Which of the T14 schools are worth sticker price?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: Which of the T14 schools are worth sticker price?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:22 pm

This answer to this question is, has always been, and always will be "it depends."

For some people, GULC at sticker would be a big financial plus. For others, HYS sticker would be a poor choice. Unsurprisingly, the large majority fall somewhere in a vague middle ground.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:26 pm

patogordo wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:Is even guaranteed biglaw worth >250k? I guess it's a matter of opportunity cost, and what you're giving up to go (i.e. giving up waiting tables makes more sense than giving up a secure managerial or accounting position where you are making >50k at age 23-25).

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think biglaw alone is worth >250k, even if it's guaranteed. I think that because of this, HYS are only justifiable at sticker because of the OTHER doors that they can realistically open for you above and beyond biglaw (academia for instance, or some of the more elite fedgov jobs).

As someone with biglaw and 250k debt, let me be the first to tell you that it is not worth it.

Yes, OP needs to consider this.

IMO, the only schools worth sticker at this point are schools that offer options better than Biglaw, such as academia, a more than sliver chance at an Article III clerkship, certain types of PI, etc. Depending on what you're aiming for, various schools in the T10 or so may be worth sticker, but I'm going to bet that for most people, it's pretty much strictly limited to HYS (and not even HYS for everyone). If you're simply aiming for Biglaw, than none are probably worth sticker, unless you have other means of financial security to help pay off those loans (spouse, parents, etc.). If all you want is Biglaw, take a bottom half T13 school with close to a full scholly, even possibly over HYS.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:05 pm

JCougar wrote:
patogordo wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:Is even guaranteed biglaw worth >250k? I guess it's a matter of opportunity cost, and what you're giving up to go (i.e. giving up waiting tables makes more sense than giving up a secure managerial or accounting position where you are making >50k at age 23-25).

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think biglaw alone is worth >250k, even if it's guaranteed. I think that because of this, HYS are only justifiable at sticker because of the OTHER doors that they can realistically open for you above and beyond biglaw (academia for instance, or some of the more elite fedgov jobs).

As someone with biglaw and 250k debt, let me be the first to tell you that it is not worth it.

Yes, OP needs to consider this.

IMO, the only schools worth sticker at this point are schools that offer options better than Biglaw, such as academia, a more than sliver chance at an Article III clerkship, certain types of PI, etc. Depending on what you're aiming for, various schools in the T10 or so may be worth sticker, but I'm going to bet that for most people, it's pretty much strictly limited to HYS (and not even HYS for everyone). If you're simply aiming for Biglaw, than none are probably worth sticker, unless you have other means of financial security to help pay off those loans (spouse, parents, etc.). If all you want is Biglaw, take a bottom half T13 school with close to a full scholly, even possibly over HYS.

at harvard. still not worth it.

bearsfan23

Postby bearsfan23 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:46 am

TCR is Yale. With their LRAP, it really doesn't matter even if you completely screw up. You could work as a bartender and they would pay your loans (if I'm reading it right).

Otherwise - as had been pointed out - it depends COMPLETELY on your personal situation whether a T13 is worth it. For some people even Chicago at full price could be a bad choice, for others it could definitely be worth it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”