Is it worth the money?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kraus1986

Is it worth the money?

Postby kraus1986 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:36 am

Hi guys, so I have relatively lackluster numbers. 2.9 GPA and 157 LSAT. I do have 3 years experience interning at a large law firm and lots of community service and other softs. So far I have been accepted to Rutgers-Newark, U Kansas, U Indiana (Indy), Creighton (a safety), and American University (the highest ranked school of all of them). I am wondering if paying 70k a year to go to American U is worth the money. I am from NJ and could go to Rutgers for 34k a year after room and board. So is going to a school (American) ranked 56 that much better than going to a school (Rutgers) ranked ~85? If you can explain your answer in a bit of detail that would be great. Also, I am very interested in politics, which was my main reason for applying to American in the first place. Thanks

I should also mention that I can afford to attend American U (no loans). However, that being said, its not worth burning money for no reason.

UnderrateOverachieve

Re: Is it worth the money?

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:43 am

kraus1986 wrote:Hi guys, so I have relatively lackluster numbers. 2.9 GPA and 157 LSAT. I do have 3 years experience interning at a large law firm and lots of community service and other softs. So far I have been accepted to Rutgers-Newark, U Kansas, U Indiana (Indy), Creighton (a safety), and American University (the highest ranked school of all of them). I am wondering if paying 70k a year to go to American U is worth the money. I am from NJ and could go to Rutgers for 34k a year after room and board. So is going to a school (American) ranked 56 that much better than going to a school (Rutgers) ranked ~85? If you can explain your answer in a bit of detail that would be great. Also, I am very interested in politics, which was my main reason for applying to American in the first place. Thanks

I should also mention that I can afford to attend American U (no loans). However, that being said, its not worth burning money for no reason.

Everyone is going to recommend retaking. And they aren't wrong.

kraus1986

Postby kraus1986 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:44 am

UnderrateOverachieve wrote:
kraus1986 wrote:Hi guys, so I have relatively lackluster numbers. 2.9 GPA and 157 LSAT. I do have 3 years experience interning at a large law firm and lots of community service and other softs. So far I have been accepted to Rutgers-Newark, U Kansas, U Indiana (Indy), Creighton (a safety), and American University (the highest ranked school of all of them). I am wondering if paying 70k a year to go to American U is worth the money. I am from NJ and could go to Rutgers for 34k a year after room and board. So is going to a school (American) ranked 56 that much better than going to a school (Rutgers) ranked ~85? If you can explain your answer in a bit of detail that would be great. Also, I am very interested in politics, which was my main reason for applying to American in the first place. Thanks

I believe its too late for that.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:47 am

kraus1986 wrote:

You are harboring a false belief. Even assuming you got decent employment (relatively) from any of those schools you would easily recoup your lost potential by taking a year off to retake even if you took a minimum wage job. I fully believe that if you cannot score above a 160 you do not deserve to go to law school. Not because because of the test ability to indicate future performance, but due to the fact that it shows you are not determined enough.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:49 am

kraus1986 wrote:

Why is it too late? You don't have to go this year.

American is one of the biggest scams out of any of the law schools. Look at LawSchoolTransparency and look at their employment numbers - it's one of the worst schools in the country when you factor in cost and employment outcomes. Rankings are virtually meaningless outside the T14. Rutgers would be a good option for you (and waaaay better than American), but not at 34k/year. The general wisdom is, outside of the top schools, if you can go to the regional school where you are from & want to practice (i.e. the flagship school) for cheap, that is a good option.

kraus1986

Postby kraus1986 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:51 am

kraus1986 wrote:

You are harboring a false belief. Even assuming you got decent employment (relatively) from any of those schools you would easily recoup your lost potential by taking a year off to retake even if you took a minimum wage job. I fully believe that if you cannot score above a 160 you do not deserve to go to law school. Not because because of the test ability to indicate future performance, but due to the fact that it shows you are not determined enough.

I meant that its too late to register to retake..

kraus1986

Postby kraus1986 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:52 am

deadpanic wrote:
kraus1986 wrote:

Why is it too late? You don't have to go this year.

American is one of the biggest scams out of any of the law schools. Look at LawSchoolTransparency and look at their employment numbers - it's one of the worst schools in the country when you factor in cost and employment outcomes. Rankings are virtually meaningless outside the T14. Rutgers would be a good option for you (and waaaay better than American), but not at 34k/year. The general wisdom is, outside of the top schools, if you can go to the regional school where you are from & want to practice (i.e. the flagship school) for cheap, that is a good option.

This is the answer i was looking for.

kraus1986

Postby kraus1986 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 am

kraus1986 wrote:

Dipshit.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:08 am

Retake. But Rutgers essentially free for a NJ resident ain't bad. Still, retake for the top schools.

UnderrateOverachieve

Postby UnderrateOverachieve » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:13 am

Dipshit.

I retract my statement. Please go to Rutgers and fill us in 2-3 years down the line.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:37 am

Ignore usnwr when choosing a law school. American has some of the worst prospects in the country. No one should attend. Especially not for 200k+ COA...

Use lst

kraus1986

Postby kraus1986 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:54 am

Nova wrote:Ignore usnwr when choosing a law school. American has some of the worst prospects in the country. No one should attend. Especially not for 200k+ COA...

Use lst

At this point i'm thinking Rutgers. Right across from NYC and only 22k a year in tuition. Also the firm I have been working at for years is based out of NJ.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:04 am

kraus1986 wrote:Dipshit.

Yes, he's the dipshit here.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:25 am

Otunga wrote:Retake. But Rutgers essentially free for a NJ resident ain't bad. Still, retake for the top schools.

I think the $34k/yr was COA not scholarship $$$. That's way too exp for RU

OP retake or don't go cause your current options are bad

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:39 am

kraus1986 wrote:
Dipshit.

He was actually giving you some solid advice. None of those schools are worth that cost, certainly not American. Maybe Rutgers is fine if you want to stay in NJ, but there's no reason to pay that much when you could sit out a year, retake the LSAT, and go for free or close to it. I also don't think American would give you any edge in "politics." Aside from the fact that you'd be geographically closer to DC, I can't see any real benefit.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:57 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Otunga wrote:Retake. But Rutgers essentially free for a NJ resident ain't bad. Still, retake for the top schools.

I think the $34k/yr was COA not scholarship $$$. That's way too exp for RU

OP retake or don't go cause your current options are bad

Then if he's taking more or less 92K in loans for Rutgers, my suggestion changes to RETAKE without qualification.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:00 pm

If you want to get into politics, go work in politics. Law school is not a backdoor into politics all by itself. You seem to be a K-JD- you need to know right now that nobody is going to hire you to work in "politics" if you're person number 1,000,001 with a law degree.

The CR is to take a year or two off, go work some crappy, low-paid staffer job in DC or Trenton, and then go to law school when you have sufficient connections and have retaken the LSAT to go to Rutgers for free.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”