Michigan($$) vs. Harvard(sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan($30,000/year) vs. Harvard

Michigan ($30,000 per year)
20%
Harvard (full price)
80%

Total votes: 161

jingosaur

Re: Michigan($$) vs. Harvard(sticker)

Postby jingosaur » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:50 am

My understanding is that HLS makes it easier to get into smaller, more competitive markets where Michigan is really only strong in the major markets and Michigan.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:12 pm

jingosaur wrote:My understanding is that HLS makes it easier to get into smaller, more competitive markets where Michigan is really only strong in the major markets and Michigan.

Harvard can't create jobs where there are none or where the locals see you as a flight risk because you don't have ties. For example, Harvard has more national reach than almost all other schools, but it may not get you a job somewhere in the south that focuses on ties if you have none. What Harvard does is potentially give you access (at least in terms of getting a screening interview) to more jobs than most other schools will.

ColbyBryant

Postby ColbyBryant » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks for all of the input, TLS. Still cranking our minds about this decision, will figure it out over the next few weeks.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 am

Still cranking our minds about this decision, will figure it out over the next few weeks.

negotiating scholarships takes time. Wait for the other offers to come in.

ColbyBryant

Postby ColbyBryant » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Big Dog wrote:negotiating scholarships takes time. Wait for the other offers to come in.

Thanks for your reply. There aren't really any more offers coming in, unfortunately. Theoretically I can try to get Michigan to increase their award again in July or so with the H acceptance, but it almost seems rude.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:48 pm

ColbyBryant wrote:
Big Dog wrote:negotiating scholarships takes time. Wait for the other offers to come in.

Thanks for your reply. There aren't really any more offers coming in, unfortunately. Theoretically I can try to get Michigan to increase their award again in July or so with the H acceptance, but it almost seems rude.

Not a good enough reason not to ask.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:54 pm

cotiger wrote:
ColbyBryant wrote:

Agreed.

ColbyBryant

Postby ColbyBryant » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:55 pm

cotiger wrote:
ColbyBryant wrote:

Fair enough, I will probably ask, and be embarrassed about it for a few weeks and get over it.

My non-traditional status and borderline numbers = continuing cascade of rejections/WL from other great schools... will make it tough to negotiate using higher ranked $$.

I am lucky to have these great options to choose from.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Fair enough, I will probably ask, and be embarrassed about it for a few weeks and get over it.

With that level of negotiating skill, not sure I'd ever want you to represent me. :)

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Big Dog wrote:

With that level of negotiating skill, not sure I'd ever want you to represent me. :)

Forget embarrassing. You've got nothing to lose. Hell i'd be happy even if they gave me 5k more (if I were already planning to go to Mich)

ColbyBryant

Postby ColbyBryant » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Hello again dear TLS friends.

Thank you all for your guidance since I made this thread a few weeks ago. TLS introduced us to accurate cost of attendance calculators, accurate employment information over at LST, and a much better understanding of the public interest market. I went from observing this site and laughing at people who ask questions to strangers, to actively contributing to the site and reading it every day! So again, thank you thank you thank you.

Our decision has been complicated, and I have gone far beyond the normal 0L cost of attendance calculations :).

--We calculated my husbands likely discretionary income for the next 3 years given the growth of his business (one poster was absolutely correct about him turning money back over into his business, thus making us ineligible for HLS grants, ineligible for LIPP, and without enough money to cover any tuition).
--I called friends and family who live in Ann Arbor, and friends who live in Cambridge/Boston area. I "shopped" for apartments in each area, got information about grocery costs, likely utility costs, transportation costs, EVERYTHING. We even factored in the cost of flying back to see our parents during holidays from each airport. Shit got real. If trying to live as frugally as possible, Cambridge is INSANELY MORE EXPENSIVE than Ann Arbor/Ypsilante. Of note...we happen to love Ann Arbor, but it is not for everyone.
--Used Lawschool22's new COA calculators as well, so shoutout to whoever that is.

We determined that in Ann Arbor, my husband can EASILY contribute additional money to tuition while still covering cost of living. I will graduate from Michigan with about 30-40k of debt. I currently have about 30k in my retirement fund, so I can convince myself that I have "net" zero debt :). We also determined that I am 100% ineligible for aid from H.

I also came to the realization that I will probably go into big law if I go to Harvard, which I do not want to do. As NYstate pointed out... NY is not an option. Also, Big law sounds terrible. And PSLF be damned, I am not the kind of person that can let a 250k debt gorilla hang on the backs of my family even for "ONLY" 10 years (this "only" 10 years is advice coming from mostly single 21 year olds...which many be true for them, but I'll almost be a grandma by then :lol: :lol: ).

(Edit: to add- If I spent the first 4 years after graduating volunteering with my favorite legal aid office, I would be in a better financial situation than having gone to H and working 4 years of big law.)

My goals may be lofty, but all things considered I will bet on myself before betting on Harvard. We will negotiate with Michigan, but even if the offer stands, that is where I will be going in the fall.

Thanks for all of the input everybody.
Last edited by ColbyBryant on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:30 pm

You made the better choice IMO. 30/40k in the hole from Michigan is a great deal, particularly for someone who isn't all about getting biglaw out of LS.

ColbyBryant

Postby ColbyBryant » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:17 pm

Otunga wrote:You made the better choice IMO. 30/40k in the hole from Michigan is a great deal, particularly for someone who isn't all about getting biglaw out of LS.

Haha thanks for the bode of confidence. Since I have already made the decision, might as well give me positive feedback :mrgreen:

JWalker

Postby JWalker » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 am

jingosaur wrote:My understanding is that HLS makes it easier to get into smaller, more competitive markets where Michigan is really only strong in the major markets and Michigan.

Dat Ypsilanti big law.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”