Stetson vs. miami Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ap12345

New

Stetson vs. miami

Post by Ap12345 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:21 pm

I was put on a wait list for Miami and was told they would reevaluate my application at the end of April. I was immediately accepted into Stetson. I honestly didn't think I would be admitted to Miami so I made up my mind to go to Stetson. However, today I received my acceptance letter from Miami. I do not like the city of Miami at all and I can't even imagine living there and I am from am currently live in the tampa area and am very willing to move to Gulfport.

I currently work at a very successful law firm of mostly Stetson graduates and I feel that I could have internship opportunities with my firm and maybe possible employment after graduation. I don't really want to practice their type of law but I think they would probably be willing to provide recommendations and make some phone calls for me. The Stetson community is very close and people are willing to help each other out.

Although Stetson seemed like the clear choice for me, I know I have a ton to think about after being accepted to Miami. I know that miami is a better and a more well known school so I want to know if going there would be better for me. Cost is also a factor. Miami is more expensive for tuition and living but Stetson is also very expensive. I want to know if it is better to suck it up and live in Miami for a few years and get a better job or to go with my initial plan of Stetson.

PepperJack

Silver

Re: Stetson vs. miami

Post by PepperJack » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:49 pm

OP, neither one of these schools give you a very good chance at employment. I'm not sure if you're serious about the well known aspect and sucking it up for a few years. This isn't football. The Miami name isn't taking you far. It's also one of the hardest legal markets to get a job in at a large firm. Literally the top 2-3% of Miami might get something good, but even top quarter at the t-14 from Miami struggle there. I know 2 people that went to Miami Law; one is a barista and one got into programming. I don't want to seem cruel, but nobody should be going to either one of these schools. The truth is people shouldn't plan on working in South Florida regardless of where they go to law school.

Otunga

Silver

Post by Otunga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 pm

How many times have you done the LSAT OP?

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ap12345

New

Post by Ap12345 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:04 pm

I've taken the lsat once and got a 152, my gpa is 3.6. I know that fsu and uf are out of the question and I took a year off after completing my undergraduate degree so I do not have time to retake it. I feel that I have an ok chance at employment in the Tampa bay area (which is where I want to live/work) if I go to stetson because of connections, I just didn't know if going to Miami would be an overwhelmingly better decision. Doesn't seem like it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:12 pm

neither are worth anything close to the COA youll be paying

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=211248

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Ap12345 wrote:I've taken the lsat once and got a 152, my gpa is 3.6. I know that fsu and uf are out of the question and I took a year off after completing my undergraduate degree so I do not have time to retake it. I feel that I have an ok chance at employment in the Tampa bay area (which is where I want to live/work) if I go to stetson because of connections, I just didn't know if going to Miami would be an overwhelmingly better decision. Doesn't seem like it.
You always have time to retake it. Law school isn't going anywhere. With a better LSAT score, you could get into UF and FSU or better. At the very least, you could get money at Stetson and Miami. I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but you really shouldn't go to either school right now - retaking is your best bet. Don't you want more than an "ok chance at employment" if you're going to be paying six figures for your education?

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:18 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:16 pm

Dude, retake. I was in my late 20s when I started law school. Waiting another year and starting as a 24 or 25 year old is no big deal. You owe it to your gpa and your future self to retake the LSAT. Lets get you into Vanderbilt at the bare minimum.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:41 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”