.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sonofsin
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:47 am

.

Postby Sonofsin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:07 pm

.
Last edited by Sonofsin on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hitchensian
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Hitchensian » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Definitely not GU or Vandy at sticker, given the other options.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Otunga » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:44 pm

What are your goals?

Without knowing, I'd say Cornell, and even with knowing, I'd still probably say Cornell. If your goal is something like Boston biglaw, BU is an option but try to increase that scholarship through negotiation and use the Cornell acceptance as the main selling point. If you can make Cornell, you should be able to get more than a 30K scholarship, unless that is you mean 30K per year, which makes BU a contender against Cornell sticker depending on what you're after.

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Not sure how to interpret any of that.

Regardless: retake.

californiauser
Posts: 1184
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby californiauser » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Otunga wrote:What are your goals?

Without knowing, I'd say Cornell, and even with knowing, I'd still probably say Cornell. If your goal is something like Boston biglaw, BU is an option but try to increase that scholarship through negotiation and use the Cornell acceptance as the main selling point. If you can make Cornell, you should be able to get more than a 30K scholarship, unless that is you mean 30K per year, which makes BU a contender against Cornell sticker depending on what you're after.


cornell is not worth 300k

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Otunga » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:19 pm

californiauser wrote:
Otunga wrote:What are your goals?

Without knowing, I'd say Cornell, and even with knowing, I'd still probably say Cornell. If your goal is something like Boston biglaw, BU is an option but try to increase that scholarship through negotiation and use the Cornell acceptance as the main selling point. If you can make Cornell, you should be able to get more than a 30K scholarship, unless that is you mean 30K per year, which makes BU a contender against Cornell sticker depending on what you're after.


cornell is not worth 300k


I agree. I'm only assuming that the person is going to go to LS and not retake. At that point, Cornell at sticker is probably the best choice if only a 30k total scholly at BU.

Sonofsin
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:47 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Sonofsin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Otunga wrote:
californiauser wrote:
Otunga wrote:What are your goals?

Without knowing, I'd say Cornell, and even with knowing, I'd still probably say Cornell. If your goal is something like Boston biglaw, BU is an option but try to increase that scholarship through negotiation and use the Cornell acceptance as the main selling point. If you can make Cornell, you should be able to get more than a 30K scholarship, unless that is you mean 30K per year, which makes BU a contender against Cornell sticker depending on what you're after.


cornell is not worth 300k


I agree. I'm only assuming that the person is going to go to LS and not retake. At that point, Cornell at sticker is probably the best choice if only a 30k total scholly at BU.


sorry, all the scholarships I listed are for each year

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Cornell, Georgetown, and Vanderbilt released scholarship info already and said you're getting nothing?

Sonofsin
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:47 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Sonofsin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:40 pm

No, I haven't received any information about it yet from them. I'm just assuming I will not get anything based on past data. If I get any sort of money from cornell or georgetown I would undoubtedly go.

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Thread is premature, come back with actual options and helpful info that we can base advice on at a later date.

In the meantime, retake.

akg144
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:56 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby akg144 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:Thread is premature, come back with actual options and helpful info that we can base advice on at a later date.

In the meantime, retake.


This - Vandy releases scholly's in February (haven't released yet though), GULC March 1st is their official date this year, and Cornell hasn't released any info yet except those who have been invited to apply for the Dean's Scholar award - so in a nutshell give it some time and report in the middle/end of March

User avatar
hichvichwoh
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:21 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby hichvichwoh » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Sonofsin wrote:No, I haven't received any information about it yet from them. I'm just assuming I will not get anything based on past data. If I get any sort of money from cornell or georgetown I would undoubtedly go.


apps way down, who knows what'll happen

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Otunga » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:32 pm

Depending on goals OP, BU with a 90K scholarship is reasonable. If Cornell gives you a sizable scholarship though, then they're the choice.

Sonofsin
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:47 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Sonofsin » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks everyone, I'll wait until March

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:08 pm

What are your numbers? I don't understand how you can only get 40k at W&L and into Cornell.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Otunga » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:What are your numbers? I don't understand how you can only get 40k at W&L and into Cornell.


I think the listed ones are per year.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Otunga wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:What are your numbers? I don't understand how you can only get 40k at W&L and into Cornell.


I think the listed ones are per year.


I would do 120k at W&L way before sticker at Cornell.

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: W&L 40k vs BU 30k vs GWU 10k vs Cornell/GU/Vand sticker

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
Otunga wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:What are your numbers? I don't understand how you can only get 40k at W&L and into Cornell.


I think the listed ones are per year.


I would do 120k at W&L way before sticker at Cornell.


I think this analysis is as frustratingly oversimplified as the choices presented to us ITT.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests