UF Law v. FSU Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF Law or FSU Law (costs being equal)

UF Law
72
53%
FSU Law
63
47%
 
Total votes: 135

Roberrrrto
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 pm

For now, yes. Tomorrow it will be on the USNews website.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:For now, yes. Tomorrow it will be on the USNews website.


So we are supposed to just trust this blog? Earlier today posters were saying FSU would be out of the top 50 according to another blog... Just want to be cautious.

User avatar
JazzieShizzle
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Yeah, it's legit. He gets insider info. He's kinda a big deal.

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:58 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:For now, yes. Tomorrow it will be on the USNews website.


So we are supposed to just trust this blog? Earlier today posters were saying FSU would be out of the top 50 according to another blog... Just want to be cautious.


What does it really matter? If the actual results came out and UF was 27 and FSU was 63, do you think it would affect the things that really matter (like employment, COA)? The long-standing issue remains, that UF and FSU are peers, and nothing else really matters.

Maybe grandma and grandpa would be proud of their little tangerine getting into a "top #xx" law school, but when it comes to getting a job after graduation, nothing will change.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:For now, yes. Tomorrow it will be on the USNews website.


So we are supposed to just trust this blog? Earlier today posters were saying FSU would be out of the top 50 according to another blog... Just want to be cautious.


What does it really matter? If the actual results came out and UF was 27 and FSU was 63, do you think it would affect the things that really matter (like employment, COA)? The long-standing issue remains, that UF and FSU are peers, and nothing else really matters.

Maybe grandma and grandpa would be proud of their little tangerine getting into a "top #xx" law school, but when it comes to getting a job after graduation, nothing will change.


Agreed. But rankings are still important, whether you acknowledge it or not.

User avatar
SailorMoon9543
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:02 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:Yeah, it's legit. He gets insider info. He's kinda a big deal.


I'm still trying to decide between the two, but I hope he is right.

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:04 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:
SailorMoon9543 wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:For now, yes. Tomorrow it will be on the USNews website.


So we are supposed to just trust this blog? Earlier today posters were saying FSU would be out of the top 50 according to another blog... Just want to be cautious.


What does it really matter? If the actual results came out and UF was 27 and FSU was 63, do you think it would affect the things that really matter (like employment, COA)? The long-standing issue remains, that UF and FSU are peers, and nothing else really matters.

Maybe grandma and grandpa would be proud of their little tangerine getting into a "top #xx" law school, but when it comes to getting a job after graduation, nothing will change.


Agreed. But rankings are still important, whether you acknowledge it or not.


No, they're really not. Look at places like UIUC and American. One has dropped precipitously in previous years and held it's relative employment strength while the other held steady (minus this year according to spivey, who knows what he's talking about) while there employment opportunities and cost were objectively awful. USNWR may change, but these fluctuations are not dispositive for actual results in the real world.

User avatar
JazzieShizzle
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:47 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Rankings are important to the people who think they're important, and that's it.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:44 pm

,
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby patogordo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:45 pm

rankings are important for DROVES jokes

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:50 pm

patogordo wrote:rankings are important for DROVES jokes

Image

californiauser
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby californiauser » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:Rankings are important to the people who think they're important, and that's it.



very important if you're UF's dean right now

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby AT9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:37 pm

These rankings matter in the sense that this may sway a higher percentage of students to enroll at FSU over UF. Really, the only thing UF has going for it over FSU is the "prestige." If that's eroding, even slowly, then this could signify a long-term change in perception. So yes, US News should not be a factor in whether you choose either school right now. But 10-20 years from now, it's feasible that FSU could be considered the top-dog in the third most populous state. Not to mention, this just adds fuel to the UF/FSU rivalry in general. So I would have to disagree with those who say this change is insignificant.

underwear
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby underwear » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:42 pm

AT9 wrote:top-dog in the third most populous state. .

California, New York, ... Florida? Is Florida really that booming?

Roberrrrto
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:44 pm


User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:50 pm

AT9 wrote:These rankings matter in the sense that this may sway a higher percentage of students to enroll at FSU over UF. Really, the only thing UF has going for it over FSU is the "prestige." If that's eroding, even slowly, then this could signify a long-term change in perception. So yes, US News should not be a factor in whether you choose either school right now. But 10-20 years from now, it's feasible that FSU could be considered the top-dog in the third most populous state. Not to mention, this just adds fuel to the UF/FSU rivalry in general. So I would have to disagree with those who say this change is insignificant.


How does this make it more significant in any meaningful way? Does anyone outside legal hiring in FL care about the relative strength of UF/FSU as a law school? Do any noles/gator fans base their opinion of the school on how bitchin their grad programs are? Even if you want to use some non-quantifiable metric like "prestige" to account for these minuscule changes in some outdated model of ranking, this won't produce any appreciable change.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby AT9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
AT9 wrote:These rankings matter in the sense that this may sway a higher percentage of students to enroll at FSU over UF. Really, the only thing UF has going for it over FSU is the "prestige." If that's eroding, even slowly, then this could signify a long-term change in perception. So yes, US News should not be a factor in whether you choose either school right now. But 10-20 years from now, it's feasible that FSU could be considered the top-dog in the third most populous state. Not to mention, this just adds fuel to the UF/FSU rivalry in general. So I would have to disagree with those who say this change is insignificant.


How does this make it more significant in any meaningful way? Does anyone outside legal hiring in FL care about the relative strength of UF/FSU as a law school? Do any noles/gator fans base their opinion of the school on how bitchin their grad programs are? Even if you want to use some non-quantifiable metric like "prestige" to account for these minuscule changes in some outdated model of ranking, this won't produce any appreciable change.


No, I doubt anyone outside of the FL legal market cares. It's the symbolic significance of a possible changing of the guard, so to speak. It doesn't matter to any of us who wins the most pro bowling tournaments, but it does matter to people within that sphere (FL legal field in this example).

Also, yes, FL is expected to pass up NY soon.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 pm

,
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby AT9 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:23 pm

No one gives a shit now, but that may not be the case 20 years from now if one school is significantly better than the other. Rankings do play a part in which schools students pick, so this could help FSU continue it's momentums if they start poaching higher quality students from UF. That's all I'm getting at here. UF has been the "best" school in FL forever, so I simply disagree that this is insignificant. It'd be like GA State passing up UGA.

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Extension_Cord » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:31 pm

Thought I would give my feedback. I'm a 3L at FSU Law. Parking is not a problem at all. They recently opened up the civic center parking to fsu students at no charge. Every once in awhile it will be closed but its very rare and you wont have a too much of a hard time finding parking in the other lots anyways.

I think FSU went up in ranks because of employment percentages. I have an offer and all of my friends do as well. I don't hang out with many law students so I cant speak for everyone.

The professors at FSU are top notch as well. We have the Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court teaching every semester as well as some current/former congressmen.

That said, UF is still the best if you want big law.

User avatar
jkwo07
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:48 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby jkwo07 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:46 pm

mes10d wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:How much will each of them cost you


First line of OP's post: Okay, so I have been admitted to both and as a Florida resident, both COAs are essentially identical.


Just because two things are identical doesn't mean they're identically good. Maybe I missed it but were any actual costs listed or just in relation to each other?

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby patogordo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm just gonna assume in state sticker aka retake

User avatar
pedestrian
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby pedestrian » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:27 am

AT9 wrote:No one gives a shit now, but that may not be the case 20 years from now


In 20 years we'll all be dead.

User avatar
jkwo07
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:48 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby jkwo07 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 am

patogordo wrote:I'm just gonna assume in state sticker aka retake

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15396
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby sublime » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:07 am

..




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger and 1 guest