UF Law v. FSU Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF Law or FSU Law (costs being equal)

UF Law
53%
FSU Law
47%

Total votes: 135

mes10d

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby mes10d » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:55 pm

rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:How much will each of them cost you

First line of OP's post: Okay, so I have been admitted to both and as a Florida resident, both COAs are essentially identical.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:16 pm

mes10d wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:How much will each of them cost you

First line of OP's post: Okay, so I have been admitted to both and as a Florida resident, both COAs are essentially identical.

OP responded to my same question and said about $30K at both, including housing.

gta

Postby gta » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:09 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:Florida's flagship University (any school that is University of ... is the flagship)

This is not true.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:20 pm

gta wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:Florida's flagship University (any school that is University of ... is the flagship)

This is not true.

It's mostly true. Ohio State, Penn State, LSU...can't think of many other examples.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 pm

gta

Postby gta » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 pm

AT9 wrote:
gta wrote:

This is not true.

It's mostly true. Ohio State, Penn State, LSU...can't think of many other examples.

You named examples of states where "_____ State University" is the flagship. But many other states, Florida included, do not have one flagship at all.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:13 am

gta wrote:
AT9 wrote:
gta wrote:

This is not true.

You named examples of states where "_____ State University" is the flagship. But many other states, Florida included, do not have one flagship at all.

Technically, sure. But I think the poster is equating "flagship" with "most prestigious." And the U of State is typically more prestigois than State U.

But I think we're a tad off topic now....

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:54 am

Well to get back on topic,

I think generally the consensus is UF for private practice and FSU for government. If one is noticeably cheaper, I'd take that one. Gainesville has slightly lower COL than Tallahassee but tuition is just about the same. If you visit one school and like it significantly more than the other, I would go there. UF is definitely not more "cut-throat" than FSU but UF has more students. UF is considered one of the most outgoing/social law schools but Tallahassee has a better nightlife than Gainesville without question. You have a better opportunity to land something in Tallahassee for over the summer while there are much fewer law jobs in Gainesville. UF probably has slightly more pull for working in Miami than does FSU.

The only scenario in which someone should go to Miami is if they (1) have the $100k scholarship; and (2) can live at home. Otherwise, UF and FSU at sticker are a better deal than a full ride at Miami, given how absurdly expensive both COA and COL are in Miami.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about any of these schools.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:16 am

Current UF law student - got into both but admittedly didn't consider FSU. The differences, from my perspective are negligible though. Geographically, UF is generally stronger in Central and South Florida and FSU is stronger in the Panhandle. Overall UF has a slightly higher reputation. FSU has an edge for sure if you want to work in state administrative agencies in Tallahassee but both will get you a prosecutor position.

My advice - visit both schools and ask a lot of questions. Go to whichever school feels right. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:18 am

gta wrote:
AT9 wrote:
gta wrote:

This is not true.

Technically, sure. But I think the poster is equating "flagship" with "most prestigious." And the U of State is typically more prestigois than State U.

But I think we're a tad off topic now....

I'd say it's pretty accurate: Alabama, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia,Kentucky... pretty much in the entire south University of ____ is more prestigious than ____ State University. I'd also argue UF is the flagship. It is a member of the AAU (http://www.aau.edu/), consistently ranked a to 15 public university overall, and is the top ranked University in practically ever major (business, engineering, etc.).

But, that is off topic (or is it).

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:24 am

nebula666 wrote:Well to get back on topic,

I think generally the consensus is UF for private practice and FSU for government. If one is noticeably cheaper, I'd take that one. Gainesville has slightly lower COL than Tallahassee but tuition is just about the same. If you visit one school and like it significantly more than the other, I would go there. UF is definitely not more "cut-throat" than FSU but UF has more students. UF is considered one of the most outgoing/social law schools but Tallahassee has a better nightlife than Gainesville without question. You have a better opportunity to land something in Tallahassee for over the summer while there are much fewer law jobs in Gainesville. UF probably has slightly more pull for working in Miami than does FSU.

