UF Law v. FSU Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UF Law or FSU Law (costs being equal)

UF Law
53%
FSU Law
47%

Total votes: 135

Roberrrrto

UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Roberrrrto » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 am

Okay, so I have been admitted to both and as a Florida resident, both COAs are essentially identical. I don't know exactly what I want to do with my JD but am down to Corporate Law (I already have a MBA) or Prosecutor. Here's how I view it so far:

UF Advantages:
University's overall prestige: Ranked 49 v FSU's 91
Law school's reputation as top school in FL since forever
Median salary is equal to FSU's 75% salary
Larger OCI
Chance at Big Law
Loyal Alumni
Florida's flagship University (any school that is University of ... is the flagship)
Reputation as tougher to get into

UF Disadvantages:
Repuation of being cut throat
New Dean (could be good or bad)
Gainesville (nothing but the school)
Career Office's perceived lack of effort in finding students jobs
Lower employment percentage (55.6%) than FSU
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=florida

FSU Advantages:
Rising through the rankings (only 2 spots behind UF)
Tallahassee (State Supreme Court, FL Capital, Federal Appeals Court)
Friendly, colloborative student body (not cut throat)
Loyal Alumni
Active career office
Higher employment percentage (65.4%)
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fsu

FSU Disadvantages:
Perception as the University (not necessarily law school) people go to when they can't get into UF (in undergrad, I got into FSU and not UF)
Despite closing the ranking gap, the older attorneys (those with hiring authority) will remember UF as the better school
Distance from South Florida (Florida's largest legal market)
Lower starting salaries

I hope this thread can be a very serious discussion as it is the choice FL residents face every year. Please avoid references to SEC v. ACC football (national championships included) and focus only on important factors like employment prospects. And for heaven's sake, no mentions of T14 or retaking the LSAT again and again.

Ramius

Re: UF Law v. FSU Law

Postby Ramius » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:05 am

This has been discussed ad nauseum, so you could just use the search function. Other than that, just use LST.com for employment prospects and base your decision on your goals and the cost of each. Long story short, they are different, but essentially equal in almost all respects.

Edit: it's referred to as LST, but it's actually lawschooltransparency.com

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:07 am

The SEC is better. If you want biglaw you need to go to a T-14. If you haven't maxed out attempts, or hit 170, retake.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:14 am

Just curious, did you apply to Miami? If not, why not?

I'll be applying to UF, FSU, and UM. I have a feeling I'll get accepted to all three and I really would like to study and practice in Miami.

I know it's not the best school, but still, it's Miami, and there is still opportunity their despite its ranking.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:30 am

louierodriguez wrote:
I know it's not the best school, but still, it's Miami, and there is still opportunity their despite its ranking.

What the hell is so great about Miami that people keep defending UM by going "Well, you know, Miami." It has some nice areas, sure, but it has a lot of shitty areas too, and it's muggy as hell.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:35 am

louierodriguez wrote:Just curious, did you apply to Miami? If not, why not?

I'll be applying to UF, FSU, and UM. I have a feeling I'll get accepted to all three and I really would like to study and practice in Miami.

I don't really have a good explanation.

I actually don't know what I'd do if accepted to all three. I just feel like if I went to UM I'd really be sticking to my roots. Probably not a good way to choose a law school, but it's true... and I'm not even from Miami. I'm from Broward. Also, on another note and completely unrelated... the JAG at my current command went to Miami... just saying

vicpin5190

Post removed.

Postby vicpin5190 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:45 am

Post removed.
Last edited by vicpin5190 on Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:15 am

I did apply to Miami and have been accepted with a generous scholarship (25k per year) making the tuition equal with UF and FSU. For me, UM is out of the running because of the top half of the class stipulation. While I have no intention of being in the bottom half of the class, there is a 50% chance I will be which would cause me to lose the scholarship and add 50k to my debt.

Plus, UM is so much lower ranked that UF and FSU, when I print out the rankings they are literally on different pages. I also visited all 3 and came away from UM concerned. I didn't see enough parking, housing near the campus is insanely expensive (I can literally walk across the street to class at UF and FSU), the school itself doesn't feel like a prestigious law school (more like a shopping mall in Singapore), and I didn't see enough study spaces in the library for the approximately 1000 students there.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Do/will you have scholarships to either? Any other way to pay for some of it? I don't think either is worth the full price, even in-state. You're looking at over $100k for both without any other aid.

In the end, if you get some $, I'd go with whichever is cheaper.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 pm

louierodriguez wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:Also, on another note and completely unrelated... the JAG at my current command went to Miami... just saying

Anecdotes, man. Do you even have a real LSAT yet? What happened to "Harvard or Death!"?

I'm not saying you should be Harvard or Death, but there's a LOT of decent options between HYS and UM. Don't sell yourself short before you even take the LSAT.

vicpin5190 wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:

What the hell is so great about Miami that people keep defending UM by going "Well, you know, Miami." It has some nice areas, sure, but it has a lot of shitty areas too, and it's muggy as hell.

