UF Law v. FSU Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF Law or FSU Law (costs being equal)

UF Law
53%
FSU Law
47%

Total votes: 135

Roberrrrto

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 pm

For now, yes. Tomorrow it will be on the USNews website.

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:For now, yes. Tomorrow it will be on the USNews website.

So we are supposed to just trust this blog? Earlier today posters were saying FSU would be out of the top 50 according to another blog... Just want to be cautious.

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Yeah, it's legit. He gets insider info. He's kinda a big deal.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:

So we are supposed to just trust this blog? Earlier today posters were saying FSU would be out of the top 50 according to another blog... Just want to be cautious.

What does it really matter? If the actual results came out and UF was 27 and FSU was 63, do you think it would affect the things that really matter (like employment, COA)? The long-standing issue remains, that UF and FSU are peers, and nothing else really matters.

Maybe grandma and grandpa would be proud of their little tangerine getting into a "top #xx" law school, but when it comes to getting a job after graduation, nothing will change.

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:

What does it really matter? If the actual results came out and UF was 27 and FSU was 63, do you think it would affect the things that really matter (like employment, COA)? The long-standing issue remains, that UF and FSU are peers, and nothing else really matters.

Maybe grandma and grandpa would be proud of their little tangerine getting into a "top #xx" law school, but when it comes to getting a job after graduation, nothing will change.

Agreed. But rankings are still important, whether you acknowledge it or not.

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:02 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:Yeah, it's legit. He gets insider info. He's kinda a big deal.

I'm still trying to decide between the two, but I hope he is right.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:04 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:

Agreed. But rankings are still important, whether you acknowledge it or not.

No, they're really not. Look at places like UIUC and American. One has dropped precipitously in previous years and held it's relative employment strength while the other held steady (minus this year according to spivey, who knows what he's talking about) while there employment opportunities and cost were objectively awful. USNWR may change, but these fluctuations are not dispositive for actual results in the real world.

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Rankings are important to the people who think they're important, and that's it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:45 pm

rankings are important for DROVES jokes

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:50 pm

patogordo wrote:rankings are important for DROVES jokes

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:Rankings are important to the people who think they're important, and that's it.

very important if you're UF's dean right now

AT9

Postby AT9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:37 pm

These rankings matter in the sense that this may sway a higher percentage of students to enroll at FSU over UF. Really, the only thing UF has going for it over FSU is the "prestige." If that's eroding, even slowly, then this could signify a long-term change in perception. So yes, US News should not be a factor in whether you choose either school right now. But 10-20 years from now, it's feasible that FSU could be considered the top-dog in the third most populous state. Not to mention, this just adds fuel to the UF/FSU rivalry in general. So I would have to disagree with those who say this change is insignificant.

underwear

Postby underwear » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 pm

AT9 wrote:top-dog in the third most populous state. .

California, New York, ... Florida? Is Florida really that booming?

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:50 pm

AT9 wrote:These rankings matter in the sense that this may sway a higher percentage of students to enroll at FSU over UF. Really, the only thing UF has going for it over FSU is the "prestige." If that's eroding, even slowly, then this could signify a long-term change in perception. So yes, US News should not be a factor in whether you choose either school right now. But 10-20 years from now, it's feasible that FSU could be considered the top-dog in the third most populous state. Not to mention, this just adds fuel to the UF/FSU rivalry in general. So I would have to disagree with those who say this change is insignificant.

How does this make it more significant in any meaningful way? Does anyone outside legal hiring in FL care about the relative strength of UF/FSU as a law school? Do any noles/gator fans base their opinion of the school on how bitchin their grad programs are? Even if you want to use some non-quantifiable metric like "prestige" to account for these minuscule changes in some outdated model of ranking, this won't produce any appreciable change.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
AT9 wrote:These rankings matter in the sense that this may sway a higher percentage of students to enroll at FSU over UF. Really, the only thing UF has going for it over FSU is the "prestige." If that's eroding, even slowly, then this could signify a long-term change in perception. So yes, US News should not be a factor in whether you choose either school right now. But 10-20 years from now, it's feasible that FSU could be considered the top-dog in the third most populous state. Not to mention, this just adds fuel to the UF/FSU rivalry in general. So I would have to disagree with those who say this change is insignificant.

How does this make it more significant in any meaningful way? Does anyone outside legal hiring in FL care about the relative strength of UF/FSU as a law school? Do any noles/gator fans base their opinion of the school on how bitchin their grad programs are? Even if you want to use some non-quantifiable metric like "prestige" to account for these minuscule changes in some outdated model of ranking, this won't produce any appreciable change.

No, I doubt anyone outside of the FL legal market cares. It's the symbolic significance of a possible changing of the guard, so to speak. It doesn't matter to any of us who wins the most pro bowling tournaments, but it does matter to people within that sphere (FL legal field in this example).

Also, yes, FL is expected to pass up NY soon.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:23 pm

No one gives a shit now, but that may not be the case 20 years from now if one school is significantly better than the other. Rankings do play a part in which schools students pick, so this could help FSU continue it's momentums if they start poaching higher quality students from UF. That's all I'm getting at here. UF has been the "best" school in FL forever, so I simply disagree that this is insignificant. It'd be like GA State passing up UGA.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:31 pm

Thought I would give my feedback. I'm a 3L at FSU Law. Parking is not a problem at all. They recently opened up the civic center parking to fsu students at no charge. Every once in awhile it will be closed but its very rare and you wont have a too much of a hard time finding parking in the other lots anyways.

I think FSU went up in ranks because of employment percentages. I have an offer and all of my friends do as well. I don't hang out with many law students so I cant speak for everyone.

The professors at FSU are top notch as well. We have the Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court teaching every semester as well as some current/former congressmen.

That said, UF is still the best if you want big law.

jkwo07

Postby jkwo07 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:46 pm

mes10d wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:How much will each of them cost you

First line of OP's post: Okay, so I have been admitted to both and as a Florida resident, both COAs are essentially identical.

Just because two things are identical doesn't mean they're identically good. Maybe I missed it but were any actual costs listed or just in relation to each other?

patogordo

Postby patogordo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm just gonna assume in state sticker aka retake

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:27 am

AT9 wrote:No one gives a shit now, but that may not be the case 20 years from now

In 20 years we'll all be dead.

jkwo07

Postby jkwo07 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 am

patogordo wrote:I'm just gonna assume in state sticker aka retake

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:07 am

Return to “Choosing a Law School”