkkk
Posts: 319
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby yeslekkkk » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:42 pm

Chriz wrote:I am pretty sure that I am going to be attending UW but I just wanted to get other people's opinions based off of my options. 168/3.4

I am going to be using loans to pay for my COA and the COA of each of the school with current scholarships is as follows:

UW = Approximately $74,000 + interest (negotiating scholarship based on other offers)

Iowa = Approximately $56,000 + interest (full scholarship)

WUSTL = Approximately $180,000 + Interest (negotiating scholarship based on other offers)

ND = Approximately $200,000 + interest (Scholarship pending)

MN = Approximately $83,000 + interest

I am from Wisconsin and would prefer to work in Wisconsin but would consider working in the Midwest if other schools were a better option for me.


UW!

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 pm

Id go to Madison if I were you

Youre from there. You wanna be there. Prospects and price are comparable to the other big 10 schools.

User avatar
Winston1984
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Winston1984 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Come back when the offers are finalized.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:39 pm

With a 168, I'm surprised Northwestern is not on the list. You will probably have a full ride if not close to one from UW, so go to UW, and you dont even have to take the bar.

User avatar
LET'S GET IT
Posts: 1306
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:10 pm

Strictly from the list I think UM is the easy winner since you want to work in Wisconsin and the COA isn't terrible. However the others that have suggested you consider Madison and Northwestern have valid points as well. Also I think Iowa places decently in that area but don't quote me on this.

User avatar
Jaeger
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:19 am

Wisconsin should be a shoo-in since if you attend there, you don't have to pass the bar.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:59 am

Wisconsin, and it's not close.

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Chriz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:04 pm

kyle010723 wrote:With a 168, I'm surprised Northwestern is not on the list. You will probably have a full ride if not close to one from UW, so go to UW, and you dont even have to take the bar.



On Hold at Northwestern.

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Chriz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Also waitlisted at UVA and no word at all from Michigan so probably not getting in there either. I am almost hoping I don't get into any of the T14 so I don't have to make the choice between going to UW for cheap or a much better school for A LOT more money.

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Chriz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:39 pm

I decided to attend wisconsin. I hope I made the right choice.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Good luck man

workaholic82
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby workaholic82 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Chriz wrote:I decided to attend wisconsin. I hope I made the right choice.

Seems like a good choice. Did you get more money from elsewhere since your first post?

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Chriz » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 pm

workaholic82 wrote:
Chriz wrote:I decided to attend wisconsin. I hope I made the right choice.

Seems like a good choice. Did you get more money from elsewhere since your first post?


I got more from Wisconsin but that was it. I almost have full tuition.

workaholic82
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby workaholic82 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Chriz wrote:
workaholic82 wrote:
Chriz wrote:I decided to attend wisconsin. I hope I made the right choice.

Seems like a good choice. Did you get more money from elsewhere since your first post?


I got more from Wisconsin but that was it. I almost have full tuition.

To me that's the best choice given your local aspirations. Congrats and gl!

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Madison hands down. Hard to beat the QOL and low COL. Would absolutely not borrow 180k plus interest for WUSTL (am WUSTL student with decent grades)

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Chriz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 pm

cusenation wrote:Madison hands down. Hard to beat the QOL and low COL. Would absolutely not borrow 180k plus interest for WUSTL (am WUSTL student with decent grades)


I couldn't get them to budge on scholarship either. They must have a good class forming this year or something.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Informative » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:55 pm

These schools don't place extraordinarily well in Biglaw. ND is probably the best if that is what you are interested in.

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0506145148

None of the midwestern schools in the 14-25 range place great compared to their coastal peers (UCLA/USC, BC/BU), but this is probably due to the lack of large firm positions in the midwest. So if you're deadset on the midwest, these are probably your best options outside of the midwestern T14.

User avatar
CoffeeIsLife
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:25 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:58 pm

Informative wrote:These schools don't place extraordinarily well in Biglaw. ND is probably the best if that is what you are interested in.

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0506145148

None of the midwestern schools in the 14-25 range place great compared to their coastal peers (UCLA/USC, BC/BU), but this is probably due to the lack of large firm positions in the midwest. So if you're deadset on the midwest, these are probably your best options outside of the midwestern T14.


OP actually said they wanted to work in WI but would work Midwest if it led to better options. I think Wisconsin was the right choice for him/her

Chriz
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:33 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Chriz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Informative wrote:These schools don't place extraordinarily well in Biglaw. ND is probably the best if that is what you are interested in.

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0506145148

None of the midwestern schools in the 14-25 range place great compared to their coastal peers (UCLA/USC, BC/BU), but this is probably due to the lack of large firm positions in the midwest. So if you're deadset on the midwest, these are probably your best options outside of the midwestern T14.


I don't see the point in taking on the debt for a better chance to pay the debt off. My opportunity cost here is very low as my life is going nowhere and around 14k is the most money I have made in a year in my life. If I could even wind up making 30-40k I would feel like a millionaire. Outside of the big cities wisconsin is very cheap. Worst case scenario I end up back on Ibr where I have been since I finished college 2 years ago. I can only go up.

workaholic82
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:29 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby workaholic82 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Informative wrote:These schools don't place extraordinarily well in Biglaw. ND is probably the best if that is what you are interested in.

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0506145148

None of the midwestern schools in the 14-25 range place great compared to their coastal peers (UCLA/USC, BC/BU), but this is probably due to the lack of large firm positions in the midwest. So if you're deadset on the midwest, these are probably your best options outside of the midwestern T14.

Isn't this article kind of misleading regarding biglaw? I have heard it said on tls many times there are many 'biglaw' firms not in the nlj 250. This is why the numbers in that article differ from those found on Law School Transparency.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby Informative » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:07 am

workaholic82 wrote:
Informative wrote:These schools don't place extraordinarily well in Biglaw. ND is probably the best if that is what you are interested in.

http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=12 ... 0506145148

None of the midwestern schools in the 14-25 range place great compared to their coastal peers (UCLA/USC, BC/BU), but this is probably due to the lack of large firm positions in the midwest. So if you're deadset on the midwest, these are probably your best options outside of the midwestern T14.

Isn't this article kind of misleading regarding biglaw? I have heard it said on tls many times there are many 'biglaw' firms not in the nlj 250. This is why the numbers in that article differ from those found on Law School Transparency.



There are no biglaw firms that are not in the NLJ250. There are biglaw firms that are not listed in the AMLaw 100 (ranked by numbers) or the Vault 100 (ranked by prestige) , but if a firm isn't at least in the NLJ250, which is has the widest scope of all the rankings, then the firm isn't biglaw.

User avatar
johnnyquest
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: UW vs Iowa vs WUSTL vs ND vs MN ???

Postby johnnyquest » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Informative wrote:There are no biglaw firms that are not in the NLJ250. There are biglaw firms that are not listed in the AMLaw 100 (ranked by numbers) or the Vault 100 (ranked by prestige) , but if a firm isn't at least in the NLJ250, which is has the widest scope of all the rankings, then the firm isn't biglaw.

This is wrong




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests