UF Law v. FSU Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF Law or FSU Law (costs being equal)

UF Law
72
53%
FSU Law
64
47%
 
Total votes: 136

User avatar
tortsandtiaras
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby tortsandtiaras » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:10 pm

I am on this boat right now - applied to both UF and FSU. Not sure which one I am leaning towards at the moment. :?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15418
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby sublime » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:13 pm

..

User avatar
tortsandtiaras
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby tortsandtiaras » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:47 am

Well, I am applying to about 14 schools (all of which are out of state except for UF and FSU). Unfortunately, given my numbers, I am probably going to end up deciding between UF or FSU because of $$$. I really want to specialize in International Human Rights Law.
I am from Miami, so staying at UF would be easy to go back and forth on weekends. However, FSU is really rising on the ranks. Any input?

Thank you, friend :)

sublime wrote:
legallyrose wrote:I am on this boat right now - applied to both UF and FSU. Not sure which one I am leaning towards at the moment. :?



What are your goals? Where do you want to work geographically?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15418
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby sublime » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:32 am

..

Roberrrrto
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:39 am

legallyrose wrote:Well, I am applying to about 14 schools (all of which are out of state except for UF and FSU). Unfortunately, given my numbers, I am probably going to end up deciding between UF or FSU because of $$$. I really want to specialize in International Human Rights Law.
I am from Miami, so staying at UF would be easy to go back and forth on weekends. However, FSU is really rising on the ranks. Any input?

Thank you, friend :)

sublime wrote:
legallyrose wrote:I am on this boat right now - applied to both UF and FSU. Not sure which one I am leaning towards at the moment. :?



What are your goals? Where do you want to work geographically?


Sublime is right. Based on what I've seen international law is more of a niche than anything. However, Miami is one of those global cities that has it.

I had the same concern last year and was torn up until the very end when I chose UF over FSU. The reason I chose UF is I talked to practicing attorneys in the same field I wanted to practice and they all agreed that UF was the vastly superior school. One of them who told me this told me he personally hated UF because he didn't get in (he was a federal clerk and now an associate at a national firm so his word carries weight) so for him to say UF was vastly superior meant a lot. He also told me to look at the size of FSU's transfer class. He told me that it's widely known that FSU accepts over 60 transfer students each year in order to game the rankings (transfer LSATs and GPAs don't count for the rankings). I visited both campuses and strongly preferred FSU and Tallahassee over UF and Gainesville, but at the end of the day, I could not convince myself that UF wasn't the best school in the state. Remember that most hiring partners don't even know or care about the rankings. Even if FSU remains slightly higher ranked (wait until March to see for sure), it won't change the mind of older attorneys (the ones with hiring authority) on whether UF is the best school as it has been since the dawn of time. I hope this helps.

UF does have a International & Comparative Law Certificate if that matters to you.

BigZuck
Posts: 10880
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:02 am

What do you guys mean by international law and how, specifically, does Miami have it?

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby North » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:36 am

BigZuck wrote:What do you guys mean by international law and how, specifically, does Miami have it?

You know, BigZuck. The kind where you get to re-write a couple poor countries' constitutions every year in between horseback tours and wine tastings. Or like when you crank out draft UN resolutions saving children from human trafficking while waiting for the extra pineapple to be added to the Mai Tai you ordered. That's a big niche market in Miami.

NOTE: Certificate in relevant subject from best school in Florida required.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:56 am

BigZuck wrote:What do you guys mean by international law and how, specifically, does Miami have it?


Well if you speak Spanish, you can do doc review for South American corporate deals. That's pretty sexy

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:00 am

Just took the time to read this thread. It delivered. Hahaha I really think Roberto might be a clever FSU admin. Playing the long and subtle con.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:01 am

runinthefront wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:Will do. So.... why are you even posting in this thread again? Clearly, T-14 is preferable to both UF and FSU. Just trolling... again (I read your earlier remarks).


You literally embody everything that is wrong with Florida


Also this killed me.

Roberrrrto
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:43 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Roberrrrto » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:08 am

BigZuck wrote:What do you guys mean by international law and how, specifically, does Miami have it?


Miami is the gateway to Latin America. Spanish is the dominant language of the city, there is a ton of Latin American investment and a lot of lawyers focused on assisting international clients in making those investments.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:29 am

bk1 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:In my short time here, we've had 2 federal judges on campus, numerous attorneys, etc. Also, and more importantly, during the week prior to class starting (during orientation) and during the first 5 weeks of class, multiple law firms were on campus EVERY SINGLE DAY interviewing UF Law students.

You realize these things happen at every law school in the country, right?

:lol:


Two federal judges? Damn it I should have transferred.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:46 am

Cicero76 wrote:
bk1 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:In my short time here, we've had 2 federal judges on campus, numerous attorneys, etc. Also, and more importantly, during the week prior to class starting (during orientation) and during the first 5 weeks of class, multiple law firms were on campus EVERY SINGLE DAY interviewing UF Law students.

