Battle of the Washingtons!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Icecold62

Battle of the Washingtons!

Postby Icecold62 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:22 pm

I got into UW, GW and W&L.

UW=in state waiting on scholarship info

GW=10k a year scholly

W&L=30k a year scholly

My goals are open, I would like to end up in Seattle if possible and I am interested in business law (econ UG) but am I stupid to turn down GW? (I got in elsewhere but these are the top candidates. I am also waiting on others, UCLA, USC, ASU and Stanford).

stillwater

Re: Battle of the Washingtons!

Postby stillwater » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:24 pm

GW isnt going to mean shit in Washington State. Most schools are regional. Unless UW is close to free. Retake and get a better scholly or go to T14.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Icecold62 wrote:I got into UW, GW and W&L.

UW=in state waiting on scholarship info

GW=10k a year scholly

W&L=30k a year scholly

My goals are open, I would like to end up in Seattle if possible and I am interested in business law (econ UG) but am I stupid to turn down GW? (I got in elsewhere but these are the top candidates. I am also waiting on others, UCLA, USC, ASU and Stanford).

As soon as you stated your interest in working in Seattle, it made me say UW here. Unless you somehow had to pay sticker, then W & L becomes a possibility. What would you say COA is at UW supposing you worst-case had to pay in-state sticker, and what is COA at W&L? Additionally, where are your ties? Are you already from the Seattle area or Washington? If local, that makes the case for UW even better.

Icecold62

Postby Icecold62 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:35 pm

wife has a good job, I am from Seattle, living in the area.... all good things. COA at W&L... I don't even know, 13k tuitionx3 plus life..... at UW worst case right now is 29k a year tuition plus 20k for COL, but the job would negate the COL at least.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Icecold62 wrote:wife has a good job, I am from Seattle, living in the area.... all good things. COA at W&L... I don't even know, 13k tuitionx3 plus life..... at UW worst case right now is 29k a year tuition plus 20k for COL, but the job would negate the COL at least.

Lol. I asked if you were from there and I acknowledged previously that you have in-state tuition. Either way, the answer is more emphatically UW given that you're already from Seattle and should save on COA. It's not close IMO. With even a 5k per year scholarship, that's 72K total COA if negating COL expenses and adding in the scholarship.

That said, what's your highest LSAT? If the opportunity is there to retake, you should.

Icecold62

Postby Icecold62 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:43 pm

Diagnostic was 159 and my first test got me a 165. I studied for about 2 months? gpa is technically a 3.3, I doubt the LSAT is my biggest issue.

tiltedwindmill

Postby tiltedwindmill » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:06 am

Icecold62 wrote:Diagnostic was 159 and my first test got me a 165. I studied for about 2 months? gpa is technically a 3.3, I doubt the LSAT is my biggest issue.

Wait a cycle -> retake -> get big scholarship from UW or get into a few T-14s -> profit.

Icecold62

Postby Icecold62 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:54 am

tiltedwindmill wrote:
Icecold62 wrote:Diagnostic was 159 and my first test got me a 165. I studied for about 2 months? gpa is technically a 3.3, I doubt the LSAT is my biggest issue.

Wait a cycle -> retake -> get big scholarship from UW or get into a few T-14s -> profit.

Assuming I don't get a big scholly now?

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:21 am

Icecold62 wrote:
tiltedwindmill wrote:

You won't.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:22 am

scoobers wrote:
Icecold62 wrote:
tiltedwindmill wrote:

You won't.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:31 am

In state at UDub is 55K not including living expenses. I wouldn't do that for a 2/3 shot at any legal employment. I've heard the Seattle and greater PNW market is INSANELY hard to get. YHS natives compete for some of the very few SAs with big firms. Retake the LSAT.

And you're not stupid to turn down GW. You would be stupid to accept GW.

Icecold62

Postby Icecold62 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:19 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:In state at UDub is 55K not including living expenses. I wouldn't do that for a 2/3 shot at any legal employment. I've heard the Seattle and greater PNW market is INSANELY hard to get. YHS natives compete for some of the very few SAs with big firms. Retake the LSAT.

UW is 29k instate... Where did you get 55?

Icecold62

Postby Icecold62 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:22 am

scoobers wrote:
Icecold62 wrote:
tiltedwindmill wrote:

You won't.

Why not? I got large scholarships from similar and higher ranked schools. Why not something decent from UW?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 am

Icecold62 wrote:
Why not? I got large scholarships from similar and higher ranked schools. Why not something decent from UW?

From what I've read, UW is stingy as F#$%. They don't really hand out large schollies. It's like the anti-WUSTL (another Washington!).

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:31 am

Well, definitly don't pay 40k/yr tuition for gw. That's 200k+ COA including interest. That would prolly ruin your life financially.

