Which of the T14 schools are worth sticker price? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
scootsy

New

Which of the T14 schools are worth sticker price?

Post by scootsy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Simply curious. It's near blasphemy for me to even mention these schools, as I won't be able to attend any of them, but I am curious as to which of the schools, if any, are worth attending at sticker price.
Last edited by scootsy on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Gold

Re: Which of the T14 schools are owrth sticker price?

Post by twenty » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Depends on soooooo many things.

For a liberal arts grad from a regional school with a 2.8 GPA and a 178 LSAT, I'd definitely recommend NU at sticker. For a Stanford grad working in IB making 100k a year with a 4.0 and a 163 LSAT, there's no way NU is worth sticker.

scootsy

New

Re: Which of the T14 schools are owrth sticker price?

Post by scootsy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Any demotion or punishment for misspelling a word in the topic title?

If not, will commence self-flagellation shortly.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Which of the T14 schools are worth sticker price?

Post by Clearly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:50 pm

HYSCCNP

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:53 pm

Clearly wrote:HYSCCNP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Taking the kind of people twenty mentioned out of the equation. HYS would be it for me. Unless you could live at home or with a significant other and not have to take out loans for living expenses. In that case, almost all could be argued.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:05 pm

The debt is freaking absurd. The legal hiring market has been this way since what.. 2008? Obviously, everyone isn't getting big law to justify the costs with future earning power...... Damn it.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:17 am

Like twenty said, there's no black and white answer. Your numbers, your current job prospects, and your goals are all pertinent.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:18 am

Wouldn't have taken Berkeley at sticker with the plan of gunning for Biglaw. Don't think MVP or even NYU are worth it at sticker for Biglaw either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:21 am

What about PI/GOV? Michigan or GT worth it for the LRAP?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:24 am

Tanicius wrote:Wouldn't have taken Berkeley at sticker with the plan of gunning for Biglaw. Don't think MVP or even NYU are worth it at sticker for Biglaw either.
How about Columbia?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 am

I do not want to rehash this debate again. I do not want anyone else to do it either. I do prefer using the search function as opposed to starting another thread that has been beaten to death already.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:02 am

HYSChi

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 am

Is even guaranteed biglaw worth >250k? I guess it's a matter of opportunity cost, and what you're giving up to go (i.e. giving up waiting tables makes more sense than giving up a secure managerial or accounting position where you are making >50k at age 23-25).

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think biglaw alone is worth >250k, even if it's guaranteed. I think that because of this, HYS are only justifiable at sticker because of the OTHER doors that they can realistically open for you above and beyond biglaw (academia for instance, or some of the more elite fedgov jobs).

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 am

daleearnhardt123 wrote:a secure managerial or accounting position where you are making >50k at age 23-25).
These jobs are very similar to the mythical 90k midlaw positions.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 pm

Personally, I think they all are if (1) your other options have sub-50k starting salaries and (2) you're mentally capable of working your ass off, and forming quid pro quo relationships with peers to assist in the competition. Law school offers many places to opt out. As long as you never place your self worth on anything but how you work, it's easy to cut bait. If you wind up in the top quarter, you're now very likely to have made a good decision.

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:02 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:a secure managerial or accounting position where you are making >50k at age 23-25).

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration insofar as I can identify plenty of friends who hold these positions whereas i don't think ive ever even HEARD of someone occupying the 90k midlaw position.

If your point is that they're not easy to get (especially at that age and with just a ugrad degree) then point taken. But I don't think it's fair to characterize them as "mythical" and lump them into the same category as something which very well may not even exist.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:05 pm

^That would seem to especially be the case for when we consider the people who get into the top law schools.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:10 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration insofar as I can identify plenty of friends who hold these positions whereas i don't think ive ever even HEARD of someone occupying the 90k midlaw position.

If your point is that they're not easy to get (especially at that age and with just a ugrad degree) then point taken. But I don't think it's fair to characterize them as "mythical" and lump them into the same category as something which very well may not even exist.
Yeah, they do exist but are few and far between. I think the reason why it's so rare to hear about on here is because you only get these after OCI in most cases, and most who strikeout at OCI don't have the grades to get interviewed. They're probably more competitive in the sense most rich kids prefer 90k for 40 hrs a week than 120-160 for 80, and most students are upper middle class-upper class.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:14 pm

daleearnhardt123 wrote:Is even guaranteed biglaw worth >250k? I guess it's a matter of opportunity cost, and what you're giving up to go (i.e. giving up waiting tables makes more sense than giving up a secure managerial or accounting position where you are making >50k at age 23-25).