You realize these things happen at every law school in the country, right?

:lol:


Two federal judges? Damn it I should have transferred.


He gives away the troll with this one though. Multiple law firms were on campus (swipes the caps lock) EVERY SINGLE DAY.

should-i-do-it
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby should-i-do-it » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:19 pm

Would going to UF/FSU without ties to FL but also no debt be a very bad idea?

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15418
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby sublime » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:26 pm

..

should-i-do-it
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:45 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby should-i-do-it » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:53 pm

sublime wrote:
should-i-do-it wrote:Would going to UF/FSU without ties to FL but also no debt be a very bad idea?


probably imo. Why do you want to work on Florida? And if you don't it is def a bad idea.

Weather

wat
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:46 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby wat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:
legallyrose wrote:Well, I am applying to about 14 schools (all of which are out of state except for UF and FSU). Unfortunately, given my numbers, I am probably going to end up deciding between UF or FSU because of $$$. I really want to specialize in International Human Rights Law.
I am from Miami, so staying at UF would be easy to go back and forth on weekends. However, FSU is really rising on the ranks. Any input?

Thank you, friend :)

sublime wrote:
legallyrose wrote:I am on this boat right now - applied to both UF and FSU. Not sure which one I am leaning towards at the moment. :?



What are your goals? Where do you want to work geographically?


Sublime is right. Based on what I've seen international law is more of a niche than anything. However, Miami is one of those global cities that has it.

I had the same concern last year and was torn up until the very end when I chose UF over FSU. The reason I chose UF is I talked to practicing attorneys in the same field I wanted to practice and they all agreed that UF was the vastly superior school. One of them who told me this told me he personally hated UF because he didn't get in (he was a federal clerk and now an associate at a national firm so his word carries weight) so for him to say UF was vastly superior meant a lot. He also told me to look at the size of FSU's transfer class. He told me that it's widely known that FSU accepts over 60 transfer students each year in order to game the rankings (transfer LSATs and GPAs don't count for the rankings). I visited both campuses and strongly preferred FSU and Tallahassee over UF and Gainesville, but at the end of the day, I could not convince myself that UF wasn't the best school in the state. Remember that most hiring partners don't even know or care about the rankings. Even if FSU remains slightly higher ranked (wait until March to see for sure), it won't change the mind of older attorneys (the ones with hiring authority) on whether UF is the best school as it has been since the dawn of time. I hope this helps.

UF does have a International & Comparative Law Certificate if that matters to you.



UF Law students were NOT pleased to find that they had been usurped by "little brother" FSU in the rankings.

It shouldn't have been a surprise. For Law, FSU has a significant advantage by being located in the state capital. UF is stuck in Gainesville, hours from the nearest city. FSU was bound to pass UF in the rankings eventually.

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby patogordo » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:15 pm

tallahassee, a true metropolis

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15418
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby sublime » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:50 pm

..

User avatar
North
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby North » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:04 pm

.
Last edited by North on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palmetto22
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby palmetto22 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Any insight as to which school would be the better choice if you want to be a prosecutor? I know UF has prosecution clinic, but FSU has a lot more graduates go on to government work.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 am

I think I'm going to be applying to both of these schools.

If I get into one of them it's going to be hard justifying the tuition at Miami.

It seems like both of these school have more mobility in the state of Florida as compared to Miami also.

I'd be going to law school close to free with the GI Bill and either of these schools. Miami would leave me with about 75-85k of debt.

But I'm not going to lie... I really want to go to Miami... I just wish it wasn't so expensive

User avatar
tortsandtiaras
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby tortsandtiaras » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:16 am

louierodriguez wrote:I think I'm going to be applying to both of these schools.

If I get into one of them it's going to be hard justifying the tuition at Miami.

It seems like both of these school have more mobility in the state of Florida as compared to Miami also.

I'd be going to law school close to free with the GI Bill and either of these schools. Miami would leave me with about 75-85k of debt.

But I'm not going to lie... I really want to go to Miami... I just wish it wasn't so expensive


I went to Miami for undergrad...It's really not worth the 75-85k in debt. You would be in a MUCH better position by going to either UF/FSU.

User avatar
alexrodriguez
Posts: 841
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 am

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:44 pm

legallyrose wrote:
I went to Miami for undergrad...It's really not worth the 75-85k in debt. You would be in a MUCH better position by going to either UF/FSU.


I completely agree. I just sent in apps to UF and FSU.

I'm retaking though in December. So if Miami does decide to get generous with $$ it still might be something to consider. Those stipulations though... and the idea of stacking sections... I don't know if its true or not... but I definitely wouldn't gamble with the possibility of losing aid

User avatar
tortsandtiaras
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby tortsandtiaras » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Anyone started hearing back from UF yet?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Finickywalrus, MikkelVilla, mtf612 and 4 guests