UF Law v. FSU Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF Law or FSU Law (costs being equal)

UF Law
53%
FSU Law
47%

Total votes: 135

Def Ray

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Def Ray » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:15 am

Struggling with the same choice. My situation is a little different as I am out of state. I've been assured by assistant deans at both programs I can refile for instate tuition for my 2nd and 3rd years.

FSU has given me 25K, total, without any stipulations. UF has, as of today, not given me a dime or any indication I will receive one. That puts tuition costs at 55K for FSU and 82K for UF. Add cost of living of Tallahasse vs. Gainesville and the gap would close a bit but costs would still be in favor of FSU

Does this make FSU hands down the better choice? From what I've seen I think I would like Tallahassee better than Gainesville, but I could suck up Gainesville for three years if I really thought it was going to pay me back.

Looking for private practice work afterwards.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:52 pm

So I have made up my mind and I am going to UF. I spoke with 2 attorneys that I know personally, one in Ft. Lauderdale and one in Miami. They both say that UF is the better choice.

The Ft. Lauderdale attorney said "UF for sure"

and the Miami one said: "Plain and simple, UF is a better school with a better network. The thing with FSU, which is well known, is that they skew their LSAT scores for US news purposes by taking fewer first years and then offering to take everyone they didn't accept initially as a transfer student. They have a huge transfer population."

None of these attorneys went to either UF or FSU. I enjoyed my time in Tallahassee and think I would be happier there during my 3 years of law school. Yet, my goal is to get the best job possible, and for that reason I am going to UF.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:06 pm

As a Florida resident, I think it's safe to say that as a general rule of thumb, people will say UF over FSU when asked which one is better without any context. I believe you mentioned you were also a FL resident (or spent considerable time here) so I know this isn't some shocking revelation to you.

UF does have a higher large firm score on LST.

And while FSU manipulating LSAT scores via transfer students is something I'm hearing about for the first time, according to lawschooltransparency FSU has a higher employment score.

The allure of going to school and beefing up your resume in the state capital is also very enticing.

Have you heard from either school in terms of financial aid? UF has been silent for months on that front.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Also unrelated to the UF/FSU thing, but I'm hearing that wealthy folks are evacuating NY (thanks de Blasio!) and the most popular destination is Florida. The state is projected to surpass NY in population as soon as this year. With immigration, influx of big money, and people generally fleeing the northern states (http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/ ... g-in-2014/), hopefully it means more opportunities within the state.

I mean, at the least it's a bit more hopeful than if people were taking their money OUT of the state, right?

Def Ray

Postby Def Ray » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:26 pm

The state of Florida is definitely going to grow in importance. Cannot wait to get out of the northeast. Thanks for filling us in on your decision Roberrrto. I think I'm going to visit each school at the end of the month but I'm starting to lean UF as well.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Def Ray wrote:Struggling with the same choice. My situation is a little different as I am out of state. I've been assured by assistant deans at both programs I can refile for instate tuition for my 2nd and 3rd years.

FSU has given me 25K, total, without any stipulations. UF has, as of today, not given me a dime or any indication I will receive one. That puts tuition costs at 55K for FSU and 82K for UF. Add cost of living of Tallahasse vs. Gainesville and the gap would close a bit but costs would still be in favor of FSU

Does this make FSU hands down the better choice? From what I've seen I think I would like Tallahassee better than Gainesville, but I could suck up Gainesville for three years if I really thought it was going to pay me back.

Looking for private practice work afterwards.

I think the consensus is that FSU is better for government and UF is better for private practice. I agree with you that I like Tallahassee waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than Gainesville, but chose UF because it's the better school (and will suck it up for 3 years). In my case, the COA was equal, but in yours that may be a deciding factor.

Where do you want to work? I know UF has more pull in South Florida (my target) but FSU does better in Tally and the panhandle. If you don't plan on working in FL both schools are a terrible choice with UF (because of the overall brand prestige) being a little less terrible.

Def Ray

Postby Def Ray » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Yeah I'm looking to work in Florida. Central or South preferably.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:58 pm

FL resident with no intention of going anywhere else.
I am interested in government, which is why I'm leaning towards FSU at the moment.