The only scenario in which someone should go to Miami is if they (1) have the $100k scholarship; and (2) can live at home. Otherwise, UF and FSU at sticker are a better deal than a full ride at Miami, given how absurdly expensive both COA and COL are in Miami.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about any of these schools.

Miami's not even in the picture. Their scholarship stipulations are crazy. Plus, there are rampant rumors of section stacking (putting all scholarship students in the same section guaranteeing half will lose them and face financial ruin). Not to mention their terrible ranking and 10% first year attrition rate (probably those that lost scholarships).

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:17 pm

I should have been more specific. Regarding prestige and relative rankings, I am referring only to Florida schools, more specifically, UF vs. FSU. I don't think anyone would equate UF or FSU with Michigan, UVA, UNC, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, etc. I am merely speaking as a Florida resident seeking to attend the top law school in FL (this thread is to debate that) for the purpose of practicing law in FL. I understand that Duke, Vanderbilt, and Emory are better for this but my stats and debt aversion don't allow for any of those to be viable options.

I am definitely NOT a UF homer. I grew up a FSU fan and thoroughly enjoyed hating the Gators and Hurricanes. I even did my undergrad at FSU. Yet now, as an adult, I am seeking input on which JD is more valuable as I am more interested in career and economic success (aka $$$$$$$) and trying not to be blinded by my history with FSU. After all, isn't that why we all want to be attorneys?

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:54 am

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

star fox

Postby star fox » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:32 am

Re Take go to T14. Winston >>> Tebow.

oblitigate

Postby oblitigate » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:55 am

Roberrrrto wrote:I should have been more specific. Regarding prestige and relative rankings, I am referring only to Florida schools, more specifically, UF vs. FSU. I don't think anyone would equate UF or FSU with Michigan, UVA, UNC, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, etc. I am merely speaking as a Florida resident seeking to attend the top law school in FL (this thread is to debate that) for the purpose of practicing law in FL. I understand that Duke, Vanderbilt, and Emory are better for this but my stats and debt aversion don't allow for any of those to be viable options.

I am definitely NOT a UF homer. I grew up a FSU fan and thoroughly enjoyed hating the Gators and Hurricanes. I even did my undergrad at FSU. Yet now, as an adult, I am seeking input on which JD is more valuable as I am more interested in career and economic success (aka $$$$$$$) and trying not to be blinded by my history with FSU. After all, isn't that why we all want to be attorneys?

You're in for a suprise if you think you're going to land a job making a lot of money from UF.

envisciguy

Postby envisciguy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:30 am

oblitigate wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:I should have been more specific. Regarding prestige and relative rankings, I am referring only to Florida schools, more specifically, UF vs. FSU. I don't think anyone would equate UF or FSU with Michigan, UVA, UNC, Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, etc. I am merely speaking as a Florida resident seeking to attend the top law school in FL (this thread is to debate that) for the purpose of practicing law in FL. I understand that Duke, Vanderbilt, and Emory are better for this but my stats and debt aversion don't allow for any of those to be viable options.

You're in for a suprise if you think you're going to land a job making a lot of money from UF.

Or FSU for that matter.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:25 pm

envisciguy wrote:
oblitigate wrote:

Or FSU for that matter.

That depends on one's interpretation of "a lot of money". If one makes $70,000 (UF's median private sector salary per 2012 NALP) in Florida, a state without an income tax, they can live a pretty comfortable life. I realize that the same $70,000 in New York, DC, and parts of California would be poverty wages, especially after taxes, but in FL the cost of living is relatively low. Would I like to make more? Of course, but $70,000 is not a terrible place to start, especially with 30+ years to build on it.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:50 pm

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:17 pm

I know this thread isn't about Miami (I should know, I am the OP) but someone brought up Miami and I found this link in a thread about Miami and found it hilarious. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d1aTm2ihko

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:26 pm

UF because 1/3 of FSU's enrollment is transfers

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:35 pm

californiauser wrote:UF because 1/3 of FSU's enrollment is transfers

Wow! I never thought of even looking at that. I found via google (I cannot vouch for accuracy) that FSU's transfers in are: 74 in 2010; 45 in 2009; 61 in 2008; 60 in 2007; 59 in 2006. That's a good chunk of the class. Interesting... do transfer LSATs and GPAs count in the rankings?