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think biglaw alone is worth >250k, even if it's guaranteed. I think that because of this, HYS are only justifiable at sticker because of the OTHER doors that they can realistically open for you above and beyond biglaw (academia for instance, or some of the more elite fedgov jobs).
As someone with biglaw and 250k debt, let me be the first to tell you that it is not worth it.

PepperJack

Silver

Post by PepperJack » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:20 pm

patogordo wrote:
daleearnhardt123 wrote:Is even guaranteed biglaw worth >250k? I guess it's a matter of opportunity cost, and what you're giving up to go (i.e. giving up waiting tables makes more sense than giving up a secure managerial or accounting position where you are making >50k at age 23-25).

As someone with biglaw and 250k debt, let me be the first to tell you that it is not worth it.
Why not? I think many biglaw people assume they'd succeed in other fields when there's no evidence they would.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:22 pm

I don't know anyone who had a managerial position that paid $50k+ at 25. I'm 27, and people are just starting to get these. I'm probably 2 years away from a real management position (I'm responsible for making sure people get there shit done, but not an actual 'manager').

Big4 accounting gets around $50k, but also work biglaw hours for a good portion of the year. My roommate is an auditor at EY, and I'll go weeks not hearing him come home on weekdays.

It has just seemed like in my experience over the past 5 years since graduating, for entry level stuff (22-25 year olds), a bimodal salary distribution exists for college grads. Most of my friends were either around $80k+ IB analysts or consultants, or were $30k-$40k desk jockeys in dead end jobs. Also, the only real way to get raises in these types of jobs (like mine) is lateraling back and forth between companies.

Edit: Sales bros seem to be doing OK if they're good at what they do, but they don't seem to be balling either. This also has the least job security tho.
Last edited by BmoreOrLess on Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:23 pm

PepperJack wrote:
patogordo wrote:

Why not? I think many biglaw people assume they'd succeed in other fields when there's no evidence they would.
lol wut

because I'm not likely to last more than a few years in biglaw which will barely put a dent in my loans, bro, not because I think I'd be a billionaire if I'd stayed out of law school.

daleearnhardt123

Bronze

Post by daleearnhardt123 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:37 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:I don't know anyone who had a managerial position that paid $50k+ at 25. I'm 27, and people are just starting to get these. I'm probably 2 years away from a real management position (I'm responsible for making sure people get there shit done, but not an actual 'manager').

Big4 accounting gets around $50k, but also work biglaw hours for a good portion of the year. My roommate is an auditor at EY, and I'll go weeks not hearing him come home on weekdays.

It has just seemed like in my experience over the past 5 years since graduating, for entry level stuff (22-25 year olds), a bimodal salary distribution exists for college grads. Most of my friends were either around $80k+ IB analysts or consultants, or were $30k-$40k desk jockeys in dead end jobs. Also, the only real way to get raises in these types of jobs (like mine) is lateraling back and forth between companies.

Edit: Sales bros seem to be doing OK if they're good at what they do, but they don't seem to be balling either. This also has the least job security tho.
I have about half a dozen friends aged 23-26 right now who graduated from a middling state university without stellar grades and are in some sort of secure job making >50k. Accounting, some shade of consulting, or engineering. There's little point in derailing this thread with a discussion about the availability of such jobs, and I'll be the first to admit that # of people who get them are dwarfed by the # who don't, but, I think it'd be silly to have a discussion about the viability of T14 at sticker without heavily weighing opportunity cost.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Fair enough, I just don't think there is that much of a difference in the opportunity costs of jobs that people in their 20's (particularly early 20's) have. Obviously there is for the high level work (IB Analysts, consultants, engineers, maybe big4 accounting), but if you're not in this class of work I think the opportunity costs aren't really huge. To me, it's just a matter of the risk of joblessness/debtor's prison, but that's the same whether you're a K-JD, Starbucks Barista, or F500 peon like me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”