Fordham Stein Scholars?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
da91392

Fordham Stein Scholars?

Postby da91392 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:11 pm

I applied to Fordham early action and got in with $45k (15/yr, no stip). The reason I applied was the Stein Scholars program, which includes guaranteed employment over the summers with a 4k ad 5k stipend for your 1L and 2L years, respectively. I want to do DoJ Honors ideally (federal prosecution is the end goal, I wouldn't mind working for a prosecutor's office for a few years first). I have applied for Stein Scholars, but they do rolling admissions with most acceptances occurring in July (!!), which is way after seat deposit deadlines.

Has anyone been involved in this program? Is it worth attending Fordham if accepted in Stein Scholars? My father is paying for my law school entirely. I've also been accepted at WUSTL ($36k), Temple ($90k), and Notre Dame (scholarship letter coming in the mail). I also just interviewed for Northwestern, and still waiting on UPenn. GPA 3.85, LSAT 161.

Nelson

Re: Fordham Stein Scholars?

Postby Nelson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:30 pm

If you want a legitimate chance at DOJ or AUSA you should retake the LSAT.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Take the money and invest it before going to Fordham. You have an amazing opportunity to go to an elite law school FOR FREE. Retake for that reason.

da91392

Postby da91392 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:14 pm

I am not retaking the LSAT as I want to go straight through to law school-- I was really asking if anyone had taken advantage of teh program, and whether it would be worth it to take Fordham (lower ranked) over Notre Dame (higher ranked).

Penguin515

Postby Penguin515 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:36 pm

You have an excellent gpa that should not be wasted. Furthermore, you have access to a free legal education. Please do not squander such a wonderful opportunity for the sake of going directly to law school.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:43 pm

da91392 wrote:I am not retaking the LSAT as I want to go straight through to law school-- I was really asking if anyone had taken advantage of teh program, and whether it would be worth it to take Fordham (lower ranked) over Notre Dame (higher ranked).

Theres literally 0 benefit going straight through. Please work for a year or two (at least). I almost went straight through and instead, I worked for 3 yrs and employers are much more responsive now. They just like knowing youre a normal person who has worked with other people. It's worth taking the time off to get a solid resume.

BTW, I realize the economy is tough to get a job.. but if you can get anything substantial at all, its worth it.

da91392

Postby da91392 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:53 pm

AlanShore wrote:
BTW, I realize the economy is tough to get a job.. but if you can get anything substantial at all, its worth it.

I'm triple majoring in English, Philosophy, and Classics. It doesn't look too promising as far as employment goes

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:54 pm

da91392 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:

I'm triple majoring in English, Philosophy, and Classics. It doesn't look too promising as far as employment goes

I was a sociology major. I got a job in financial services. You have a great gpa - you can get something.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:05 pm

da91392 wrote:I'm triple majoring in English, Philosophy, and Classics. It doesn't look too promising as far as employment goes

Just wait til you graduate from either of these law schools. It'll look worse.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 pm

AlanShore wrote:
da91392 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:

I was a sociology major. I got a job in financial services. You have a great gpa - you can get something.

This. A lot of financial services stuff does not care about major, just GPA. Sure, you're not going to get ibanking or a research job (right away, possible down the road), but there are plenty of $40k-$50k jobs available to people with good GPA's in financial services.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:06 pm

You would be a damn fool to go straight through without retaking.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”