Can't speak to the law school at all, and won't, but the actual area is fantastic and I miss it dearly. If Miami were a t14 law school, I would say it would be the most desirable place to go as it is just surrounded by so much and it's a generally comfortable, entertaining place to live. You can't get bored even if you tried.

Also I would take warm and muggy over negative degree wind chills and snow every single day of the week. Winter is one of the shittiest things anyone can deal with.

ETA: I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, but i spent a good chunk of time in Miami as well.

Yeah, I mean, I understand that it has a good party scene and the weather is generally nice. Same holds true for Honolulu. I used to live there, and I can tell you that the weather is probably the best on the planet. Doesn't make going to the University of Hawaii Law any less dumb. (I know you're not shilling for UMiami, just saying I see people making the "UMiami is good because I like Miami" argument.)

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:16 pm

AT9 wrote:Do/will you have scholarships to either? Any other way to pay for some of it? I don't think either is worth the full price, even in-state. You're looking at over $100k for both without any other aid.

Both cost the same for me which is about $30k total including housing so it is not a factor.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:18 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:This has been discussed ad nauseum, so you could just use the search function. Other than that, just use LST.com for employment prospects and base your decision on your goals and the cost of each. Long story short, they are different, but essentially equal in almost all respects.

This has indeed been discussed ad nauseum but there's nothing in 2014 on the subject and those talks usually lose focus fast on things that don't contribute to career opportunities (parties, SEC v ACC, etc).

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:This has been discussed ad nauseum, so you could just use the search function. Other than that, just use LST.com for employment prospects and base your decision on your goals and the cost of each. Long story short, they are different, but essentially equal in almost all respects.

This has indeed been discussed ad nauseum but there's nothing in 2014 on the subject and those talks usually lose focus fast on things that don't contribute to career opportunities (parties, SEC v ACC, etc).

That'll happen in online forums, but the good stuff in those discussions remains the same today. In the law school world, there's pretty much pre- and post-crash. Use LST, look at the costs of both, your goals and make a decision. Nothing else really matters in any meaningful way.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:27 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:
AT9 wrote:Do/will you have scholarships to either? Any other way to pay for some of it? I don't think either is worth the full price, even in-state. You're looking at over $100k for both without any other aid.

Both cost the same for me which is about $30k total including housing so it is not a factor.

Since that's the case...

Do you want the benefit of graduating from the most "prestigois" school in the state? UF.
Do you like Gainesville better? UF.
Do you like Tallahassee better? FSU.
Prefer government work? Probaby FSU.
Prefer private practice? Probably UF.
Want a better shot at becoming an attorney? Probably FSU.

Usually the "visit and see which one feels right" advice for people choosing schools doesn't hold much weight, but here it does. These two schools are similar enough that there's no clear answer, it's just your preference. I feel your pain because I've also been accepted at both and struggled with it for a while, but finally decided on going elsewhere. Good luck!

MistakenGenius

Post removed.

Postby MistakenGenius » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:39 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:29 am

Since you're on the fence and because the schools are only 2 hours apart, there's nothing to do at this point but visit. A couple of years ago when I was naive and thought I wanted to practice family law in Naples, FL, I was considering UF and took a tour. They do a great job selling the place, are beyond friendly, and the law campus itself is easily accessible and small (compared to how the rest of the school is so spread out). I've been to Gainesville for various social events, and beyond the school and the very much college student-catered "downtown", it's a swamp. It is arguably closer to real cities like Orlando and Tampa, though, but it's not like you'll have free weekends to go wild at Disney World.

I went to FSU for undergrad and after four years, I'm over it and am very much ready to be in a real city. But there are some great things about Tallahassee (namely, food and bars. Our malls - if you can call them that - are a nightmare). Either city would get old quick, but the majority of your time is going to be dedicated to your studies, so putting up with a city is a little irrelevant. I think corporate law is only realistic if you attend UF, do very well, and maybe work in Tampa, Orlando, or Miami. I think it'd be very difficult to enter out-of-state corporate markets (e.g., Atlanta), coming from UF - or any FL school. FSU makes sense if you want to go the prosecution route (for obvious reasons).

From an aesthetic perspective: If you're a single man....go to Tallahassee. The girls here are phenomenally stunning (yes, I'm a little biased as one of these women). If you're a single women....go to Gainesville. The men there are pretty great looking, and the men in Tallahassee sometimes have that whole Southern hick thing (not) working for them. "Greek life" is big at both schools, and pretty much irrelevant once you're in grad school, but I think the Greek presence at FSU is larger and more obnoxious (because some older Greeks inevitably go to bars that are mostly populated by grad students). If you're in a relationship, disregard. Unless you're into that kind of thing.
(^Please note that that's me being flippant since you're so stuck b/t the two.)

Overall, it looks like you're stuck in limbo with your pros/cons, and the only thing left to do is plan a visit. As a Florida resident, this should be pretty easy to manage. Good luck with your decision.

