UCONN School of Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
liebs378

UCONN School of Law

Postby liebs378 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:22 am

Thoughts on UCONN law school? perhaps versus Quinnipiac or Northeastern?

romothesavior

Re: UCONN School of Law

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:27 am

TheodoreKGB

Postby TheodoreKGB » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:36 am

Last edited by TheodoreKGB on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liebs378

Postby liebs378 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:41 am

was also looking at Brooklyn and American as well

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:42 am

liebs378 wrote:was also looking at Brooklyn and American as well

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:50 am

If picking only out of the schools you mentioned, then UConn even without instate intuition. But don't go if you have to pay OOS tuition. I wouldn't think it's a bad deal if you go for instate tuition and close to free and you'd like small firm work in CT. Lots of ands. Can you live at home and go on close to a full ride with instate tuition? Perhaps TLS would be OK with that.

JustHawkin

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:24 am

As long as you're fine with living in CT and the price is right, UConn is the only worthwhile option here.

banjo

Postby banjo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Connecticut is a small market and you're competing with people from Connecticut who attended BU/BC/Fordham and T14s. The COL is high in the job-rich parts of the state. All of your options are risky.

By the way, many CT firms ask for ties.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:51 pm

banjo wrote:Connecticut is a small market and you're competing with people from Connecticut who attended BU/BC/Fordham and T14s. The COL is high in the job-rich parts of the state. All of your options are risky.

Would generic New England ties be insufficient? Or would those go above the non-NEers but below the CT ties, with other things about equal?

banjo

Postby banjo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Otunga wrote:
banjo wrote:Connecticut is a small market and you're competing with people from Connecticut who attended BU/BC/Fordham and T14s. The COL is high in the job-rich parts of the state. All of your options are risky.

Would generic New England ties be insufficient? Or would those go above the non-NEers but below the CT ties, with other things about equal?

I think the second category is right. You can certainly sell New England ties, especially if you enjoy golf, skiing or the outdoors more generally. NE has a distinct culture. Interestingly, I've heard that there's a difference even between Hartford (NE culture) and Stamford (NYC culture).

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:20 pm

banjo wrote:
Otunga wrote:

I think the second category is right. You can certainly sell New England ties, especially if you enjoy golf, skiing or the outdoors more generally. NE has a distinct culture. Interestingly, I've heard that there's a difference even between Hartford (NE culture) and Stamford (NYC culture).

Definitely true. Fairfield County is more New Yorky than New Englandy.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 pm

stillwater wrote:
banjo wrote:
Otunga wrote:

Definitely true. Fairfield County is more New Yorky than New Englandy.

I've barely even been to CT (RI and Mass person), so all that is interesting to know.

LafayetteJeff

Postby LafayetteJeff » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:08 pm

Don't see a lot of UConn'ers in the NYC market. The field is crowded. If you apply yourself, then maybe. If you want NYC, any tier 1 in the city or the north jersey schools will be better. If you think you may want to practice in Connecticut, then UConn may make more sense-- but you better want that.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Eek not QPac. And not Brooklyn. And not American. And I don't even know what northeastern is. Retake? From what I hear around here, UConn is at least not terrible.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 am

This did not seem to take the first two times it was posted, but

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

Return to “Choosing a Law School”