WUSTL at sticker or Kentucky with scholly? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WUSTL at Sticker or UK at discount?

WUSTL
48%
Kentucky
52%

Total votes: 23

scgood05

New

WUSTL at sticker or Kentucky with scholly?

Post by scgood05 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:07 pm

Question... is WUSTL at sticker worth it over Kentucky at about 10,000 a year? I would like to get not necessarily biglaw, but midlaw... 80-120k per year. Which is my best option?

Nova

Platinum

Re: WUSTL at sticker or Kentucky with scholly?

Post by Nova » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:30 pm

please answer these questions,
[color=#BF00BF]mods[/color] wrote:In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT
cant tell if you mean you have a 30k scholly to kentucky or tuition would be 10k/yr

wustl at sticker is definitely way over paying &, at the very least, you prolly shouldn't attend kentucky unless youre from there, want to practice there, its practically free, and you are cool with a starting salary from 35-60k

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:09 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Post by TheodoreKGB » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:19 am

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:05 am

scgood05 wrote:Question... is WUSTL at sticker worth it over Kentucky at about 10,000 a year? I would like to get not necessarily biglaw, but midlaw... 80-120k per year. Which is my best option?
If making a lot of money is a concern to you, don't go to law school. It does not give you great odds to make a lot of money out of the gate and certainly, UK doesn't give you very good odds at this at all.

You will either make ~35-55k out of Kentucky, if you get a legal job at all, or if you graduate in the top 5 or 10 students, you have a small shot at some of the bigger law firms in Louisville, Lexington or Cinci making that salary.

WUSTL at sticker would be disastrous. That isn't a good option either.

If you can go to Kentucky where you are just taking out loans to pay COL or something similar, it may be worth it if you are from KY and want to work in KY. Just don't go in expecting to make the big bucks. You must be okay with small law making a modest starting salary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:44 am

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:53 pm

sublime wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
scgood05 wrote:Question... is WUSTL at sticker worth it over Kentucky at about 10,000 a year? I would like to get not necessarily biglaw, but midlaw... 80-120k per year. Which is my best option?
If making a lot of money is a concern to you, don't go to law school. It does not give you great odds to make a lot of money out of the gate
Really? I feel like at a T14 especially, law school is the easiest route to a 160k a year job there is and that a lawrge number of people get.
Well, it depends on the T14 - if you are talking about the T6 schools then I agree: that is a pretty good way to a 160k job. But I wouldn't say the odds are great outside of those, especially if you have to borrow 250k for it.

But it is a moot point because at a place like WUSTL or Kentucky the odds to make a lot of money are not good. It could happen, but more likely than not, OP is not going to be making 160k from either school (probably won't make even half that). Sticker at WUSTL, if I'm not mistaken, is every bit as expensive as a T14 with a worse shot at big law. It's a fine school under the right circumstances, but this isn't one of them.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:38 pm

If you are from Kentucky and want to practice in Lexington or Louisville, UK for free is a solid deal. Not sure I would pay that much to attend, however.

WUSTL at sticker: hell no.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:46 am

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/20 ... tatistics/

16% of WUSTL grads went to big law when the class size was 300. It's now under 200.*

*these stats are for all students and not all EMPLOYED ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Seoulless wrote: *these stats are for all students and not all EMPLOYED ?
yes but they place better than that. That's just NLJ 250, which is skewed to the east coast.

I usually go by 100+ firms. which has wustl at 23. + fed clerkships = 26% TLS favorable outcome.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... =employers

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:55 pm

to the 6 lemmings in the poll who think OP should go to WUSTL at sticker,

defend that.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Nova wrote:to the 6 lemmings in the poll who think OP should go to WUSTL at sticker,

defend that.
It's easy to click on a poll option. A lot harder to write something in defense of that. That's one of the reasons judges write opinions.

Don't go to WUSTL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”