And because UF hasn't said anything about financial aid, though it seems December admits are getting their packages recently.

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:05 pm

I posted this on the UF thread but think it applies here too:
I visited the campus yesterday. I wasn't that impressed with UF's buildings. Maybe I just need an official tour so I can see more of the inside (I only had access to a few buildings bc of spring break). My first question is about parking. A woman at the admissions desk said that there would be absolutely no problem finding a spot, and that I would not need to take the bus. I find this hard to believe. Can anyone comment on this? I heard from someone else that buses run every twenty minutes, but that you may need to take two buses to actually get to the law campus (which would suck). Also, does anyone have experience with parking at FSU's law campus? I know the main campus parking is so bad you shouldn't bother trying. Second question: is there much of a nightlife in gainesville? I went to FSU undergrad, and Tally has so much more of a city feel. Gainesville seemed so spread out.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:43 pm

phireblast wrote:Also unrelated to the UF/FSU thing, but I'm hearing that wealthy folks are evacuating NY (thanks de Blasio!) and the most popular destination is Florida.

Evacuating in DROVES I tell you.

d-wade

Postby d-wade » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:15 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:I posted this on the UF thread but think it applies here too:
I visited the campus yesterday. I wasn't that impressed with UF's buildings. Maybe I just need an official tour so I can see more of the inside (I only had access to a few buildings bc of spring break). My first question is about parking. A woman at the admissions desk said that there would be absolutely no problem finding a spot, and that I would not need to take the bus. I find this hard to believe. Can anyone comment on this? I heard from someone else that buses run every twenty minutes, but that you may need to take two buses to actually get to the law campus (which would suck). Also, does anyone have experience with parking at FSU's law campus? I know the main campus parking is so bad you shouldn't bother trying. Second question: is there much of a nightlife in gainesville? I went to FSU undergrad, and Tally has so much more of a city feel. Gainesville seemed so spread out.

Here's a breakdown on parking from an FSU law alum. Parking is really not much of a problem, especially compared to the parking situation on the main campuses of both UF and FSU. There is a small gated lot directly next to the school that does fill up quickly, although it may be useful while you are a 1L or if you otherwise opt to take early morning classes (there's also a couple spots in the lot attached to the new Advocacy Center that you may be able to snag if you are lucky or a morning person or both). Then you have the parking garage on Macomb, where you can generally count on finding a spot except for maybe the busiest times of the day (between 11-2 or thereabouts), and from there it is just a 5 minute walk to class. This was where I would typically park on an average day. If perchance you cannot find a spot in the garage, you can pay to park in the civic center lot where there is always parking. This will cost you 3 or 4 bucks, and is free after about 3pm when the attendant leaves. Finally, there are metered spaces directly in front of the law school and on the adjacent streets as well. So yea, parking is pretty much a non-issue.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 pm

SailorMoon9543 wrote:I posted this on the UF thread but think it applies here too:

I visited during the winter break and had the same experience. The outside of UF Law's buildings are not that impressive. Conversely, I thought FSU looked amazing. Despite that, I went with my gut and chose the prestige of UF. As for parking at UF, a current student I talked to said parking was terrible but if you were at the campus before 10:00 (I can not imagine why you would not be) it is not an issue. As for nightlife, there are a bunch of bars downtown, directly East about a mile on University Ave from the Law School. Look on Yelp. I agree that FSU is the more convenient option with nightlife, apartments, downtown, and that law school all in a concentrated area.

rdelaney

Postby rdelaney » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Still waiting to hear back from both schools. Even without scholly information, I can't help but choose UF. The "prestige" is kind of huge in FL. If you search local lawyers or even politicians in an area, if any went to law school, most went to UF (granted the class size is bigger)...but it's just a bit overwhelming compared to FSU, which seems like a great school.

Plus, SEC football. -.-

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:50 pm

My first question is about parking. A woman at the admissions desk said that there would be absolutely no problem finding a spot, and that I would not need to take the bus. I find this hard to believe. Can anyone comment on this? I heard from someone else that buses run every twenty minutes, but that you may need to take two buses to actually get to the law campus (which would suck).

