Just go? Downside to retaking again?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Retake3X

Just go? Downside to retaking again?

Postby Retake3X » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 am

Last edited by Retake3X on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheodoreKGB

Re: Just go? Downside to retaking again?

Postby TheodoreKGB » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:35 am

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:53 am

Retake3X wrote: I’m assuming the best option at that point would be to take a year off and reapply next year with my higher score, correct?

Correct.

Postby 03152016 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:02 am

This is worth a read: http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Taking the LSAT a Third Time

After retaking the LSAT once, you’re still not happy with your score. It could be because you got the same or (god forbid) lower score than your first time, because you still haven’t hit your initial target score, or because your expectations adjusted upwards after all that studying you did for your second LSAT. A lot of the same considerations go into retaking the LSAT a second time and a first time, but one has to make sure they’re being honest with themselves when considering using your third chance. Did you study as hard as you possibly could, are you sure your practice tests are simulating real test conditions, are you letting your nerves get the best of you when it’s game time, etc. are all questions you need to be asking yourself. There is a lot more risk involved in taking the LSAT a third time as you don’t have another chance to take it after that and many schools will look on a third LSAT score unfavorably if it’s not a significant improvement over your previous two scores.

That being said, all things being equal, anecdotal evidence suggests that the potential positive aspects of going up a few points on a retake greatly outweigh the negative repercussions that one might experience from dropping a couple points. So if you feel reasonably confident that you can boost your score over your highest score thus far, go ahead and retake one last time. If you’re worried about your retake having a negative impact on your admissions decisions, one tactic that has become increasingly popular is to take the June LSAT of the year you are enrolling in law school and using that score to negotiate for scholarship money and to get off waitlists. As there are no cases on record of schools withdrawing offers from students for sitting for the LSAT after being admitted, this removes the risk from the idea while still providing much of the benefit.

Since you were PTing in the high 160s/low 170s, I'd undoubtedly retake. Assuming my score was significantly higher, I'd probably wait until the next cycle and reapply unless I got a superb offer.

tiltedwindmill

Postby tiltedwindmill » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:48 am

Retake

Retake3X

Postby Retake3X » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:40 am

Last edited by Retake3X on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:15 am

Last edited by Optimist Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retake3X

Postby Retake3X » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:25 am

Optimist Prime wrote:Your June retake won't even get reported to the school you deposit at unless you choose to release it. There's absolutely no downside and the possibility of huge rewards. Good luck!

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. So, regardless of what my score is, they won't know unless I decide to let them?
Thanks for the advice!

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:38 am

Definitely retake. I went up 11 pts on my 3rd try. So worth it.

Also, in case you don't sit out this cycle, the 3rd score could be valuable if you want to transfer.

Retake3X

Postby Retake3X » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:58 pm

mes10d wrote:Definitely retake. I went up 11 pts on my 3rd try. So worth it.

Also, in case you don't sit out this cycle, the 3rd score could be valuable if you want to transfer.

11 points? That would be awesome. Whether or not I sit out will be dependent upon how much my score increases by.

sl5uw13

Postby sl5uw13 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:53 pm

I retook in june after getting the same score twice and being admitted to a t25 with a full ride and turning it down among other decent schools. however, within hours of emailing my new score (in july) to a t14 I was waitlisted at I got 90k. completely worth it.

Optimist Prime

Postby Optimist Prime » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 am

Last edited by Optimist Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retake3X

Postby Retake3X » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:
Retake3X wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:Your June retake won't even get reported to the school you deposit at unless you choose to release it. There's absolutely no downside and the possibility of huge rewards. Good luck!

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. So, regardless of what my score is, they won't know unless I decide to let them?
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, the $15 score release fee you paid LSAC is only for one "cycle" as designated by their calendar, so they won't release it to the school until you pay them the score report fee (or whatever it's called) again. This is important because 1.)they won't see your score unless you tell them, and 2.) if you do better you have to tell them for them to know about it and consider you for dat $$$!

I think it's different for me since I have a Fee Waiver, maybe.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:04 pm

I was in your position a couple years ago and definitely regret not retaking in June.

TheodoreKGB wrote:You won't get your score back until late June. It really is too late for any effect on this cycle.

Not true. Every year people get increased scholarship offers and off wait lists with June LSATs scores.

Retake3X

Postby Retake3X » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:18 pm

Nova wrote:I was in your position a couple years ago and definitely regret not retaking in June.

TheodoreKGB wrote:You won't get your score back until late June. It really is too late for any effect on this cycle.

Not true. Every year people get increased scholarship offers and off wait lists with June LSATs scores.

Yeah, I've noticed several people lately talking about how they emailed their June score to a school they were WL'd at and within no-time they were in with $$.

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:31 pm

Retake3X wrote:
Nova wrote:I was in your position a couple years ago and definitely regret not retaking in June.

Yeah, I've noticed several people lately talking about how they emailed their June score to a school they were WL'd at and within no-time they were in with $$.

I've also noted this in several people's biographical posts. I wish people who didn't know wtf they are talking about would stop asserting facts in this forum ... it makes it difficult for newbies to assess their options. "June LSAT won't help" - that is straight up ban-worthy.

haus

Postby haus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:47 pm

I would recommend reading Spivey's advise regarding retaking.

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/mistak ... at-advice/

Return to “Choosing a Law School”