UF Law v. FSU Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF Law or FSU Law (costs being equal)

UF Law
57%
FSU Law
43%

Total votes: 167

zerato5

Bronze

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Post by zerato5 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:33 am

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerato5

Bronze

Post by zerato5 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:35 am

Last edited by zerato5 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:21 pm

To answer your question, Id either pick the school that gave you the most money, or the city/law school you like the best. The difference in job prospects is pretty minuscule. Sure, FSU would be slightly geared towards government jobs and UF more towards private practice, but if you do well at FSU or UF, the differences are pretty minor

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:31 pm

RParadela wrote:To answer your question, Id either pick the school that gave you the most money, or the city/law school you like the best. The difference in job prospects is pretty minuscule. Sure, FSU would be slightly geared towards government jobs and UF more towards private practice, but if you do well at FSU or UF, the differences are pretty minor
There is an element of truth to this. However, the difference in job prospects is real. FSU is quite a bit more geared towards government jobs. UF is quite a bit more geared to private practice. The money you are offered and your feeling about the law schools should factor in. However, you should also consider what your goals are. UF will give you better opportunities with law firms. FSU will give you better opportunities with the government.

I should also point out that UF's numbers are always a tad inflated in terms of under-employment because a number of UF students opt to go to the Tax LLM program who could have gotten jobs right out of school. If you look at the LST reports for the 2015 class, 7.3% of the 14.5% unemployed UF grads are pursuing full-time degrees. Only 2.4% of the 12.7% unemployed FSU grads in the same class are pursuing full-time degrees.

Thus, UF's job numbers are a tad better than they appear to be.
zerato5 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
l3g@l33s3 wrote:
zerato5 wrote:Bumping this for updates
+1
What sort of updates do y'all want?

Personal experiences, funny anecdotes, new information (UF dean). Anything really
I think Roberto would disagree strongly with me, but I don't hold a high opinion of the new dean. I know there are a lot of people who feel the same way. In fact, there's even a fairly large faction of the faculty/administration who do not like her.

I will give the new dean that she has made the application process a lot better, she is more generous with scholarships, and UF is raising its medians. However, she's also rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, the administration doesn't feel really student-friendly, and people around campus have a lot of doubts about her staying long-term. There's a sentiment that she wants to boost the ratings in the short-term to vault her to a job with a more prestigious school.

Anyways, I wouldn't let that deter you from going to Florida, but I do think it's fair for people to know.

wat

New

Post by wat » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:17 pm

I keep hearing this argument that UF is better because FSU accepts a lot of transfers.

But does that really matter? Aren't the bar passage rates and employment numbers the bottom line? Bringing up the number of transfers seems like a deft way to blow smoke around the fact that FSU generally compares favorably on outcomes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Roberrrrto

Bronze

Post by Roberrrrto » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Well well well, new US News rankings are out and it looks like I made the right choice.

UF: 41
FSU: 48

There's also no reason to believe that UF's rank won't continue to rise. Dean Rosenbury made a commitment to the current 1L class, promising them that by the time they graduate, UF will be at least 35 or better. #UFRising

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:Well well well, new US News rankings are out and it looks like I made the right choice.

There's also no reason to believe that UF's rank won't continue to rise. Dean Rosenbury made a commitment to the current 1L class, promising them that by the time they graduate, UF will be at least 35 or better. #UFRising
no. one. cares. Those rankings are meaningless.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:23 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:Well well well, new US News rankings are out and it looks like I made the right choice.

Have you taken Contracts yet? You're in for a surprise!

Harvard_Naw

New

Post by Harvard_Naw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Not sure this really matters. I'm from Florida and have worked for both FSU and UF lawyers, and it seemed that both were biased toward hiring people from their respective schools. If someone has the choice between the two schools, it really depends on what you want to do. FSU tends to have better employment numbers in public service, whereas UF seems to excel in private practice. When I was looking for internships in undergrad, I got the feeling that UF tends to "look after their own." Though, I've heard that "Gator firms" were much more prevalent back in the early 2000s and 90s. With that being said, if I were entering law school without being sure of what I wanted to do, I would probably choose UF. I'd rather be stuck with a job at a firm, hoping to land something in public service than vice versa.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:

Not sure this really matters. I'm from Florida and have worked for both FSU and UF lawyers, and it seemed that both were biased toward hiring people from their respective schools. If someone has the choice between the two schools, it really depends on what you want to do. FSU tends to have better employment numbers in public service, whereas UF seems to excel in private practice. When I was looking for internships in undergrad, I got the feeling that UF tends to "look after their own." Though, I've heard that "Gator firms" were much more prevalent back in the early 2000s and 90s. With that being said, if I were entering law school without being sure of what I wanted to do, I would probably choose UF. I'd rather be stuck with a job at a firm, hoping to land something in public service than vice versa.
I'm guessing FSU grads will drop that bias now that there is such a chasm within the T50 between them and UF

Harvard_Naw

New

Post by Harvard_Naw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:11 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Harvard_Naw wrote:

I'm guessing FSU grads will drop that bias now that there is such a chasm within the T50 between them and UF
Possibly, but the hatred between these two schools runs so deep that I'm not sure the rankings will make much of a difference. I could see that happening if UF were a T20 or something, but with both schools being in the 40s, I don't think FSU alumni will start favoring UF grads. Though, I could be wrong.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Harvard_Naw wrote:

Possibly, but the hatred between these two schools runs so deep that I'm not sure the rankings will make much of a difference. I could see that happening if UF were a T20 or something, but with both schools being in the 40s, I don't think FSU alumni will start favoring UF grads. Though, I could be wrong.
Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

Harvard_Naw

New

Post by Harvard_Naw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:23 pm

mjb447 wrote: Pretty sure that was sarcasm.
Wait until you see these UF kids start taunting FSU for "getting crushed" in the rankings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:
mjb447 wrote: Pretty sure that was sarcasm.
Wait until you see these UF kids start taunting FSU for "getting crushed" in the rankings.
Fair. BigZuck's work in the USNWR rankings thread just suggests to me that he's open to a little trolling and probably doesn't have a dog in this fight.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”