You can find parking in the two main lots anytime before ~10 M-TR and then anytime after 2. A lot of people leave for lunch so you can usually find spots around noon. Otherwise, you have to park ~5 mins away either in frat row or on the "hill." Parking is always easy on Friday.

From what I remember when I visited, parking at FSU was also incredibly easy.

As far as the buildings go, I think FSU has much more charm and is definitely cooler looking. However, I think the facilities at UF are overall nicer. I also liked the cafeteria at FSU way more than at UF. Both libraries are nice.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:48 pm

I posted this in the UF Law c/o 2017 board but thought I'd post it here too to help future TLSers that face this tough question every year. I know I read years of this same question.

"2015 US News Law School Rankings Speculation:

It looks like UF will be ranked between 45-48 and FSU will drop out of the top 50. According to early leaks here are the top law schools for:

Student selectivity (combined median GPA/ LSAT): http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... ivity.html
UF is #48
FSU is #55

Median GPA: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... gpas-.html
UF is #45 with a 3.55 median GPA
FSU is not in the top 50

Median LSAT: http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... cores.html
UF is tied with the world at #46 with a 160 median LSAT.
FSU is not in the top 50"

Kanye West

Postby Kanye West » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:27 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:I posted this in the UF Law c/o 2017 board but thought I'd post it here too to help future TLSers that face this tough question every year. I know I read years of this same question.

It looks like UF will be ranked between 45-48 and FSU will drop out of the top 50. According to early leaks here are the top law schools for:

Student selectivity (combined median GPA/ LSAT): http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... ivity.html
UF is #48
FSU is #55

FSU is not in the top 50

FSU #45
UF #49

and the fat lady sang

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Kanye West wrote:
FSU #45
UF #49

and the fat lady sang

:lol: :lol:

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:38 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:
Kanye West wrote:
FSU #45
UF #49

and the fat lady sang

:lol: :lol:

I haven't been on TLS in a year, and I came here just to say:

Awww yeahhhhh! :D :D

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Holy crap! FSU HAS PASSED UF IN THE RANKINGS!!! I can't believe it. Well, I think it is because of the superior job placement. I also think that since the previous post shows UF has the superior selectivity, LSAT, and GPA rankings that UF will jump back up quickly. I hope the career office will respond properly.

FSU #45
UF #49

http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/2014-u ... h-changes/

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:Holy crap! FSU HAS PASSED UF IN THE RANKINGS!!! I can't believe it. Well, I think it is because of the superior job placement. I also think that since the previous post shows UF has the superior selectivity, LSAT, and GPA rankings that UF will jump back up quickly. I hope the career office will respond properly.

FSU #45
UF #49

I think this is good for UF. Their CSO and alumni needed a wake up call and hopefully this is it. No reason the best law school in the state, with the best alumni network in the state, should have a 55% employment rating. Inexcusable and lazy. I imagine this will light a fire. Gators have way too much pride to let this linger...

But 'Noles could respond just as positively, we'll see.

EDIT: Agree with rad lulz. Fwiw.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:Holy crap! FSU HAS PASSED UF IN THE RANKINGS!!! I can't believe it. Well, I think it is because of the superior job placement. I also think that since the previous post shows UF has the superior selectivity, LSAT, and GPA rankings that UF will jump back up quickly. I hope the career office will respond properly.

FSU #45
UF #49

DROVES, I TELL YOU, DROVES!

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:23 pm

Kanye West wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:I posted this in the UF Law c/o 2017 board but thought I'd post it here too to help future TLSers that face this tough question every year. I know I read years of this same question.

UF is #48
FSU is #55

FSU is not in the top 50

FSU #45
UF #49

and the fat lady sang

Where are you getting this?

JazzieShizzle

Postby JazzieShizzle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:25 pm

SailorMoon9543

Postby SailorMoon9543 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:41 pm

JazzieShizzle wrote:http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/2014-usnwr-top-50-with-changes/

Is this the only source?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”