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:
californiauser wrote:UF because 1/3 of FSU's enrollment is transfers

Wow! I never thought of even looking at that. I found via google (I cannot vouch for accuracy) that FSU's transfers in are: 74 in 2010; 45 in 2009; 61 in 2008; 60 in 2007; 59 in 2006. That's a good chunk of the class. Interesting... do transfer LSATs and GPAs count in the rankings?

Found my own answer. According to Ann Ivey, nope http://lawschoolexpert.com/application- ... r-student/

Bless

Postby Bless » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 am

3L at FSU Law here. As others have mentioned, this topic has been beaten to death, so the search function could do you some justice. Nevertheless, I will offer a little bit of insight. And I'm not trying to sell you on FSU Law -- you should attend wherever feels best to you.

You seem pretty informed on the pros/cons of the schools. I only disagree with your synopses in a few respects.

Firstly, I don't think that FSU's undergrad reputation, which is admittedly much weaker than UF's, plays any role in the legal hiring process. Legal employers do not care how good the "overall reputation" of the university is. They care about the quality of the law school, which is demonstrated by the practicing alumni, the professors, and the rankings. FSU Law has a very strong reputation in Florida and is respected in other parts of the southeast as well. I wouldn't concern yourself with what the undergrad is like; focus on the law school.

And FSU doesn't have a reputation for hosting the UF-rejects. That's simply untrue. MANY students at our school were admitted to UF and even "better" (a la higher ranked) schools than UF. Also, our school is basically divided 50/50 between UF and FSU undergrads; which school comprises the majority tends to shift back and forth each year.

A few things that make FSU Law stand out: the faculty, the location, and the overall community.

Our faculty is pretty renowned. I encourage you to do some research on our faculty. We have many of the top scholars in the country teaching at our school, and our law school has been repeatedly praised in the faculty category. More importantly, I can attest that almost all of the professors I have had have been excellent (the best I have ever had, without a shadow of a doubt). I can't speak for UF's faculty; I'm sure their faculty is strong, but I seriously doubt it is as strong as FSU's. FSU's faculty is posted on the website at law.fsu.edu. Take a look.

Also, the Tallahassee location offers amazing resources. My first year, I interned at the Senate and then the House of Representatives. This was pivotal for me because my resume was pretty pathetic, lol. The internship was unpaid and it was only for about 8 hours a week (there's a limit as to how much you can work your first year), but I gained terrific experience and I was able to start building my resume (and connections) immediately. There is a plethora of law firms up here as well; as a 3L, I now work for a well respected appellate firm just a block away from the law school.

Lastly, the community at FSU Law is special. Admittedly, when I was applying to law school, I didn't care at all as to what the communities were like at the schools to which I applied, but let me firmly tell you that the community is pivotal. Law school is three years long, and especially during your first year, your happiness is going to be really important. Cutthroat students don't exist here; the truth is, if someone acts like that at FSU, they get outcaste. The students are universally supportive of one another and the professors are engaging and friendly (I have VERY strong personal relationships with several professors at the school). The students are also very social; we hang out with one another outside of school. We have a student social organization which hosts socials weekly, and our students always pack the events. I feel like a total cornball saying this, but FSU Law is a big family. It's really something special.

Both UF and FSU are good schools, so congrats on having the option of choosing between the two. You should visit the two schools and go with your intuition. Try to figure out where you think you will be happiest and attend that school. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I hope this post helps. Good luck.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:50 am

Thanks for the insight Bless.
It seems that a lot of FSU law students are always raving about the student body, professors, and the community. I know ultimately what's important is the return on your investment, but it's nonetheless nice and exciting to hear about the supportive environment.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”