Since you only studied 2 months for your 165, retake in June is tcr

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:47 am

Do some networking. Hear opinions from Seattle-area professionals, if that's where you want to end up. I lived in Seattle over the summer and spoke to a bunch of attorneys (mostly personal injury, which isn't what I want, but I digress), and learned a LOT about how one goes about breaking into the Seattle market. You can PM me if you want more details.

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:09 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
Icecold62 wrote:

From what I've read, UW is stingy as F#$%. They don't really hand out large schollies. It's like the anti-WUSTL (another Washington!).

UW is stingy. There is SOME evidence that this might change, but I actually think that it is not likely to happen until next year. http://www.law.washington.edu/macdonaldgift/

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:46 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:In state at UDub is 55K not including living expenses. I wouldn't do that for a 2/3 shot at any legal employment. I've heard the Seattle and greater PNW market is INSANELY hard to get. YHS natives compete for some of the very few SAs with big firms. Retake the LSAT.

He should probably retake but if COA is 72k or around there (given a small 15k total scholarship and COL covered by wife), and he's not biglaw or bust, then UW is a plausible move.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:34 am

Retake

mist4bison

Postby mist4bison » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:01 pm

Last edited by mist4bison on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:12 pm

mist4bison wrote:If your ultimate goal is Seattle, you'll be much better off going to a Washington school. Or at least a CA school. From what I know, even SU would be better than GW in the Seattle job market. I'd wait to see what kind of $$$ you get from UW. Or retake.

However, do know that the Seattle legal market is super difficult to get into. I know a number of attorneys that graduated t14, SU, and UW that work at the AG office and make $50k. Most people I know making any kind of decent money in Seattle went to WA schools.

Also, GO DAWGS!!! :mrgreen:

When you say a CA school, you're talking about Stanford, right?

Icecold62

Postby Icecold62 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:10 pm

Well I feel that as I am not big law or bust, waiting to see the $$ is my obvious first step, then if it is good enough, it seems like a good call at UW. I know retake is the popular option, but aside from not wanting to I have doubts on my ability to improve. Add in the cost of waiting another year and it makes an extra... say 20k a year into a loss as I just missed out on a year of actual wages. Opportunity cost slaps me in the face.
Finally, on this page we tend to speak of averages and medians. They are the best estimates we can come by, true. But frankly if you are aiming for median then this is the wrong field anyways. That's my thought process at least.

Icecold62

Postby Icecold62 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Also, lots of good points, thanks for helping me talk myself out of GW

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:32 pm

i think a retake and t14 with local ties to Seattle would probably be the best bet.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Icecold62 wrote:Well I feel that as I am not big law or bust, waiting to see the $$ is my obvious first step, then if it is good enough, it seems like a good call at UW. I know retake is the popular option, but aside from not wanting to I have doubts on my ability to improve. Add in the cost of waiting another year and it makes an extra... say 20k a year into a loss as I just missed out on a year of actual wages. Opportunity cost slaps me in the face.
Finally, on this page we tend to speak of averages and medians. They are the best estimates we can come by, true. But frankly if you are aiming for median then this is the wrong field anyways. That's my thought process at least.

0L. Similar GPA and I can sympathize with the feeling retaking. If you had a 3.6+ it seems like a no brainer, but with that 3.3, you feel like you're already not competitive. I think a thread for low GPA retake wisdom would be interesting. As HYSCCN are basically out for low GPA nonURM, a retake might get you lower t14 sticker(ish) or extra scholly at regional (amount would vary widely depending on regional).

I'm not saying retake is not the best option. In your case, it 99% is because you only studied 2 months. But, I would research UW's scholarship distribution. Find out what you would need, see if it is realistically attainable, determine how much that would save you off COA, compare that to the opportunity cost and make the decision that way. You obviously also have to factor in what you are doing now, whether that will allow you to study hard enough, etc.

FWIW, with my similar GPA, I'm outperforming my #s this cycle (in terms of scholarships). So, I'm going to wait to see if I get a t14 nod (unlikely), and then see where $$ ends up at my strong regionals. While I'm doing this, I'm going to rediagnose my LSAT next weekend (been 2 years since my last test), see what I realistically think I could get with a retake. In April, when I'm sitting on final offers, I'll then decide whether I'll go this cycle. If not, I'm going to have to switch jobs to an hourly position to give me the time to study. (Not anywhere near ideal, will cost me ~15k). I'll then have to weigh this against extra $$ or the chance at a t14 my projected LSAT retake will give me. It's a complicated decision.

My point in all this is retake is TCR. Retaking is hugely valuable, and people are helping you when they share this. But, the nuance behind the decision is important to consider.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”