Also, the whole "you go to FSU if you didn't get into UF" is getting really old. I got into both, and just liked FSU's vibe better. I highly doubt the UG stereotype is going to follow you to law school. Personally, I would go with UF, because your bases are mostly covered if you want to pursue either avenue you mentioned, but I think you're locking yourself into prosecution with FSU.

phireblast

Postby phireblast » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 pm

Also stuck between UF and FSU, and currently leaning towards FSU.
I've searched every thread ever created with regard to UF/FSU but I think a 2014 thread is warranted. While there is some good nuggets of information in the old threads, naturally, there are a lot of irrelevant things due to the passage of time.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:08 pm

How much will each of them cost you

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:51 pm

oblitigate

Postby oblitigate » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:

I did apply to Miami and have been accepted with a generous scholarship (25k per year) making the tuition equal with UF and FSU. For me, UM is out of the running because of the top half of the class stipulation. While I have no intention of being in the bottom half of the class, there is a 50% chance I will be which would cause me to lose the scholarship and add 50k to my debt.

Plus, UM is so much lower ranked that UF and FSU, when I print out the rankings they are literally on different pages. I also visited all 3 and came away from UM concerned. I didn't see enough parking, housing near the campus is insanely expensive (I can literally walk across the street to class at UF and FSU), the school itself doesn't feel like a prestigious law school (more like a shopping mall in Singapore), and I didn't see enough study spaces in the library for the approximately 1000 students there.

You print out the rankings . . .

FSU has *much* hotter girls, and trust me, that matters

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:27 pm

phireblast wrote:Also stuck between UF and FSU, and currently leaning towards FSU.
I've searched every thread ever created with regard to UF/FSU but I think a 2014 thread is warranted. While there is some good nuggets of information in the old threads, naturally, there are a lot of irrelevant things due to the passage of time.

I'm glad you agree on the need for a 2014 thread. As we can see from the activity on this thread, it's a tough choice, and each year it becomes tougher.

I'm leaning towards UF right now because of the prestige factor. I definitely enjoyed my FSU campus visit more and like Tallahassee waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I like Gainesville, but UF's median income (private sector only) is the same as FSU's 75%. Also, even though the rankings are close now, UF has been higher forever and has the reputation among the baby boomers as the better school. I think if FSU ever did pass UF in the rankings that UF would simply cut the class size to increase the standard.

One thing that has really caught my attention in these threads is the UF v. Emory or UF v. Vandy threads. It seems no one would pick FSU over Emory or Vandy so for UF to be in that conversation (and with most people telling the OP to save money and go to UF) it just confirms that UF has the mystique of being elite.

One final thing I'd like to mention is the quality of the websites and viewbook (which UF calls Prospectus... oh why UF must you insist on doing everything differently). UF is infinitely better in both and reading the work experience of both schools' professors gives UF another edge.

Still... I love FSU and Tally so it is very tough. Happier 3 years vs. better life (aka higher income) long term

Neither school participates in the Loan Repayment plan for public service so that's out as a consideration too.

Roberrrrto

Postby Roberrrrto » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:29 pm

oblitigate wrote:
Roberrrrto wrote:

You print out the rankings . . .

FSU has *much* hotter girls, and trust me, that matters

Yes I'm old school and like to print things out and I'm married so girls aren't really in the thought process. Though I will say it is nice to look at the menu, I just can't order anything.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:
phireblast wrote:Also stuck between UF and FSU, and currently leaning towards FSU.

I'm glad you agree on the need for a 2014 thread. As we can see from the activity on this thread, it's a tough choice, and each year it becomes tougher.

I'm leaning towards UF right now because of the prestige factor. I definitely enjoyed my FSU campus visit more and like Tallahassee waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I like Gainesville, but UF's median income (private sector only) is the same as FSU's 75%. Also, even though the rankings are close now, UF has been higher forever and has the reputation among the baby boomers as the better school. I think if FSU ever did pass UF in the rankings that UF would simply cut the class size to increase the standard.

One thing that has really caught my attention in these threads is the UF v. Emory or UF v. Vandy threads. It seems no one would pick FSU over Emory or Vandy so for UF to be in that conversation (and with most people telling the OP to save money and go to UF) it just confirms that UF has the mystique of being elite.

One final thing I'd like to mention is the quality of the websites and viewbook (which UF calls Prospectus... oh why UF must you insist on doing everything differently). UF is infinitely better in both and reading the work experience of both schools' professors gives UF another edge.

Still... I love FSU and Tally so it is very tough. Happier 3 years vs. better life (aka higher income) long term

Neither school participates in the Loan Repayment plan for public service so that's out as a consideration too.

UF isn't elite. Prestige should not be a factor in this decision. That be like shopping at target only because it's fancier than Wal-Mart.

mes10d

Postby mes10d » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Roberrrrto wrote:

I think you found your answer in the bold. It's only 3 years.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:39 pm

rad lulz wrote:How much will each of them cost you

Return to “Choosing a Law School”