One law school's explanation of its employment numbers

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cahwc12

One law school's explanation of its employment numbers

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:07 pm

In response to an email I received inviting me to apply to Case Western Law school after being removed from all law school email lists for the last two years, I decided rather than to delete it, I'd just reply with a simple question:

Kelli,

Can you explain this employment information?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=casewestern

Thanks,

[cahwc12]

This was the reply:

Hello [cahwc12] -

Thank you for your interest in Case Western Reserve University School of Law. Kelli Curtis forwarded me your e-mail asking about employment information and asked that I respond to you. Improving employment prospects for our students is always one of our top priorities. Obviously we would love to have a perfect placement for all of our students. As you may be aware the legal market was severely impacted by the economic challenges that many industries have faced in recent years. All law graduates are entering a legal employment market that is drastically different than what many people had become accustomed to. Our University and Career Development Office (CDO) has instituted a number of initiatives in an effort to boost our graduates' employment prospects. First and foremost our Law School adopted a new curriculum this past fall based in on feedback we received from hiring partners at law firms and recent graduates. Our new curriculum is designed to give you more practical experience and develop the skills that hiring partners are looking for. Our CDO posted over 1400 jobs last year to our online job search system. One of the biggest functions of CDO is employer outreach which involves connecting with potential employers and sharing with them the skills and abilities of Case students. The CDO also has a number of workshops available to help you explore different career paths, draft your resume, hone your interview skills and improve your networking. We have an active and involved Alumni network which will also reach out to students.

I hope this helped give you some insight about what Case Western is doing to help its students. If I have not addressed something please don't hesitate to ask follow up questions. Please let me know if you would like to be put in touch with a person in our CDO office who can offer some more insight about career prospects. Finally, please let me know if you have any additional questions about anything else.

Regards,

Jim Stanton
James A. Stanton, Esq.
Assistant Director of Admissions & Diversity Initiatives
Case Western Reserve University School of Law
11075 East Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44106

phone: 216.368.3600
fax: 216.368.0185
james.a.stanton@case.edu

Otunga

Re: One law school's explanation of its employment numbers

Postby Otunga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:14 pm

cahwc12 wrote:In response to an email I received inviting me to apply to Case Western Law school after being removed from all law school email lists for the last two years, I decided rather than to delete it, I'd just reply with a simple question:

Kelli,

Can you explain this employment information?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=casewestern

Thanks,

[cahwc12]

This was the reply:

Hello [cahwc12] -

Thank you for your interest in Case Western Reserve University School of Law. Kelli Curtis forwarded me your e-mail asking about employment information and asked that I respond to you. Improving employment prospects for our students is always one of our top priorities. Obviously we would love to have a perfect placement for all of our students. As you may be aware the legal market was severely impacted by the economic challenges that many industries have faced in recent years. All law graduates are entering a legal employment market that is drastically different than what many people had become accustomed to. Our University and Career Development Office (CDO) has instituted a number of initiatives in an effort to boost our graduates' employment prospects. First and foremost our Law School adopted a new curriculum this past fall based in on feedback we received from hiring partners at law firms and recent graduates. Our new curriculum is designed to give you more practical experience and develop the skills that hiring partners are looking for. Our CDO posted over 1400 jobs last year to our online job search system. One of the biggest functions of CDO is employer outreach which involves connecting with potential employers and sharing with them the skills and abilities of Case students. The CDO also has a number of workshops available to help you explore different career paths, draft your resume, hone your interview skills and improve your networking. We have an active and involved Alumni network which will also reach out to students.

I hope this helped give you some insight about what Case Western is doing to help its students. If I have not addressed something please don't hesitate to ask follow up questions. Please let me know if you would like to be put in touch with a person in our CDO office who can offer some more insight about career prospects. Finally, please let me know if you have any additional questions about anything else.

Regards,

Jim Stanton
James A. Stanton, Esq.
Assistant Director of Admissions & Diversity Initiatives
Case Western Reserve University School of Law
11075 East Boulevard
Cleveland, OH 44106

phone: 216.368.3600
fax: 216.368.0185
james.a.stanton@case.edu

I'd think most schools would say something along those lines. No?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Otunga wrote:I'd think most schools would say something along those lines. No?

Yup. Same crap about the new innovative cirriculum and practical focus that's going to get everyone hired.

All he had to do was say that while the class that entered in 2010 had 236 people, the one that entered this past fall had just 100.

LafayetteJeff

Postby LafayetteJeff » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Pretty standard response. Fairly accurate, honestly. The issue is whether schools are sufficiently up front about this on their glossy material. Buyer beware, always. Being motivated and seizing your chances, at any school, is the safest way to go.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Well, he didn't try to tell you the numbers were wrong. Seems like he basically acknowledged things are tough and then pointed out all the things they're trying to do to make them better. Though we know none of those things will really make a difference, he gave a decent response.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:38 pm

Deleted

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:39 pm

and he didn't even make fun of you for spelling Kelli with an i

Return to “Choosing a Law School”